Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outsanity)
    How are you guys going about all these apps? I was thinking 2 per day so I'll be done by the weekend but that's no easy feat (as I found out today)
    Now that my semester is over as of today, I plan on finishing them all by the weekend. The longest part for me is researching the bank to include something for my motivation to apply there in my cover letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    Now that my semester is over as of today, I plan on finishing them all by the weekend. The longest part for me is researching the bank to include something for my motivation to apply there in my cover letter.
    I was told by RBS HR that cover letters should not be personalised to particluar banks. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    HSBC. I think it's the first year they are doing it.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eco1234)
    really? bloody hell haha.... ok obviously im not applying for the right thing

what are the questions asked in spring week? if you cant remember a rough idea would be great if you can remember please
    Which qualities & skills do you possess that make you suited to the role to which you have applied?
    (90 words max)
    From the research that you have done on our industry, how does Barclays Capital differentiate itself from our competitors?
    (90 words max)
    Describe a recent development in the Investment Banking industry. What implications might this development have for the division to which you have applied?
    (90 words max)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eco1234)
    really? bloody hell haha.... ok obviously im not applying for the right thing

what are the questions asked in spring week? if you cant remember a rough idea would be great if you can remember please
    Are you sure you're applying for the BarCap SW and not the Barclays Retail one? I think they're 2 different programs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Don_123)
    Are you sure you're applying for the BarCap SW and not the Barclays Retail one? I think they're 2 different programs.
    yeh I was applying to the retail one, which is why i asked that question... thought it was a bit odd... the site kept messing up so i ended up doing that application thinking it was for spring week. but on the spring week one now... just need to figure out how barcap differentiates itself ergh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir KBS)
    I was told by RBS HR that cover letters should not be personalised to particluar banks. Is this true?
    Really? That's totally conflicting information to what I've gathered by various sources.

I mean isn't the whole point of a cover letter to refer to the particular role/desk/firm you're applying to? I'd rather justify why I'm applying to a particular bank than give a generic letter for all of them. In some apps they ask questions instead of asking for a cover letter and there's almost always a question asking why you want to apply to that particular programme.

Anybody want to share their view on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Really? That's totally conflicting information to what I've gathered by various sources.

I mean isn't the whole point of a cover letter to refer to the particular role/desk/firm you're applying to? I'd rather justify why I'm applying to a particular bank than give a generic letter for all of them. In some apps they ask questions instead of asking for a cover letter and there's almost always a question asking why you want to apply to that particular programme.

Agreed

ReputationRep:
    About to do the JP Morgan numerical test, just did the practice and failed miserably, I'm not at all hopeful. I hate these SHL papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    About to do the JP Morgan numerical test, just did the practice and failed miserably, I'm not at all hopeful. I hate these SHL papers.
    I hate Kenexa tests. I love SHL. Does any1 know whether the difficulty of SHL tests taken in English does vary from the difficulty of a test gaken in German? For JPM I was able to select the language and selected german... I hope, that this won't let my application sink faster than the titanic.

ReputationRep:

Just wondering if you were writing 'why you're applying to that particular bank' and 'why you're applying to that particular programme' as two separate sections or just writing one of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gustman)
    Just wondering if you were writing 'why you're applying to that particular bank' and 'why you're applying to that particular programme' as two separate sections or just writing one of them?
    I always did it as one section, as in "Why did I apply to this programme at this bank?"

Followed by the "Why me?" section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gustman)
    (Original post by Outsanity)
    I always did it as one section, as in "Why did I apply to this programme at this bank?"

Followed by the "Why me?" section.
    Exactly that. Don't want to make it too long and also should keep some bank specific research for yourself so you have some new material to bring out at the interview.

Assuming they even read page-long cover letters.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that. Don't want to make it too long and also should keep some bank specific research for yourself so you have some new material to bring out at the interview.

Assuming they even read page-long cover letters.
    Agree with you there cos I've heard they mostly care about the CV. they only read cover letters to see whose got good written communication skills and understand what the format should be whereas banks like JPM, MS, GS, DB obv do care about those considering they are the ones who are competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeshr)
    Hey, just wondering... MS says we may have to do various tests including logic reasoning etc..which ones did you actually do for the spring program? just the numerical?
    Just numerical altho you've probably done it by now. It's easy stuff don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Apart from a practice or two around, are there any other SHL practice tests you can take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Han)
    You have a nomura test? When did you apply? I haven't heard anything from them yet
    yeah nomura want me to do a logical test
    i HATE them!

(Original post by sportycricketer)
    I don't have a test from HSBC or Nomura either
    ah yeah HSBC just asked competency questions, i thought it was going to be a proper numerical/verbal test!

ReputationRep:
    in addition to the jpmorgan, credit suisse and morgan stanley tests i did yesterday

i now have

deutsche bank, nomura, UBS and BarCap tests to do in the next 6 days

haaate tests!

also

HSBC rejection... lol

ReputationRep:
    question

bank of america application....
    is it just me or was that the quickest and weirdest one?
    i uploaded a CV ... :s

ReputationRep:
    People who have Nomura tests, when did you apply? Haven't heard anything from them and it's been 3 weeks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.