Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    I've got a spreadsheet of the SWs available, the deadlines, the application type (cover letter+CV or application form etc), and a link to the main info page+any useful info on interviews/ACs. Didn't take long, maybe 3 hours, but I just wanted to make the task more organised and manageable for when I did get to doing the serious work.

Leaving competency and 'why us' questions until application time when I do real firm specific research, though I did have a go at the 'Why IB' question.
    Always had the illusion that PPEists were politically driven or in pursuit of academia. Nice to see someone break the stereotype!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a spreadsheet of the SWs available, the deadlines, the application type (cover letter+CV or application form etc), and a link to the main info page+any useful info on interviews/ACs. Didn't take long, maybe 3 hours, but I just wanted to make the task more organised and manageable for when I did get to doing the serious work.

Leaving competency and 'why us' questions until application time when I do real firm specific research, though I did have a go at the 'Why IB' question.
    Haha, wow. Are you applying anywhere else than IBs? Like ICAP, Big4 etc?

By the way, maybe by any slim chance can you send over the spreadsheet, haha?

ReputationRep:

Fair play! You sound like me (very organised, like to plan things in advance) but on some sort of next level hype lol.

(Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Always had the illusion that PPEists were politically driven or in pursuit of academia. Nice to see someone break the stereotype!
    As opposed to E&M'ers who are just straight up future corporate-whores
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Cabine Sono Qui)
    Fair play! You sound like me (very organised, like to plan things in advance) but on some sort of next level hype lol.

As opposed to E&M'ers who are just straight up future corporate-whores
    Undoubtedly Haha in all seriousness, I applied purely because of the economics not the management. Cambridge's got a compulsory component of British economic history (:boring:)

Out of curiosity are you guys only applying to investment banks or fancy some consultancy firms/actuaries too? I feel like it's too early for me to commit to a certain section of the finance industry.

ReputationRep:
    Undoubtedly Haha in all seriousness, I applied purely because of the economics not the management. Cambridge's got a compulsory component of British economic history (:boring:)

Out of curiosity are you guys only applying to investment banks or fancy some consultancy firms/actuaries too? I feel like it's too early for me to commit to a certain section of the finance industry.
    But you have to take compulsory Management modules. I'm pretty sure the only compulsory politics/economic history modules at Cambridge are in the 1st year, so it's all gravy from then on in.

I'll be applying for work experience opportunities at the big 4, consultancies and IB's for the reason you just gave - it's too early to focus on one thing and it'd be good to get a broad picture of things before committing. Also it'll increase my chances of actually getting onto a programme For actuarial stuff don't you have to be studying maths/physics i.e. something really mathsy?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    But you have to take compulsory Management modules. I'm pretty sure the only compulsory politics/economic history modules at Cambridge are in the 1st year, so it's all gravy from then on in.

I'll be applying for work experience opportunities at the big 4, consultancies and IB's for the reason you just gave - it's too early to focus on one thing and it'd be good to get a broad picture of things before committing. Also it'll increase my chances of actually getting onto a programme For actuarial stuff don't you have to be studying maths/physics i.e. something really mathsy?
    Yea I do look forward to the management modules (I did take quite a few Management classes in the IB) plus most management consultancies still use basic management theories/frameworks (for example the BCG Matrix) which I would cover in lectures.

Ahh apologies I was talking about the big 4 (PwC, E&Y, Deloitte, KPMG) when I meant actuaries. Wikipedia tells me "professional services" is a more appropriate term to describe them, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    the barcap numerical was so piss lol, anyone taken the verbal reasoning - ive heard this is hard??

ReputationRep:
    Yea I do look forward to the management modules (I did take quite a few Management classes in the IB) plus most management consultancies still use basic management theories/frameworks (for example the BCG Matrix) which I would cover in lectures.

Ahh apologies I was talking about the big 4 (PwC, E&Y, Deloitte, KPMG) when I meant actuaries. Wikipedia tells me "professional services" is a more appropriate term to describe them, my bad.
    Lol at calling big four actuaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rtzj00)
    the barcap numerical was so piss lol, anyone taken the verbal reasoning - ive heard this is hard??
    You're already applying for spring weeks? Bit eager lol

ReputationRep:
    You're already applying for spring weeks? Bit eager lol
    ye because im about to start a law degree lol - i wont have any time during term!!

+ it says on their website its done on a rolling basis now http://graduate.barclayscapital.com/...cation-process

ReputationRep:
    Politics may still be on the cards someday but I'd like to make some money and get some real-world experience first. Anything high-powered which requires some brains and ambition is attractive to me tbh.

I'm guessing there'll be a fair bit of application advice available at OIFS, so I'm holding up on sending off any apps until after that.

ReputationRep:
    are there any programmes that do not require an online test or interview? - where it is based solely on paper applications...

Also i dont have maths a leve - is this a problem... i know bankers who also havent done maths either...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Politics may still be on the cards someday but I'd like to make some money and get some real-world experience first. Anything high-powered which requires some brains and ambition is attractive to me tbh.

I'm guessing there'll be a fair bit of application advice available at OIFS, so I'm holding up on sending off any apps until after that.
    Yea ditto on that. The Careers Service has a program called CVs for Investment Banking sometime in 2nd or 3rd week which should also be worthwhile checking. Oxford seems to have many Investment clubs - OIFS, OIS, ManSoc, CapitOx....are you just going to sign up for every one of them? I don't quite know if one is superior to another.

ReputationRep:
    ye because im about to start a law degree lol - i wont have any time during term!!

+ it says on their website its done on a rolling basis now http://graduate.barclayscapital.com/...cation-process
    You dont need to to start applying till like December. None of the banks will bother to look at spring week apps till they've made some progress on summer apps.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether goldman sachs interview for their spring programme?? - I heard its just based on paper application

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether goldman sachs interview for their spring programme?? - I heard its just based on paper application
    It was for the 2010 IBD intake, but now they interview for all divisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    It was for the 2010 IBD intake, but now they interview for all divisions.
    hey,

how do u know?

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    what are the best books to read before SW applications?
    In interviews will they ask techinical questions, or just expect an interest and explanation of the basics and current affairs etc.
    I already know the basics, so want books that go more into M&A processes , IPOs etc. Basically just wondering from those who have been to interviews what to expect a bit more.
    Will obviously be keeping up current affairs, reading bloomberg news, and working on some E&CS.

also how competitive is the deutsche bank scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eco1234)
    hey,
    what are the best books to read before SW applications?
    In interviews will they ask techinical questions, or just expect an interest and explanation of the basics and current affairs etc.
    I already know the basics, so want books that go more into M&A processes , IPOs etc. Basically just wondering from those who have been to interviews what to expect a bit more.
    Will obviously be keeping up current affairs, reading bloomberg news, and working on some E&CS.

also how competitive is the deutsche bank scholarship?
    I'm sure you will be fine with the basics but no harm in reading more. There'll be more emphasis on competency based questions though.

have a read into last years Spring week thread

The competition of DB Scholarship will depend on the Uni you go to i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    I'm sure you will be fine with the basics but no harm in reading more. There'll be more emphasis on competency based questions though.

have a read into last years Spring week thread

The competition of DB Scholarship will depend on the Uni you go to i think
    Is there an interview for the scholarship? + can u apply to spring week +scholarship or just scholarship??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.