Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do music snobs look down on Rap and Hip-Hop? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People always say how it's because they both just rap about violence,money and use derogatory terms for women, but a lot of death metal and rock is pretty violent and sexist. Also people say how the lyrics are shallow and materialistic compared to genres like Rock and Indie, but a lot of bands lyrics are actually just a load of nonsense if you actually look them up. For example compare Tupac's Brenda's Got a Baby to the Killers' Human

Brendas Got a Baby:I hear Brenda's got a baby
    But, Brenda's barely got a brain
    A damn shame
    The girl can hardly spell her name
    (That's not our problem, that's up to Brenda's family)
    Well let me show ya how it affects the whole community

A song addressing real problems in the Ghetto, whilst also being very catchy

The Killers' Human: I did my best to notice
    When the call came down the line
    Up to the platform of surrender
    I was brought but I was kind
    And sometimes I get nervous
    When I see an open door
    Close your eyes
    Clear your heart...
    Cut the cord

Are we human?
    Or are we dancer?

Now some people may say 'oh its about the symbology someone like you wouldn't understand. I do understand. Brandon Flowers has sold out and has just written lyrics to be catchy, rhyme and sell records. (I actually love this song)

But because Brandon Flowers wears a funky jacket people are like yeh he must be deep, and really imaginative, but because rappers wea hoodies and chain people just consider them dumb.

I'm not saying raps better I'm just saying, credit where credits due, Tupac and other rappers have written lyrics rivaling the likes of Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

ReputationRep:
    i just ignore fools who say all rap music is the same and **** :rolleyes:

and LOL! about brandon flowers part, i dont really like him anymore though i personally think he's gone **** :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Some people just can't accept people have different tastes in stuff such as music and clothes, and think their opinion on what is good or bad is wrong.

These people are people i happily avoid

ReputationRep:
    In before someone gives an example of a pseudo-intellectual rapper, i.e. Lowkey and/or Immortal Technique.

One of my favourite songs:

ReputationRep:
    Its a justified hatred. Mainstream hiphop/rap is aweful. Old school hiphop should be appreciated though.

ReputationRep:
    Wu Tang <3

ReputationRep:
    **** that **** everyone likes decent hip hop and R and B. What I don't get is why I get all this hate when my ipods on shuffle and country music comes on :'(.

ReputationRep:
    R'n'B is the devils music.

It was mildly acceptable when usher was at his best (burn etc) but now as far as i'm concerned its the devils music.

ReputationRep:
    Like all genres of music, it's the mainstream stuff that brings you into it, and the more you search, the more you grow to love the genre, and sometimes eventually reject the mainstream songs that got you into it.

Even hip-hop and rap fans can agree, mainstream rap is awful. I mean really bad. I feel my brain cells numbing whenever I listen to it. Because of this I have (wrongly, I suppose) just avoided it as a genre as a whole. I'm perfectly happy with my music taste as it stands.

ReputationRep:
    i listen to rap but what is being passed as rap on tv and radio really makes me sick its not music at all infact i dont listen to top40. its understandable for them to look down on rap music as its only gabbage that get promoted and air play. but if you expose them to a bit of a tribe called quest, lupe, andre 3000 am sure they can change their attitude

ReputationRep:
    These are the people who think they know about music, but in fact don't know ****. Theyre probably the same people who spam "u say justin beiber, i say blink 182, u say jonas brothers i say led zeppelin" **** all over youtube.

How can someone not like classics like Changes by 2pac and Human Beatbox by Fat Boys

ReputationRep:
    Why would a music snob look down on any genre of music, surely if they wanted to be some sort of musical oracle they would be talking about indie hip hop labels/underground artists you have never heard of, be calling everything on youtube wack....

ReputationRep:
    I thought a music snob would regard hip hop and rap to be absolutely amazing. The whole thing about featuring naked girls doesn't really exist anymore, they just like listening to the old skool hip hop beats and sounds

ReputationRep:
    Don't expect a whole lot of originality and open-mindedness from the people who put S&M by Rihanna and Nicole Scherzinger's latest pile of crap into the top ten.

Although them disliking it is actually preferable to the idiots who listen to Love the Way You Lie and Tinie Tempah and go "ZOMG I LUV RAP."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammynorton90)
    People always say how it's because they both just rap about violence,money and use derogatory terms for women, but a lot of death metal and rock is pretty violent and sexist. Also people say how the lyrics are shallow and materialistic compared to genres like Rock and Indie, but a lot of bands lyrics are actually just a load of nonsense if you actually look them up. For example compare Tupac's Brenda's Got a Baby to the Killers' Human

A damn shame

When I see an open door
    Close your eyes
    Clear your heart...
    Cut the cord

Are we human?
    Or are we dancer?

Now some people may say 'oh its about the symbology someone like you wouldn't understand. I do understand. Brandon Flowers has sold out and has just written lyrics to be catchy, rhyme and sell records. (I actually love this song)

But because Brandon Flowers wears a funky jacket people are like yeh he must be deep, and really imaginative, but because rappers wea hoodies and chain people just consider them dumb.

I'm not saying raps better I'm just saying, credit where credits due, Tupac and other rappers have written lyrics rivaling the likes of Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.
    some people are just stupid and closed-minded (Y) thats what it comes down to at the end of the day - i personally don't listen to much rap but i think it's pretty unfair to just generalise the whole genre as being 'sexist and violent'. songs like 'not afraid' by eminem are neither of those things. it's the same with metal too; most people think it's 'barbaric' but chances are if anyone actually listened to it they'd see that the majority of the music isn't like that. people who judge like that don't appreciate that music is more than just genres and stereotypes - every song is different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammynorton90)

A damn shame

When I see an open door
    Close your eyes
    Clear your heart...
    Cut the cord

Are we human?
    Or are we dancer?

Bloody hell, leave Brandon alone! I'd never say rap was shallow- only the likes of Neyo, you know R&B chart music. Some indie bands are also shallow and pretentious, actually a lot of indie pop music that the NME parades today is awful. Brandon hasn't sold out, The Killers have always been massive. Everyone knows Mr Brightside, When You Were Young etc. Just because a band is talented enough to break it through to the mainstream, that in no way means they've sold out. Tupac is well respected, everyone knows rap music addresses real life problems. Human also has a bloody good sentiment to it.

ReputationRep:
    why do people look down on other types of music? i think its because it makes them feel they are intelligent and somewhat cultured if they can make up reasons why another genre/artist is rubbish.

edit: and as for the concept of 'selling out'...

http://stereogum.com/7208/of_montrea...ercial-appeal/

ReputationRep:

Legend

ReputationRep:
    First off, I am a fan of rock etc, though my taste is fairly ecclectic, I've been in a band 'n' all that jazz and am aware of the temptation to become elitist/poo poo other people/jenres etc. Personally I am not a fan of the culture that lies behind a lot of post-Wu Tang era hip hop/rap, it patently glamourises violence and treats (black) women as little more than pieces of meat that are there to wibble wobble about for the enjoyment of gold teethed "puffoons". However, I do like some rap/hip hop, find MOBO gives a better vibe in clubs etc and respect the talent of (decent) MC's..

It just so happens that a lot of people who like rock 'n' roll, rock and more alternative forms of music (like to think they) buy into a more 'individualistic', less mainstream, personal philosophy and associated lifestyle/tastes and tend to happen to dislike/want to distance themselves from more mainstream/contrary forms of music.. it also just so happens that a (relatively) significant proportion of these people are dweebs, often either imbittered or superior, hence the snobbery

For me, most music is a matter of interpretation/personal taste, and having an argument about what constitutes 'good' music is therefore a little foolhardy (unless said music's being rammed down ye throat). There are some pieces that are undeniably 'works of art' however, and I don't think many hip hop/rap fans would argue that many such pieces emanate from their preferred genre(?)

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.