Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR Piston-Heads!!

I was looking at a thing today on the internet RE: Intensive Driving courses. I was wondering are these good and do they work?

I wanted to take about 10 or so normal lessons and then go for an intensive driving course of a few hours.

Would this work for me? I will have practice with my dad mainly and the odd ADI instruction then the Intensive.

Anyone got experience in these things?

Any Advice?

All Advice welcome ta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you are getting practice at home then you will certainly have some experience driving. Id say go for the intensive course.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it - the problem with weekly lessons is that you can forget stuff. Cram in one big go.

ReputationRep:
    Currently taking one, and I would say that it is fantastic! Finished my second lesson the other day, and I had already done dual carriageways, major junctions, major roundabouts, and obvious things like mirrors and all of that. I would (so far) deffo recommend it! And all of the above have been at evening rush hour 5-7! haha

Just to let you know, when I say second lesson I mean 3rd and 4th hour. I have having 2 hour lessons at a time.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good things about them

ReputationRep:
    There's one offered near mine, it's £400 for a weekend of lessons (12 hours) which would be £240 with my normal instructor anyway.. PLUS your theory test and practical test.. and if you fail EITHER of those, you get to take them again until you pass So it's really good value imo. BUT you have to already be an "experienced driver", and I had a couple of months of lessons with about 3 hrs per week and got through everything I need to know- just need to practice it and get passed now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking one during the summer. Get my license pink before I go. I've never had any lessons before as of yet though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll offer the contrary opinion - don't go for them. Cramming will get you through the test, but it leaves you with little time to absorb the information, so it doesn't properly stick.

A friend did one, and passed the test with flying colours. He took a break from driving for a round a month or so, and came back to realise he had real issues. Drives an automatic now - his clutch control just went out the window.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.