Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you think petrol prices will be by the end of 2011? watch

ReputationRep:
    We are already well over £1.30 for petrol and diesel seems to be £1.37 everywhere I go but do you think by the end of the year what we are paying now will be considered cheap?

When I passed 2 years ago petrol was about 89p a litre so it has increased by around 42p a litre since then and just 6 months ago it was about £1.12

I'm actually downsizing to a Toyota Aygo in a few months for its 65mpg and £10 tax, somethings got to give.

What you think?

ReputationRep:
    petrol maybe £1.60 a litre if the middle east stays in political uprising.

maybe rise towards £1.50 and drop down to £1.30 if the middle east democracy craze blows over.

it aint EVER dropping much below £1.20 as we have tax hikes on the way and since when have UK oil suppliers proportionality dropped fuel prices compared to barrel cost? never. Yet they are quick enough to bump them up! Remember we dont have a strong consumer organisation like the USA does and more importantly, energy supply is the only industry in the UK that can get round all monopoly and price fixing laws that affect consumer rights in other sectors. High tax revenue and power of OPEC and oil companies has garunteed that.

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be £1.40 by Easter and we will be nudging £1.80 by Xmas. Maybe well over £2 a litre if things don't go to plan in Libya, the world economy collapses due to the Japanese economy collapsing and Saudi losing control of its people...

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

What he said!

I would rep you but the rep thing says I have repped you too much! Haha!

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are all saying but I doubt the Government could let it get up to £1.80 a litre as that would seriously **** the economy even worse than it already is.

Even if it came down to £1.15-£1.20 the vast majority of people would be happy and thats not even cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)

What you think?
    The Petrol will be singing Kanye West. "I'm, I'm sky high"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    I get what you are all saying but I doubt the Government could let it get up to £1.80 a litre as that would seriously **** the economy even worse than it already is.
    rubbish

the government would love it to be up near £1.80. think of all the extra revenue.

not just from fuel taxation but the rise in costs of every daily good we buy. remember VAT is percentage based.

Its just poor people who would be effected the most, but then they dont bolster the economy anyway. The upper working classes would be forced to make some sacrifice and everyone else wouldnt be that effected. If the well off middle classes can only afford one holiday a year instead of 2 due to increasing fuel costs then its hardly a big deal or the end of the world.

it might widen the rich poor gap again though.

People keep saying the fuel hits xxx and the world will stop but it wont.

ReputationRep:
    £2 per litre is a slow realisation that most people are coming around to. Whether or not its by the end of 2011, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    According to the news today petrol will be at 150p or more by Summer if prices keep rising like they are now.

I would like to see MP's fill up the ministerial cars with their own money and see how much it is hurting people..oh wait they would just claim it all back.

ReputationRep:
    The Economist mag a couple of weeks ago repoted that prices may rise as high as $200 a barrel, especially with the current crisies in the middle east. There were repots that said brent crude oil rose by 15% as soon as Libya kicked off. So yes £2.00 for a litre is a realistic predction.
    This potentially may see the end of the petrol feuled car, we could see the green technology for transport grow rapidly over the next few years with oil reseves drying up. Hopefully the technology will become not only competitive performance wise to todays petrol crs but also price wise.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon £2 a litre by the time the year ends.

Which may or may not cause people to take public transport to work instead.

ReputationRep:
    150p for petrol is pretty likely by summer, then depends what happens in the ME, if Libya stabilises we could see price drops but if there is even a hint of trouble in the KSA then prices will fly. Sustained prices at ever increasing levels though will force much of the world back into official recession, forcing prices back down to maybe 110-120p, for many students on a fixed 'incomes' of grants and loans this could actually be a good thing (in the short term).

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised no one has written over 9000....

But yeah I'd probably say £1.80-£2.00

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.