Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lol director takes the time out to offer help on a SW application. Good one :ahee:

...not :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    tbh mate, if you have all these contacts etc, why are you wasting your time filling out online applications.

I haven't started filling out any applications yet.

Do you think he's saying that he'll pull strings for me?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I applied for most of the Spring Weeks over the past few weeks and now I was wondering how the procedure goes on for the individual banks.

Would any of you happen to know who does phone interviews ?
    Also, which of the banks has assessment centers (presentations, numerical, verbal etc) and who rely on an interview or just your application ?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    How much info specific to the bank are people mentioning in their cover letters? I don't really know much about their office 'culture' but I'm trying to find some of their prolific deals in the division I'm interested in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    When applying for spring weeks, how much emphasis is placed on work experince?

If I go to a non - target uni, (Durham) but have several work placements including 2 BB's, 1 mid mark market bank, 1 interdealer broker and an investment management company, will this stand me in good stead? Despite the fact that I am coming from a non - target.
    Durham is not a non-target uni.. I've met loads of people from Durham on spring & summer internships at BBs. In my opinion work experience is more important than university.

(Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Going to Durham makes zero sense if you know you want to work in investment banking. Trust me.
    All the investment banks are in London.
    You idiot.

ReputationRep:
    yawn

ReputationRep:
    All the investment banks are in London.
    What about JPM, BO & MO in Bournemouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    What about JPM, BO & MO in Bournemouth?
    If we're going to be picky then we could say what about New York; fair few investment banks there. He clearly meant FO though, and in the UK; so London is the only place.

In relation to the issue though; i've taken being based in London for granted; but the fact is, think how much time it would have taken to go to the 15 or so events and interviews that i have been to at bank's London offices, if i was at Durham or somewhere outside of London. It is so much of a help to be in London for these things. If you can get into say UCL or Durham, and you want to go into banking, then i would go for UCL every time; even without the reputation, being in London for the past year has shown me how much more help it is; and i don't have to mess around with reimburse forms, booking trains, and missing lectures to leave at 1pm for a 6pm event etc.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it helps for practical reasons but I wouldn't solely pick a uni down to that. You're spending 3 years of your life there so you have to like the place.

And you can break in from Durham, I've met lots of people at events from Durham. It's not a 'top target' or whatever but if you are good it shouldn't hold you back (all in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    My point about going to Durham was made with respect to networking opportunities. I think even my staunchest critics on this forum would agree with me on this.

ReputationRep:
    I just received some very interesting news, not sure if you guys want to hear it though. You probably wouldn't believe me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just received some very interesting news, not sure if you guys want to hear it though. You probably wouldn't believe me anyway.
    do tell...

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling you're talking about the MS & Barcap news? If so I'd be interested to know how you got hold of that..

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys can anybody please tell me if we need to upload a cover letter for J.P Morgan spring week app? There's no option for it, just one to upload your CV so I can only upload the one file :confused:

They ask one motivation question and that's it...so do we not provide a cover letter than?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zynx)
    Hi guys can anybody please tell me if we need to upload a cover letter for J.P Morgan spring week app? There's no option for it, just one to upload your CV so I can only upload the one file :confused:

They ask one motivation question and that's it...so do we not provide a cover letter than?
    The motivation question is a substitute for the cover letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)

What is the motivation question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)

put it was one document - better to have a covering letter, more professional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mSet)
    I have a feeling you're talking about the MS & Barcap news? If so I'd be interested to know how you got hold of that..
    yeah.

ReputationRep:
    What are these ms and barcap news?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Industrious Orca)
    What is the motivation question?
    Please explain your motivation for applying to investment banking as an industry and Spring Week: Experience IB & Risk in particular

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.