The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Outsanity
Ugh, did you guys to a Covering Letter for DB? They ask for a CV and Covering Letter to be uploaded as one document but then ask you all those questions at the end which are practically what I've written in my Covering Letter :s-smilie: Should I just lift them straight from it?

If they ask you questions separately then use the CL to either add more detail to the information you've given in the answers (especially useful if answers are character limited) or you could use it as an opportunity to talk about other things you may have left out of the CL in order to keep it to a page.
Reply 1161
Original post by Marc Fiorano
If they ask you questions separately then use the CL to either add more detail to the information you've given in the answers (especially useful if answers are character limited) or you could use it as an opportunity to talk about other things you may have left out of the CL in order to keep it to a page.

do we have to submit a cover letter for DB?? I didn't see that it said that... i didnt submit one just a cv.....
Original post by eco1234
do we have to submit a cover letter for DB?? I didn't see that it said that... i didnt submit one just a cv.....

I'm not applying to DB so I don't know, hopefully somebody on here can confirm this for you.

Usually, the apps that ask for CLs don't have questions. As you say DB had questions I'm inclined to think they don't ask for a CL. That's what usually is the case, in my experience.
Reply 1163
Original post by Marc Fiorano
I'm not applying to DB so I don't know, hopefully somebody on here can confirm this for you.

Usually, the apps that ask for CLs don't have questions. As you say DB had questions I'm inclined to think they don't ask for a CL. That's what usually is the case, in my experience.

At many firms CLs are optional altogether, so it's up to you. I guess a CL in itself just shows you've put the time in creating something for X firm specifically. (granted you've included something unique to firm X). A good CL will never hurt.
Original post by eco1234

This is my problem - it reads:

Attach CV*
You can only attach one file: this should contain your CV, cover letter and any other materials relevant for your particular application. Note also that only CVs in the Word (.doc), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf), or plain text (.txt) formats will be reviewed.

But then there's the questions at the end. For all of the other applications I've done where it's said "Upload CV" I've only uploaded a CV though. :confused:
Reply 1165
RBS want me to do a numerical now :s

ughh i thought i got through aaaallll the tests last week
Reply 1166
Original post by Milan.
RBS want me to do a numerical now :s

ughh i thought i got through aaaallll the tests last week

did you apply to GBM Banking at RBS?
Original post by TomasK
At many firms CLs are optional altogether, so it's up to you. I guess a CL in itself just shows you've put the time in creating something for X firm specifically. (granted you've included something unique to firm X). A good CL will never hurt.

I totally agree.
It's safer to always include a CL. Including a CL when it's not needed isn't anywhere as bad as not including one when it is needed. So safest option is just to always include it with the CV.
Christ, I havent spent so long on an application 'til i reached the BNP one.

Are there any SEO FYFT applicants here?
Reply 1169
for barclays application they ask for test scores... do we need to fill anything in or just put n/a? and then we get sent tests after?
Original post by eco1234
for barclays application they ask for test scores... do we need to fill anything in or just put n/a? and then we get sent tests after?

Isn't it talking about "other" test scores you may have? Like GMAT etc? I think I just ticked the "I haven't completed any of these tests" box.
Reply 1171
I havent received any tests from Citi or GS. Anyone got anything?
Reply 1172
Original post by TroTro

GS don't test.
I haven't got anything from Citi/Nomura or BoAML.
Two questions:

- Those of you in first year, are you predicting yourself a 2:1? I've been getting 1sts in my coursework but is it better to just predict yourself the standard grade?
- Do you have to be in first year to do some of these spring weeks? I'm a first year, doing a 4 year course, and I haven't applied to those which specifically say (second year of a four year course). Is it ok to apply to those which just say first year?

Sorry these may seem like stupid questions :colondollar:
Original post by TroTro

I went to the Citi presentation a few months back and i remember a HR representative saying theres no tests or interviews. Not 100% sure on the former though but i remember feeling rather optimisitc when she was telling me about the application process
Reply 1175
Original post by eco1234
did you apply to GBM Banking at RBS?

markets
Reply 1176
Original post by miml
GS don't test.
I haven't got anything from Citi/Nomura or BoAML.

Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
I went to the Citi presentation a few months back and i remember a HR representative saying theres no tests or interviews. Not 100% sure on the former though but i remember feeling rather optimisitc when she was telling me about the application process

Thanks guys. @Miml, I got a Nomura test two days after submission just btw
Reply 1177
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot

Yeah, I don't think Citi or BofAML have tests since their spring weeks are just 'events' and not actual internship programs.
Reply 1178
Original post by TroTro
Thanks guys. @Miml, I got a Nomura test two days after submission just btw

did you apply for the spring programme or the womens one?
Reply 1179
Original post by natty_d
Two questions:

- Those of you in first year, are you predicting yourself a 2:1? I've been getting 1sts in my coursework but is it better to just predict yourself the standard grade?
- Do you have to be in first year to do some of these spring weeks? I'm a first year, doing a 4 year course, and I haven't applied to those which specifically say (second year of a four year course). Is it ok to apply to those which just say first year?

Sorry these may seem like stupid questions :colondollar:

Usually you can apply for these regardless of whether you are on the 1st year of 4 year course, or 2nd year of 4 year course. If your course has a 3 year option then it is possible to say you are doing the 3 year option on your applications and then after the spring week say you have decided to do the 4 year course in which case you will be eligible to do another spring week next year. If your course doesn't have this option then it is unlikely you will be considered for the spring week anyway, as the banks want people who fit the recruitment 'timeline'

As for predicting grades, I'm in 2nd year so have my results already. I've predicted myself a 2:1 for most places (despite a 1st last year) and I think it's best to just predict a 2:1 at least, just so you get pass the auto filters.

Latest

Trending

Trending