Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Coming out as bi watch

Announcements

I've told a few people and I'm open about it if my parents wouldn't be able to find out but that's the problem, how do I come out as bi to my parents? Or at least my mum?

My mum's friend recently came out as bi (she said she had a relationship with a woman and would again) and my mum thought it was really wrong that her friend said this because she's known her for 3 years and not said anything. All the while, I was sitting there, listening to her.

I guess I've known for a long time but I've only admitted it to myself for the past 2 years however I've only started telling people (or admitting if they found out) so this really worries me that my mum will think the same! She didn't say there was anything wrong with being bi or lesbian or whatever, she just said it was wrong to come out as bi after 3 years of her friend saying nothing.

I don't even know where I would begin on telling my mum I was bi. My dad isn't much of an issue, I doubt he'd need to know because he doesn't live with us

*bump* anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea what i'd do but you might find better advice from those in the LGBT thread/society as some of them will have been/are in your shoes themselves. I'll try and find it for you..

here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=30313905

ReputationRep:
    I think it's only relevant if you're about to get into a relationship with someone of the same sex. If that is the case then the best way to do it would be to introduce your partner to them as your boyfriend/girlfriend/whatever. If not then once you do enter a relationship with someone of the same sex you can always say to your mum that she shouldn't just have assumed you were straight. If you sit her down and explain properly if she causes a fuss then I'm sure she'd be understanding of your situation.

ReputationRep:
    threesome?

ReputationRep:
    Just say it as though it isn't a big deal. The sooner you say it, the faster they'll have their heads around it and you'll be able relax about it :-)

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her. Then explain to your mum how you didn't say sooner because you weren't entirely comfortable/ready to accept it yet. If you explain your feelings to her she'll understand it better. She doesn't sound judgemental, just slightly oblivious. My mum was similar with me. Good luck

Thanks Sam! I really should get it over with but I'm so nervous it's unreal! Also, thanks for the link for the LGBT thread cause I couldn't find it anywhere! I'd rather my mum asked me and I just gave her the answer (anything to make it easier!) but that's never going to happen because she's only known me to date guys -_- thanks for the suggestions though, I'll just have to get over it at some point!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.