Turn on thread page Beta

Why do music snobs look down on Rap and Hip-Hop? watch

ReputationRep:
    Because hip hop is primarily the music of the black working class and that makes a lot of *******s uncomfortable, which is why you will hear people say **** like 'I don't like hip hop but Eminem is okay'. On the last page someone said something about waiting for hip hop to become white music for white people and I think that's true, greater white participation in hip hop and more hip hop targeted at the white community will unfortunately probably be what leads to greater acceptance, that's clear already from the influence Eminem had in bringing hip hop to the mainstream.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a snob and nor do I look down on it, but I prefer music where the melodies, harmonies and instrumentation are the main attractions. Rap and hip-hop generally put far more emphasis on rhythm and lyrics than on anything else, which I'm not so attracted to. I have to admit the stereotypes that spring to mind don't help, either.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's ****?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, Pitchfork gave My Beautiful Dark Twisted fantasy a 'perfect ten' rating!

Not even Animal Collective got that!

ReputationRep:
    Purists may hate, but this song made me start liking rapping:

ReputationRep:
    Decent lyrics confuse people, thats why Mos Def, Biggie Smalls, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill and so on haven't got the true credit they should have. I mean look at 'Mosh' by Eminem, lyrics based on Politics and it wasn't that popular compared to 'Not Afraid' with lyrics based on... nothing?

So you get these idiots who's lyrics consist of 'Baby i'll buy you a car' or 'I've got some many clothes i leave some at my aunts house' and so on. So i can't blame people for hating that music and looking down on it, I DO!

But i love proper rap and proper hip hop. No chart styled rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    The MC on 'Clint Eastwood' is Del tha Funkee Homosapien, any purists dissing Del need a slap up the chops.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who gives the standard 'I hate that awful rap rubbish' answer, is probably under 16, into greenday, and has never heard real, 80s/90s hip hop. They are partly justified though, because the stuff in the last 10 years is... not really music. The last real artist IMO, was eminem, but even he's gone into pop-dance songs with a chorus inevitably featuring rhianna

ReputationRep:
    There's only one reason tbh. Because loads of chavs keep blaring really **** rap and R'n'B music out of their phones on buses. It's seen as the cool, mainstream thing for all kids in inner city schools to listen to. Not because they like it, or because they understand anything about the music or the lyrics. It's because they're sheep who follow the crowd and do it to be accepted socially. That's why snobs dislke it. They associate it with violent, incredibly stupid kids who also themselves dismiss every other genre of music.

I had the same dislike of hip hop and rap because of the mainstream, misogynistic, violent garbage that's being put out there. I was pretty much surrounded by it throughout secondary school and it was really annoying. But I saw the likes of Lupe Fiasco, Outkast and Mos Def and realised they weren't all like that and some actually had something to say that wasn't calling someone a ***** or talking about how they shot some guy the other day. So yeah it annoys me when somebody dismisses rap so readily. But when you have something like N-Dubz I can see why there is this negative perception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Without the lyrics and rapping (which to me sounds rubbish most of the time, like someone talking over a beat) what are you left with? A one dimensional beat that has no instrumental skill whatsoever, mostly not done on instruments, but on a computer, or another person beatboxing. I am aware that

I recognize the appeal of rap music is the lyrics and the vocals, and not the music behind it, and that is fine, but I know that I get a kick out of the musical side of things, rather than the lyrical side of things when it comes to music. If you were to listen to a rap song, and then to a (good) rock song, and completely ignore the lyrics and vocals then it is obvious that rock is superior in that department. I know people have different tastes and they can enjoy whatever the hell they like but I am not sure how someone could ever fully justify the music in a rap song is on the same level of quality as the music in a Pink Floyd song. Perhaps more enjoyable to certain people, and that is completely fine, but on a purely musical, instrumental level there IS a musicianship void.

lmao, so hilariously out of context and vague

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I'm not moaning about owt luv, just explaining my take on it. I don't let snobs, or their snobbery, bother me in the slightest

That's not being a snob, that's being a fan yo, there's nowt wrong with bumming groups per se. Just another unfortunate coincidence that of those who do bum your 'more established' bands, a higher proportion (than that of other groups) tend to look down their noses at the rest of us! Possibly reactionary - e.g. they get stick for being 'stuck in the 60's' or w/e, I dunno..
    What's with 'owt/nowt' and 'luv'?

ReputationRep:
    I am a 'music snob'.

I like hip hop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    lmao, so hilariously out of context and vague
    I am showing why music snobs look down on it, because no matter how good the lyrics are the instrumentation is rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    What's with 'owt/nowt' and 'luv'?
    I like to mix my lingo, I'm a mongrel with identity issues see

ReputationRep:
    Can it be all so simple....

ReputationRep:
    I am probably what you'd call a musical snob, and I really enjoy hip-hop. But like any genre, it has its good and its bad, and the bad is REALLY bad (I'm looking at you, Lil' Wayne). And the problem is that this is the stuff that seems to sell, where good hip-hop like Mos Def and the like doesn't get as much success, so people start hating hip-hop before they hear the good stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A true music snob would appreciate underground rap/rnb in very much the same way that they would appreciate underground metal subgenres.

They both appeal to an exclusive club of people who are connected by their passion for that particular style of music, and generally both have a dislike for their mainstream counter parts, yet it isn't necessarily 'bad' music.

I don't like rap/rnb, but I can accept that there will be some underground material which a "music snob" should appreciate. I can't say I would like it, but I can accept it is there and I will appreciate the thought and effort put into it, even if I personally cannot stand it!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.