The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jack_the_ripper
Hey I applied to MS but when I log on I cant check the status of my application, how do I know what the status of my application is??

They said they would email us in early Dec but many people (including me) haven't heard back yet!
Reply 1761
Original post by jack_the_ripper
Hey I applied to MS but when I log on I cant check the status of my application, how do I know what the status of my application is??

same here mate, but from what i've heard MS can take a long time to reply, so just be patient
Original post by sw3
same here mate, but from what i've heard MS can take a long time to reply, so just be patient

Original post by woods.vanessa
They said they would email us in early Dec but many people (including me) haven't heard back yet!

Can't find my application status link! can you link me please?

any interviews/ offers yet?
Original post by i_hate_teeth

Have you got any offer/interviews yet btw?
Original post by natashabedford
Have you got any offer/interviews yet btw?

yeah i do, what uni do you go to?
yeah i do, what uni do you go to?

LSE. pure economics. what about u? and what have u got offer/interview-wise?
LSE. pure economics. what about u? and what have u got offer/interview-wise?

Interesting...
Original post by Michael XYZ
Interesting...

u 2?
Original post by yothi5
Are you applying for Summer Internships and spring?!

Mainly summer's; springs at JPMorgan, BarCap and BP only.
Original post by lilly xx
Couldn't disagree more. If banks see a 'brand name' on your CV they think "hmm, this person was good enough for this company - we should interview to check we're no losing someone to competitors". It also reduces the risk in hiring and shows you have contacts which is always vital, whatever FO department you're in.
Is it essential for internship stage? no, because hardly anyone has interned by autumn of second year. Is it a MASSIVE plus? yes, it will trump any EC on a CV.
Involved in investment'/finance/econ soc? yawn. so is everyone.
Treasurer of investment society? better, but still boring and common.
You can guarantee EVERYONE put something down about an EC in finance, but EC's dont count unless they show achievement. Taking part in investment is just 'doing something' not achieving something - even if you get good returns!

So, definitely well done for your intership offers, but you couldn't be more wrong that work exp doesn't help - it's just most people don't have it.

Note - work exp needs to be paid and reasonably long to count.

A brand name? Like 'Bob's financial advisory company ltd'? If you got onto a programme like the JPMorgan Schools Programme then that shows that you were good enough for JPMorgan and made it through their process. If you did some work experience somewhere else with no rigid application process, then it shows that daddy had some contacts and got you in, more often than not. Bankers aren't stupid, they know how you got that work experience.

It doesn't reduce the risk in hiring; at 19 years old which most people here will be, doing 6 months at 'Bob's financial advisory company ltd', doesn't show that you can add value at Goldman Sachs, and the banks know that too; it shows you're interested, but doesn't show that you will be a top banker.

Banks don't care if you have contacts, why would they care?

It won't trump any EC, because it shows that you had contacts and got in that way (unless it's a named programme such as the JPMorgan one above). Being on the executive committee (of 10s of people, not 'eveyone') of the finance society with several thousand students on your mailing list trumps that. Managing your own investment fund at the age of 19 with over 60% of funds from outside investors trumps that. Holding down positions in 2 first team sports teams (including captaining one) with training 3 times a week trumps that.
All my ECs show that i can take on a load of work at once and achieve at all of it to a high standard. Your work experience shows that your daddy has contacts. Bankers aren't stupid and know this stuff. I've come further with my ECs than i would have with 5 different placements at finance firms.

Work experience is not needed at all, and not the most important thing by any stretch until you're applying for an associate position. You might get an internship with Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan or Morgan Stanley through having 5 different placements in corporate finance on your CV; there's more than one way to do it; from my experience, ECs have proved to be better than work experience for me.

So far have JPM interview coming up! You?
Reply 1772
So far have JPM interview coming up! You?

you ibd ye? Which day you choose and what time?

How many people do u reckon they will interview in each slot..
u 2?

Indeed.
Reply 1774
Indeed.

There are millions of you econ lot, only a rare selection of us mathematicians at LSE. jk much love.
Reply 1775
Does it exist a bank who doesn't ask a cover letter for the SW??
Original post by mcp2
There are millions of you econ lot, only a rare selection of us mathematicians at LSE. jk much love.

Indeed.

Funny you say that cos theres hardly any of people from my dept :rolleyes:
Reply 1777
Original post by sportycricketer
Funny you say that cos theres hardly any of people from my dept :rolleyes:

Yah but...stats innit
Original post by mcp2
Yah but...stats innit

Even though mathematicians and statisticians have the same first year and share two modules next year... :rolleyes:
maths >> stats...
my university does not even have an ug course for stats only ahaha

Latest

Trending

Trending