Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone here who wouldnt mind giving me sound advice towards a bio/medical application??
    or know a place where i can some some? i doubt connexions would knows, 'career advisors' at my school are a joke and admissions are probably way too busy to consider my query

would really apprieciate it

ReputationRep:
    What exactly would you like to know?? Im sure i could give some...

ReputationRep:
    If you put all your academic information (grades, subjects, work experience etc) in your original post, I'd imagine people could be of more use.

ReputationRep:
    There's a few articles on TSR. Some specifics about med schools (ie. if GCSEs aren't strong, avoid x, y and z. School A will only accept f. maths as a fourth subject...)

The PS helpers will help you improve your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    gcses, crap. abbbbcccccc
    alevels, crap. abBD

this is my 3rd year in sixth form
    my ucas profile is in my sig
    in the event i dont get into foundation med outright, i'd either apply to qmul for biomed in extra, or take another year out, both of which are really daunting, however ive gathered that there wont be as much competition next year because of the fees and graduate entry for me looks next to impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    gcses, crap. abbbbcccccc
    alevels, crap. abBD

this is my 3rd year in sixth form
    my ucas profile is in my sig
    in the event i dont get into foundation med outright, i'd either apply to qmul for biomed in extra, or take another year out, both of which are really daunting, however ive gathered that there wont be as much competition next year because of the fees and graduate entry for me looks next to impossible
    There may be reduced competition for some universities, though many may still apply to medicine in Scotland or the Republic of Ireland in order to avoid the highest fees.

Nobody really knows how the new fee structure will affect applications in detail, but the competition will still be high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    There may be reduced competition for some universities, though many may still apply to medicine in Scotland or the Republic of Ireland in order to avoid the highest fees.

Nobody really knows how the new fee structure will affect applications in detail, but the competition will still be high.
    of course no doubt about that, but less competiton = i'll have a better chance, even though it'll still be a (very very very) long shot

ReputationRep:
    of course no doubt about that, but less competiton = i'll have a better chance, even though it'll still be a (very very very) long shot
    True.

If you don't ask you don't get: If you feel medicine is the right course for you then you should definitely again, the route will depend on a number of things, your determination for one.

Graduate entry is competitive, but perhaps working towards a degree is better than numerous years spent applying to foundation courses

ReputationRep:
    True.

If you don't ask you don't get: If you feel medicine is the right course for you then you should definitely again, the route will depend on a number of things, your determination for one.

Graduate entry is competitive, but perhaps working towards a degree is better than numerous years spent applying to foundation courses
    true, thats why i want to apply to qmul because theyre allowed to apply to barts for graduate med after the first year (i need to call and confirm this actually) however i'd be broken if i still didnt get in the graduate route, which is possible as they'll be people who didnt get in a100 vying for a place, and theyll have amazing grades so..

then again there is next year is still a long shot. and i'd just do biomed in the event i dont get in, but that would be a whole year wasted, back to square one with grad entry, plus increased fees

i guess im trying to see which is the lesser evil :confused:

ReputationRep:
    true, thats why i want to apply to qmul because theyre allowed to apply to barts for graduate med after the first year (i need to call and confirm this actually) however i'd be broken if i still didnt get in the graduate route, which is possible as they'll be people who didnt get in a100 vying for a place, and theyll have amazing grades so..

then again there is next year is still a long shot. and i'd just do biomed in the event i dont get in, but that would be a whole year wasted, back to square one with grad entry, plus increased fees

i guess im trying to see which is the lesser evil :confused:
    You have to take gambles in life, and hope they pay off

All you can do is improve your application

ReputationRep:
    You have to take gambles in life, and hope they pay off

All you can do is improve your application
    *siiggghhhhh*

but thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    true, thats why i want to apply to qmul because theyre allowed to apply to barts for graduate med after the first year (i need to call and confirm this actually)
    Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Absolutely not.
    I meant apply after their first year, but they still have to finish their biomed degree and then go on to grad.. Or is that wrong as well?

ReputationRep:
    I meant apply after their first year, but they still have to finish their biomed degree and then go on to grad.. Or is that wrong as well?
    I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as that.
    its on the qmul website..

Biomedical Sciences students commencing their studies in SBCS in September 2011 can take the UKCAT test a year early in the summer following their 1st year exams (summer 2012) and apply to Barts for A100 and/or A101 Medicine through a direct scheme (initially outside UCAS). If the student's UKCAT score is equal to or above the cut-off score determined by Barts Medical School they will receive an offer for separate interviews for A100 and A101. Students who are successful at interview will then receive a conditional deferred offer for either or both medical courses for September 2014. To formalise these offers students must then apply through UCAS by mid October of their 3rd year (October 2013). Barts will make immediate formal conditional offers through the UCAS system. Students accepting these offers must complete their degree.

ReputationRep:
    its on the qmul website..
    Those stupid ****ing crayon munching counts, how ****ing retarded are they, *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Those stupid ****ing crayon munching counts, how ****ing retarded are they, *****
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    What are you bumping for? What exactly do you want to know?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.