Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My lecturer was talking about this today, and how it is recommended that we delete our accounts from Facebook, Twitter etc., saying that it wasn't professional.

However, when I was on work experience I asked a SLT about this and she said that she's still on Facebook but has really strict privacy settings, and makes sure she never add patients to her friends list.

So what do you lot think?

ReputationRep:
    Same sort of thing - Im a teacher - Im still on FB but have really high settings so I cant be found! You are entitled to a life etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliejl1982)
    Same sort of thing - Im a teacher - Im still on FB but have really high settings so I cant be found! You are entitled to a life etc
    Am still on facebook too - I have high privacy settings so can only be seen by friends.......and I never post anything about work

I have my privacy settings set to strict, and will continue to when I qualify. I have a fair number of radiographers that I work with on my friends list and that's what they do too.

On Twitter, I used to only have my first name, but I've since added my surname and haven't set my tweets to private. I'm just being careful about what I talk about.

I can understand that it's a public perception thing, so if you were seen to have a load of drunk photos on Facebook it would look bad for the hospital/profession. However on Twitter I still have a right to an opinion on things, so I see that as less of an issue. As long as you aren't talking about patients it should be okay, right? If it ever seems like it'll be an issue I'll just remove my surname again. My display pic isn't a picture of me and I don't have anything in my bio so I should be unidentifiable on there.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't bother me to not have facebook, it's handy to have at uni but it drives me crazy as it is! I can see how it can be seen as unprofessional since it seems to revolve around showing photos of how drunk you are! A few of the SLTs I worked with were on facebook but with strict privacy settings, it's not good for patients to be able to read you wall/facebook updates and see your photos, for a number of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    A few lads in my year at medical school have 2 facebook accounts - 1 with their real name that just has some nice photos of them with their family, in a suit, etc, and 1 account with a slightly different name that has their normal photos and drunken statuses, etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I will keep my facebook however my setting are already strict. If you aren't my friend all you get is my picture and name.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2011

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.