The Student Room Group

Japanese media restricting news to people about nuclear meltdown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9DkwIyQCkE&feature=player_embedded

Some french dude in Japan claims the media is restricting information to the people there.
I don't know whether this is real or fake, just thought I'd bring it out. The japanese tv in the video looks legit though.
Reply 1
You have to realise governments do have to manage information. They don't want to cause unnecessary panic on top of the current situation. All governments do this otherwise there would be outright mayhem.
This is ridiculous. The situation is not that bad. He's talking as if 30 million people in Tokyo are about to die. I want to slap him. Get a grip man. How dare he compare it to Chernobyl?! Fukushima is nowhere near Chernobyl levels.

CALM DOWN MAN.
Reply 3
Original post by Ewan
You have to realise governments do have to manage information. They don't want to cause unnecessary panic on top of the current situation. All governments do this otherwise there would be outright mayhem.

This.

Original post by screenager2004
This is ridiculous. The situation is not that bad. He's talking as if 30 million people in Tokyo are about to die. I want to slap him. Get a grip man. How dare he compare it to Chernobyl?! Fukushima is nowhere near Chernobyl levels.

And this.

/thread.
Reply 4
Original post by avila

And this.

/thread.

LOL chill man, I'm just sharing some info which I myself don't know whether to believe it or not. Don't hate the thread, hate the info.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm not hating anything. I was simply saying that those two have posted everything that needs to be said. :smile:

Don't believe the hysteria. Anyone who compares Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini incidents with Chernobyl is trying to cause panic. Anyone who says "the Fukushima powerplant" doesn't know their facts (there is more than one).

The most reliable news source is NHK World (on live stream at www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/ or Hotbird if you have a satellite dish). Anything else reporting on the events in Japan isn't worth watching. :frown:

Edit: I have the feeling this post is going to attract lots of negative reps. :<
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
On the contrary,

:dry:
Reply 7
I live in Tokyo and am in Tokyo right now. I offer my perspective.

It is true that the the situation is not as bad as Chernobyl right not, but that seems more by luck than judgement. Just one reactor at Chernobyl blew up because of operator error. In Fukushima, four reactors have either partly blown up, caught fire or started leaking badly. The primary containment was supposed to be indestructible. That seems not to be the case now. The situation is still not under control, and the responses are panicky and unplanned. They are pumping sea water through the cores and as far as I can tell dumping it back into the ocean. There are lethal levels of radiation around the reactors. Fortunately Tokyo is 160 miles away, which means the radiation here is very low. I have a Geiger counter so I know that for sure. So the situation looks much worse than TMI but slightly less than Chernobyl at present. I say slightly because it is not over yet, and we do not know the extent of the radioactive contamination, particularly in the ocean. The fish may be dangerous for some considerable time in the future. Many people will probably die indirectly from this radioactivity leak over the next decade or two. But the number will be dwarfed by the fatalities from the tsunami.
So you like western media's sensationalist, scaremongering, exaggerated, biased news?
Reply 9
Original post by screenager2004
How dare he compare it to Chernobyl?! Fukushima is nowhere near Chernobyl levels.

http://i.imgur.com/XKvYb.gif

The radiation level at Fukushima is 400 millisieverts/ per hour, to put that into perspective..

"In most countries the current maximum permissible dose to radiation workers is 20 mSv per year averaged over five years, with a maximum of 50 mSv in any one year."

So any going near the plant will receive eight times the yearly limit in just one hour.

(250 - 1000 mSv): Some people feel nausea and loss of appetite; bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen damaged.

Also Japan has now upgraded the accident from a level 4 to a level 5 event.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Empire08
http://i.imgur.com/XKvYb.gif

The radiation level at Fukushima is 400 millisieverts/ per hour, to put that into perspective..

"In most countries the current maximum permissible dose to radiation workers is 20 mSv per year averaged over five years, with a maximum of 50 mSv in any one year."

So any going near the plant will receive eight times the yearly limit in just one hour.

(250 - 1000 mSv): Some people feel nausea and loss of appetite; bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen damaged.

Also Japan has now upgraded the accident from a level 4 to a level 5 event.

And they told us there was nothing to worry about just 3 days ago!
Reply 11
Original post by mangoh
yep I'll be the first to say -rep. Who gives you the right to close threads? Are you a mod, no?

OP has a right to post his views like we all do on TSR. I'm glad u bought this up OP

Oh wow. What a retarded post. Where did I close the thread? You've managed to reply, haven't you?

Anyway, right back at ya then. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending