Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    lol... serrious? or a troll?

£2700 works out at 90 a week for a 30 week uni year, that is way more than most students I know, who get by on between £20-50... You didnt waste money on booze and going out? so what you spent it all on food... thats a lot of food...

I hope the op relises that you dont represent most students, and that £1500 is more than enough to live on for a year...

thats 500 each term, or £50 a week... if you want to go to a gig (lets say the ticket is £20) than just spend aprox. £20 on food, £10 on going out... + the gig ticket...

sorted?

Yes but I mean 52 weeks because that money has to last me the summer holidays too. Including driving lessons for all that year at £21 a week, which I probably should have mentioned in my first post, then my point would have been clearer.
    So that's minus £1,500 already. (not including tests.)

That left me with 1,200 which is £23 a week and I managed to save some money too.

I'm just saying, I managed on that amount but things are much more comfortable now I have a job, and most students do end up getting a job at some point during their degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpnowplease)
    Hi, im pretty much stressing about university fees. Earlier, i worked out it would cost me around £8,000 a year. Probably even £10,000. However, my accomodation will cost me £3777, and my loan ...well here:

If you live away from parental home
    Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £4412
    Tuition Fee Loan - Paid directly to your college/university £3375
    Higher Education Maintenance Grant - Paid directly to you £1077

That isn't enough money? My parents can't help me out. :/ My dads wages last year april were 34,446..but now have been cut down by 5,000..so what do i do?

My parents havnt got money saved, and teh loan isn't enough? i'm just stressing, hwo do other peopel cope? :/

I've been trying to geta job since i was 16, and so far ..no success. so cna anone help me out?
    You do not need £10,000!

Accommodation att £3777 + food at £25/week for 30 weeks = £4527.

So you wil have £962 left for 30 weeks at uni, which is £32 a week. This is enough to live on in an emergency (ie you aren't going to starve), and remember you will be living on a campus so no transport costs! For law, you normally just need 1 textbook for each module and everything else is online in journals, or in the library.

Going out/etc would proabbly cost more than £32 a week, so you can use your overdraft if you want (Natwest offer £1000 overdraft), and then try and get a job to top that up. Perfectly manageable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelWest)
    Yes but I mean 52 weeks because that money has to last me the summer holidays too. Including driving lessons for all that year at £21 a week, which I probably should have mentioned in my first post, then my point would have been clearer.
    So that's minus £1,500 already. (not including tests.)

That left me with 1,200 which is £23 a week and I managed to save some money too.

I'm just saying, I managed on that amount but things are much more comfortable now I have a job, and most students do end up getting a job at some point during their degree.
    ah ok, that makes much more sense now

ReputationRep:
    Angel is absolutely correct. Students may have to live conservativly on occasion but, if anything, that is good training for the realities of life!

I must just mention one thing. You make it out as if you come from a completely destitute background... When I applied for university, my household income was £14,000 but I survived.

You'll be just fine! Enjoy your studies and life you will be creating for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Your getting a lot more than me, I'm only entitled to a basic maintenance loan. Granted, my parents can help me out with accommodation, but I won't be able to afford lots of concerts and other things you said, as many people wont. I would say your gonna have quite a bit to live on, and if your really stressed go for the cheapest accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpnowplease)
    Hi, im pretty much stressing about university fees. Earlier, i worked out it would cost me around £8,000 a year. Probably even £10,000. However, my accomodation will cost me £3777, and my loan ...well here:

If you live away from parental home
    Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £4412
    Tuition Fee Loan - Paid directly to your college/university £3375
    Higher Education Maintenance Grant - Paid directly to you £1077

That isn't enough money? My parents can't help me out. :/ My dads wages last year april were 34,446..but now have been cut down by 5,000..so what do i do?

My parents havnt got money saved, and teh loan isn't enough? i'm just stressing, hwo do other peopel cope? :/

I've been trying to geta job since i was 16, and so far ..no success. so cna anone help me out?
    look for a job and maybe do part time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all that have helped and given back great feedback!- I really appreciate it!

Those of you more concerned about my typing and sentence structure...Well, :lolwut:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.