Turn on thread page Beta

will facebook ever fail? watch

• View Poll Results: fad or no fad
    fad
    43.48%
    long term
    56.52%

ReputationRep:
    is facebook just a fad that will be replaced by some other craze, or has it become too powerful to ever be replaced?

ReputationRep:
    It's the illuminati that's behind it all, ssshhh.

ReputationRep:
    It will fail one day just like Microsoft is failing now. Eventually with the pace that technological advancements are moving at, it will cease to be relevant. Kodak and Fuji Film once dominated photography but since the age of digital photography they are shadows of their former selves. The same will eventually happen to Facebook but not for a while yet. Zuckerberg will be stinking rich either way.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, someday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poem boy)
    It will fail one day just like Microsoft is failing now. Eventually with the pace that technological advancements are moving at, it will cease to be relevant. Kodak and Fuji Film once dominated photography but since the age of digital photography they are shadows of their former selves. The same will eventually happen to Facebook but not for a while yet. Zuckerberg will be stinking rich either way.
    Dominating photography and social networking are a different kettle of fish.

I recall reading some research showing a given social network begins to lose its appeal upon saturation, however that may have been true of myspace/bebo, but facebooks appeal is perhaps that's universal and comprehensive - friends, students, colleagues, family...all on one network.

I guess there have been bigger market leaders in history that have failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Dominating photography and social networking are a different kettle of fish.

I recall reading some research showing a given social network begins to lose its appeal upon saturation, however that may have been true of myspace/bebo, but facebooks appeal is perhaps that's universal and comprehensive - friends, students, colleagues, family...all on one network.

I guess there have been bigger market leaders in history that have failed.
    Its the same analogy though, they were rendered irrelevant by a major technological shift. The same is happening to Microsoft as they failed to produce a decent mobile and cloud platform, which is where the future of computing is heading. They will remain big but not the market leaders.

ReputationRep:
    It will fail one day just like Microsoft is failing now.
    LOLWUT. How the hell its 90% market share failing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    LOLWUT. How the hell its 90% market share failing?
    Yes of the computer market but not the mobile phone, tablet or cloud market, which in coming years will overtake sales in normal computers.

http://www.uberphones.com/2011/03/wi...-market-share/

Windows Phone 7 only has 9% of the smartphone market. Apple is now even more valuable that Microsoft as a company.

ReputationRep:
    Windows 7 Phone OS hasn't even been out for 6 months yet, and i believe Apple has or has nearly peaked. Steve Jobs has supposedly got a few weeks left to live and markets shares will probably take a serious beating if he dies. The tablet market is a dud one imo and Microsoft, Amazon and Google own/host the majority of the cloud. The Xbox is doing pretty well last time i checked too.

ReputationRep:
    It will take years before Facebook will fail. I don't think it ever will.

ReputationRep:
    It will fail one day just like Microsoft is failing now.
    Are you delusional? Microsoft made $18bn profit last year. They still have the monopoly on Operating Systems.

Anyway... yes Facebook will fail, as soon as something else better comes along to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember MySpace? Yeah, that social networking website that was massive 4-5 years ago. Then a new social networking site called Facebook was created, originally meant for university/college students only. But its popularity surged extremely quickly and suddenly everyone was using Facebook. After that, MySpace became irrelevant. Of course Facebook is massive and a lot bigger than MySpace ever was, but somewhere down the line, Facebook will lose its cool and something new will take over. It could take 5-10 years or even longer, but it will eventually happen.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone still use MySpace? It's turned into a Facebook clone, the only real difference being that customisable profiles still exist. But it's far too late for MySpace, it will never recover.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will fail someday. I'm not sure it's a fad though as I think social networking is here to stay - it'll just be from a different provider.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it will, just like myspace did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    Anyone remember MySpace? Yeah, that social networking website that was massive 4-5 years ago.
    I remember MySpace, everyone used to go on about it as if it was the best thing in the world ... Similar to how before myspace people used to rave about Bebo. Facebook will fall, I don't think it will take 5 years, maybe about 3. Things don't stay popular forever, the next cool thing will come along and everyone will be buzzing about that.

ReputationRep:
    surely 500 million members is enough to keep it going for ever?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    It's certainly not going to remain the same - it's platforms will become more interesting and diverse I reckon and will do well to roll with the times, better than MySpace, Bebo, Friendster etc.

Even now, Facebook is loads more than just connecting with your mates.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.