Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE READ THIS:

Maths

I have a choice of doing edexcel UNIT 3 modular maths in june or the Whole edexcel linear paper.

On both papers i need to achieve a C to get an overall C grade

So what is easier to get a overall C grade on, Edexcel Linear paper Or Unit 3 Modular paper?

ReputationRep:
    Linear, the grade boundaries are very lenient, especially if you do higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisjokes)
    Linear, the grade boundaries are very lenient, especially if you do higher.
    What do you mean by very lenient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ju1c)
    What do you mean by very lenient?
    I don't have any knowledge on Foundation, but on the Higher tier for the November exams, you only needed 68/200 for a grade C, and you could drop 64 marks, and still get an A grade.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20w...ification).pdf

Modular exams tend to have higher grade boundaries as less questions tend to be in the exam, this can make it harder to get the grade you want.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Maths

I have an exam in june and i have to decide if i want to do the linear paper or Unit 3 modular. I have already taken Unit 1 and 2 for modular exams.

On both papers I need to get a C grade to get an overall C

Should i do the linear paper this june or unit 3 modular this june, which will be easier to get an overall C on?

Note: Do not move my thread as I have spoken with a mod and It is allowed to stay here.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Higher Tier Linear = 35% to get a C. Easy peasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayred)
    Higher Tier Linear = 35% to get a C. Easy peasy.
    Wont i have to revise more topics though, seeing as Unit 3 Modular has way less topics?

I've already completed Unit 1 and Unit 2 in the modular btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ju1c)
    Edexcel Maths

I have an exam in june and i have to decide if i want to do the linear paper or Unit 3 modular. I have already taken Unit 1 and 2 for modular exams.

On both papers I need to get a C grade to get an overall C

Should i do the linear or unit 3 modular, which will be easier to get an overall C on?

Note: Do not move my thread as I have spoken with a mod and It is allowed to stay here.
    I thought you have to do Unit 3 modular then? It's called Linear/Modular for a reason o_o...? Depending on what mark you've got on Modular (you need 240/400 on modular...)...whilst in Linear you would've done some of those topics anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinate)
    I thought you have to do Unit 3 modular then? It's called Linear/Modular for a reason o_o...? Depending on what mark you've got on Modular (you need 240/400 on modular...)...whilst in Linear you would've done some of those topics anyway.
    Yes i know but if you read I have a choice of doing either the Linear paper or just staying with the modular.

The point is I need a C on both of these papers to get an overall C grade, so which one do you recommend, which one is easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ju1c)
    Yes i know but if you read I have a choice of doing either the Linear paper or just staying with the modular.

The point is I need a C on both of these papers to get an overall C grade, so which one do you recommend, which one is easier?
    I haven't done modular, but if you are having second thoughts about linear then just do modular.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.