The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3320
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I know for a fact that GS and BC pay their spring week interns.

Yeah, exception rather than the norm though.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I mean, a lot of things in life are luck anyway but looking at CVs. Take a bunch of people all from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc. All equally good, maybe have an internship or two done already. How do you pick between them? It's just random. "Oh, she has a nice name, let's get her".

I have two interviews so far and I will gladly accept it's all luck - aside from grades and university and work experience but I imagine so many of these are near identical. Even at the interview - your interviewer had a bad day and he won't like you. Another day, another question and you were in.

Yeh, I agree. Even just in my college in Cambridge, all the Economists/people applying for SWs have near identical credentials. I honestly have no idea how grad recruiters choose between people.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Yeh, I agree. Even just in my college in Cambridge, all the Economists/people applying for SWs have near identical credentials. I honestly have no idea how grad recruiters choose between people.

This is probably why you have no offers or interview invitations - take this as friendly advice.
I do and I have no idea. :wink:
I do and I have no idea. :wink:

Cool, which IBs?
Reply 3325
Original post by miml
Starting to agree with this tbh. I mean they aren't paying us and we wouldn't be doing any work - a large number of the applicants are probably have all the necessary qualifications/experiences anyway so it makes sense to pick at random. I also think there's a better chance of getting an internship than a SW.

Gonna hope that I don't get any emails from ML over the next 2 hours. 5 pm and I will be safe lol

EDIT: 3 minutes after this post, ML rejection.

Haha, same. Thought to myself, damn, I'm still to be rejected from BOAML, I think I have a decent shot at getting an offer. Boom, rejection 5 minutes after.
Reply 3326
Cool, which IBs?

Oh man, I would really like to know how you look like and who you are in real life. I don't know whether I would laugh or laugh. Maybe I'd laugh anyway.
Reply 3327
I'm sure that banks really just take ppl from LSE/Warwick/.. and just from target unis in the UK. There's just no incentive for them to invite people from abroad. They'd cost too much. It is a pitty.
Original post by milanftw
BC=Barclays Capital?

they pay sw interns? öÖ

Yeah.
I have spring week offers and I'd just like to add that I too agree that most of getting an offer is absolutely down to luck. I don't even think it is too much down to the quality of the application, just how someone feels when they look at your CV. Let's be honest, we've are all pretty much equal candidates. No one has any work experience or really know anything about IB. So how about we all stop acting like we are top successful bankers and realise that sometimes you get lucky in life. And to those who haven't been lucky, you are going to be well placed to get a summer internship next year. You'll have gone through the application process already so you're be ahead of everyone else.
Yeah because IB recruitment is known for being really laid back.
Yeah because IB recruitment is known for being really laid back.

Actually I have to agree with i_hate_teeth on this one. For similar applicants, you're right that perhaps there will be some luck involved, but the overall recruiting process is definitely not luck. The entire point of rounds of interviews is to prevent it from being luck.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Spelling mistakes, grammatical mistakes, poorly formatted or multiple pages CVs, for example
Original post by jevira
I'm sure that banks really just take ppl from LSE/Warwick/.. and just from target unis in the UK. There's just no incentive for them to invite people from abroad. They'd cost too much. It is a pitty.

False. At my AC 70-90% of the interviewees were studying in Europe.
Reply 3334
Original post by milanftw
what you say
1 page max
or is 2 pages allowed too?

1 page max.
Original post by applications
Actually I have to agree with i_hate_teeth on this one. For similar applicants, you're right that perhaps there will be some luck involved, but the overall recruiting process is definitely not luck. The entire point of rounds of interviews is to prevent it from being luck.

Yes, it's not ALL luck, but a huge aspect of it is.

Taking BoAML - how do they pick between 10 Oxford/Cambridge/LSE students? A*AA, studying Economics (and Management). One internship each at a decent place.

That's luck my friend.
Original post by jevira

Lol, I have offer from 2 banks (They dont collide so im doin both), waiting for response after interview from 1 and assessment center next week in london for another.

and yea, I do not live in england nor am I english.
Original post by speedbird
False. At my AC 70-90% of the interviewees were studying in Europe.

where did you do AC?
Reply 3338
Yes, it's not ALL luck, but a huge aspect of it is.

Taking BoAML - how do they pick between 10 Oxford/Cambridge/LSE students? A*AA, studying Economics (and Management). One internship each at a decent place.

That's luck my friend.

People on here actually have internships?
Original post by barrebarro
where did you do AC?

JPM and MS

Latest

Trending

Trending