Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Level English Language Representation Production watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just finished the investigation part of AS Level Representation coursework, and now I'm a bit stumped as to what to do for the production piece.

For my investigation, I analysed texts on alien abductions and looked at how the aliens were represented.

I'd like to stick to the theme of aliens and abductions, but I'm not sure what to write!

I had the idea of maybe doing a monologue, something like a recording for a UFO enthusiast blog of someone finding a UFO... but I'm not sure. I think I want to do something literary though.

Any suggestions? What sort of things usually get top marks?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the thing with this bit of work (this is ENGA2 isn't it?) is that your production piece has to offer some sort of representation, or challenge an existing one, so a monologue could be a really good way of doing this.

You might have looked at Alan Bennett's Talking Heads already (he is the daddy of monologue writers after all) but if not have a look at A Lady of Letters or one of the others and you'll get a sense of how the representation the narrator thinks she's presenting is quite different from the representation that is actually created by the writer of the whole text. The narrator of Poe's Tell-Tale Heart is the same - the more he claims not to be mad, the more we know he is a deranged mentalist.

If you can create a monologue where your narrator is trying to present the image of a sane person who has been abducted by aliens, but the true representation to the audience is of a lonely, delusional crackpot, that might work, or you could be more challenging and do it the other way round where he's gradually revealed to be sane and telling the truth.

I think that whatever you do, the key thing has to be having some sort of representation at the core of the piece. Hope that helps anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this has definitely helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.