Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    phone interview or face to face?
    Phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    Phone.
    did they just phone u straight or was it re-arranged before hand?

ReputationRep:
    Really?? I had a phone interview and the woman told me that I would hear within 5 days, but that the next stage would be an assessment day...
    (Original post by icancount23)
    Pwc final stage is a telephone interview, no AC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    did they just phone u straight or was it re-arranged before hand?
    I was expecting the interview if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    8 balls, one is heavier/lighter. How do you find it in 2 weighings.
    How was your answer to this? Had you also to say whether the different one is heavier OR lighter or did they say you that one is heavier/lighter (and not just: one is "different")?

ReputationRep:
    Had Barcap phone interview on Monday. Assesment centre on Thursday for Technology division.

Anyone know what to expect except that assesment is 1.5 hours and will include an interview?

I'm thinking Interview -30 min, numerical - 30min, group exercises -30min?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    Barclays AC email just came. It's 1 hour "Group Exercise" then "Interviews onwards".
    Sorry for the double post, but where did you get this? The standard email didn't detail assesment activities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashabedford)
    Yeah. These things seem to be random :mad:
    Good luck in your interview today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jevira)
    How was your answer to this? Had you also to say whether the different one is heavier OR lighter or did they say you that one is heavier/lighter (and not just: one is "different")?
    split the 8 balls into 3 piles so there are 3 v 3 v 2

If the 3 v 3 weigh the same then measure the balls in the 2 pile.

If one of the 3 v3 is heavier than the other - then weigh 2 balls from a 3 pile - if they weigh the same - the heavier ball is the one left out - or if one is heavier then this is the heavier ball!

ReputationRep:
    anyone get a DB email this morning saying they are currently processing apps....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ98)
    Sorry for the double post, but where did you get this? The standard email didn't detail assesment activities?
    I got sent an email from HR or something stating that.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC randomly just rejected my application. buggers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    split the 8 balls into 3 piles so there are 3 v 3 v 2

If the 3 v 3 weigh the same then measure the balls in the 2 pile.

If one of the 3 v3 is heavier than the other - then weigh 2 balls from a 3 pile - if they weigh the same - the heavier ball is the one left out - or if one is heavier then this is the heavier ball!
    That seems not correct.
    All my solutions I would need 3 weighings, crap. After 2 weighings there is a 50/50 chance that you detect the different one.

ReputationRep:
    That seems not correct.
    All my solutions I would need 3 weighings, crap. After 2 weighings there is a 50/50 chance that you detect the different one.
    He is correct as long as we know if the different ball is lighter or heavier.

ReputationRep:
    That seems not correct.
    no my solution gives 2 weighings - read it properly

ReputationRep:
    That seems not correct.
    Sorry I think the way I wrote the question was ambiguous. We know one ball is heavier (I wrote heavier/lighter as the method is the same either way, but we have to know which one).

From that same solution (and I think it might be the only solution) as LawQC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    no my solution gives 2 weighings - read it properly
    Yes, I said my solution (if you just know that one is either heavier or lighter) gives 3 weighings.

Your solution is correct as you assume that one is heavier. Would also work if you know that one is lighter. But if you dont know, 2 weighings dont suffice.

Ah, thx miml.

ReputationRep:
    One more example with 12 balls, you know that one is heavier than the other 11. 3 weighings allowed to find the heavier one.
    I always read other solutions, but I think this should also work (please feedback):

First, weigh 6 against 6. (1st use of scale) Then take the heavier group of balls.

Weigh 2 against 2 first, 2 leaving out. (2nd use of scale). If the scale is balanced, weigh the 2 remaining balls, one of them is the heavier. (3rd use of scale).
    If our second use of scale isn't balanced, take the heavier group and weigh the 2 balls against each other. One of them is the heavier (3rd).

This is correct too, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    One more example with 12 balls, you know that one is heavier than the other 11. 3 weighings allowed to find the heavier one.
    I always read other solutions, but I think this should also work (please feedback):

First, weigh 6 against 6. (1st use of scale) Then take the heavier group of balls.

Weigh 2 against 2 first, 2 leaving out. (2nd use of scale). If the scale is balanced, weigh the 2 remaining balls, one of them is the heavier. (3rd use of scale).
    If our second use of scale isn't balanced, take the heavier group and weigh the 2 balls against each other. One of them is the heavier (3rd).

This is correct too, isn't it?
    Yes looks fine to me

Harder: 12 balls, 1 is different. Find the different one and whether it is heavier or lighter - in 3 weighings

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from JP Morgan (markets)? - all the interviews are now over so should be fairly soon

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.