Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was looking buying a Fiesta from someone I know, but it was previously written off then fully repaired.

Is it difficult insuring a written off car? Extra cost? Restrictions?

Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im not sure on that one. It would be best to try and get a quote and see what happens (what the price is, if they ask anything etc). But personally i wouldnt touch a previous write off, but thats just me though.

ReputationRep:
    like the above commenter (hi!) i personally wouldn't go near a previously written-off whip,
    even if it's 'just' cat d or cat c.

....however, while i know it affects resale values, i do not know about cost of insurance.....sorry for my unhelpful comment above.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but I wouldn't avoid a Cat D write off if it had been repaired. Could be a bargain!

ReputationRep:
    My brother's got a cat C write off and his insurers weren't fussed about it at all. On the other hand the guy who owned it previously had to get an engineer's report before his insurers would cover him. One thing I would say is that if you've only recently passed your test you probably don't want to limit your options with regards to insurers, which a cat C or D may do.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't affect insurance pal.

If it was a Cat C then ake sure it has passed the VIC test and of course it should come with some MOT.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.