Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your definition of a slut? watch

ReputationRep:
    For me to call some1 a slut is all about her attitude. I knoe women that slept with no more than 5 men and they are 100% sluts. I know women that slept with over 25 men and they are perfectly fine and good girls.
    The amount of partners you have doesn't make you slut.

ReputationRep:
    someone who gives it to everyone but me. Jokes. Lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised so many people have the same definition of a slut as I do, namely someone who sleep around and brags about it. I pretty much had a word with my 18 year old sister about this the other month because she was starting to be a bit stupid when it came to telling folk how many ONS's she'd had, and appearing proud of herself. I lost my virginity at 20 and slept with 5 people within a year, but never really said a word to anyone, whereas her flatmates appear to know about all her conquests...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I'll explain further.

I appreciate that not everyone will be able to take home the same sort of girl or guy. But everyone has their own varying perception of beauty anyway and have different standards of beauty they find attractive.

What I meant was that the guy/woman should be finding the person they take home attractive and sexy, regardless of how other people rate their ONS.

If you prefer fat girls, then thats your standard. Doesnt make it wrong, but the point is you arent taking someone home just for the sake of it; you are taking them home because you actually fancy them.

People don't do that on ONSs though - they take people home to have sex, doesn't matter so much how sexy she is because it's just one night. The phrase 'don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire' is there for a reason - who cares what she looks like as long as you're getting your end away for the night?

I know some blokes genuinely think like this, because my boyfriend used to be exactly the same. He's slept with some hideous girls, but it was just sex, even if he saw them a few times it didn't change that fact, hence me being his first proper girlfriend as he actually likes and fancies me as opposed to just wanting to penetrate me at the weekend.

Not very nice perhaps, but true.

ReputationRep:
    I think people can only quote from their own personal experience, there's not really a definition for one..

..is there? O.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    I'm surprised so many people have the same definition of a slut as I do, namely someone who sleep around and brags about it. I pretty much had a word with my 18 year old sister about this the other month because she was starting to be a bit stupid when it came to telling folk how many ONS's she'd had, and appearing proud of herself. I lost my virginity at 20 and slept with 5 people within a year, but never really said a word to anyone, whereas her flatmates appear to know about all her conquests...
    I think this as well. Also I think the way you act and mindset is important- like there are girls who set out on nights specifically to have sex, which is more slutty than finding someone attractive and going home with them, at least to my mind. Also, sleeping with people is one thing, sleeping with lots of people at the same time without them knowing is slutty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I think this as well. Also I think the way you act and mindset is important- like there are girls who set out on nights specifically to have sex, which is more slutty than finding someone attractive and going home with them, at least to my mind. Also, sleeping with people is one thing, sleeping with lots of people at the same time without them knowing is slutty.
    Yeah... this was another thing that bothered me. From September onwards my sister was with a guy from the freshers team, very casually, but slept with at least 2 other people in that time. Then got upset when she found out he was doing the same...

Also we were out together one night and speaking to a group of guys from very early in the night. I'm in a relationship and made that clear from early on. They were all around 24/25. My sister ended up taking one of them home, and actually said to me the next day "I'm glad I didn't *just* take him home, but was speaking to him all night"..... I was kinda like, "well you still had a ONS..." She then looked down about the fact that he didn't seem very chatty by texts the next day.

If you're going to have ONS's you need to be smart about it.

ReputationRep:
    Carla Bruni. But like, in a sophisticated kind of way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Men in general don't tend to care who they sleep with tbh. As long as they're getting their dicks wet, they're happy.
    A nausea inducing way of putting it, but this is true. Most men are desperadoes of the worst kind

ReputationRep:
    I define anyone who has 3+ one night stands and makes no effort to have some sort a relationship after that. I dont mind one night stands but if your mentality is one shag finish I think thats a bit lame if its one night text him/her after and see whats going on thats cool.

This is irrespective of gendar though I prefer manwhore to the term slut for a man :P Oh cheating gets you an insta slut label too
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    a slut IMO is someone who regularly 'bares all', doesn't care who she gets with... and brags about it.

ReputationRep:
    a person who sleeps with whatevers on offer.

ReputationRep:
    Slut is an insult used by a person who see someone who has sex with a lot of people, but probably wouldn't have it with them.

It characterises the enjoyment of sex as something that should be looked down on because it is the enjoyment of sex.

ReputationRep:
    anyone promiscuous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The idea of having slept with many different people by the time I'm 21 doesn't really appeal
    Then keep yo legs crossed?

Anyway girls and guys at uni, do you find yourself having greater numbers of sexual partners away from home
    Nope, there's potential for ONS wherever you are, though there's more potential for casual relationships at uni

How would you define a slut?
    As long as you can keep things on the down-lo, that's really a matter for you to decide for yourself. What you do, within sensible limits, is your business

If you're really concerned with what others think.. if we're talking a girl of uni age:

One who has a different partner every week or so and isn't very discerning in her choice of partner, or a girl who has a lot of unprotected sex, or a girl who has a really free attitude to promiscuity and never shuts up about such things.. is what most people I know would consider a 'slut'

ReputationRep:
    This may sound like a weird question but...

It seems like a lot of uni students sleep around all the time, I've kind of been brought up to think this is probably a bad thing (especially being a girl- risk of pregnancy, STDs...) but I can see myself having quite low self discipline when it comes to sex at university.

However the idea of having slept with many different people by the time I'm 21 doesn't really appeal... I can imagine feeling like I'd gone beneath my so called morals though I guess I don't believe in morals, just a sense of who I am (?)

I tend to pull a guy every time I go to a club, is this the same for other girls? Maybe I was unashamedly checking them out or something but I never go home with them.
    However my clubbing experience is quite limited as I'm just 18. Also I've never actually been violently drunk, though I do have quite a few drinks when I'm out...
    I don't like the taste of vodka or tequila though I do tend to succumb to peer pressure

Anyway girls and guys at uni, do you find yourself having greater numbers of sexual partners away from home...? And mainly one night stands or potential relationships?
    How would you define a slut?
    First of all: ARRRRRRRRGH.
    'Slut' is a word that was made up to demonise women who enjoy sex and to make it seem like what they're doing is disgusting, unnatural and wrong (even though men having lots of sex and bragging about it is apparently absolutely fine). The word is commonly used to mean any of the following things:
    - a girl who talks a lot about sex in an open, relaxed way
    - a girl who's had a lot of sexual partners (either in or out of relationship)
    - a girl who's had a one-night-stand at any point
    - a girl who enjoys sex a lot - even if this is just within the context of relationships
    - a girl who's flirty and gets with people (even if she doesn't take them home)
    - a girl who dresses sexily and turns men down (if you reject a guy, he might well call you a 'slut' because he's accusing you of leading him on by the way you dress etc)

None of these definitions are meaningful because there is nothing wrong with any of the above behaviour. All of these things involve personal choice. None of them are hurtful except through unintended consequences, and as long as the guys you sleep with haven't been lied to or treated manipulatively. any offence that they might take from your behaviour is their problem, not yours.

If the word 'slut' should still have meaning, I reckon it's just reserved for girls who cheat on their partners, who deliberately have sex with men who they know are in relationships, or who lead men on deliberately as a way of showing off / being cruel (and no, being a little flirty here and there is not the same as doing this). Even then, though, the man is as much at fault as the woman in the cheating situations.

There's nothing wrong with casual sex if that's what you want. Just treat people decently. Personally I would never sleep casually with anyone unless I liked them a heck of a lot, because I would rather keep up pretty high standards and have less sex. But that's a personal choice, not a moral judgement, and it really is up to you.

Enjoy. Sex isn't there to make you feel guilty.

ReputationRep:
    To me a slut is someone who goes out looking for sex regardless of whether or not they are attracted to the person they end up doing it with. If a man has slept with 20 girls, but he was genuinely into all of them, its different to a guy whos slept with 20 girls he sunk below his standard to be with.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has a different definition (clear from what's been said so far) just do what makes you happy, be safe, don't cheat and if someone wants to call you a slut, it doesn't really matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by countryfile)
    People don't do that on ONSs though - they take people home to have sex, doesn't matter so much how sexy she is because it's just one night. The phrase 'don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire' is there for a reason - who cares what she looks like as long as you're getting your end away for the night?

I know some blokes genuinely think like this, because my boyfriend used to be exactly the same. He's slept with some hideous girls, but it was just sex, even if he saw them a few times it didn't change that fact, hence me being his first proper girlfriend as he actually likes and fancies me as opposed to just wanting to penetrate me at the weekend.

Not very nice perhaps, but true.
    I realise some people do it. I didn't realise the extent to how much people did it.
    Hell I've had one night stands before, but only with people I really really fancied. I'd have never just taken home someone who I thought was a bit grim or even just 'alright' for the sake of it.

I think women who have one night stands have a completely different mentality to men who do one night stands. I think we only bother with the ones we actually fancy as a rule. No wonder men think badly of women who have one night stands if they think we are as indiscriminate as those who will just 'do' anything.

Bluergh! Gross.

ReputationRep:
    someone who would shag pretty much anyone.

the opposite of a slut is someone with very high standards.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.