Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hello,

I start my MSK outpatient placement very soon and I'm quite nervous as I have heard it can be quite difficult and MSK is my least favourite! I was just hoping for some tips really and things I should really read over before my placement.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did one end of last year, and loved it, but then it's my favourite. Myself and a fellow student did a lot of pre placement revision before going out, and really it didn't help at all. Thing is, you will turn up and have to adapt to whatever style your CE has. Obviously knowing the ORIONS of major muscles in the body along with common pathologies such as tennis elbow is going to be a massive help, but in terms of knowing how to assess and treat patients, just turn up ready to learn!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with IronMike. I've just done my first OP placement, starting my second soon. I think the main thing is to be practice your subjective ax and be quite slick- think about why you are asking questions and what you will do with the information (e.g. red flags, THREADS etc). Also go through a basic objective ax that you can alter for any joint- Magee is quite good for that. If it's your first one they'll probably be looking more for god assessment skills to begin with, a decent anatomical knowledge to help with your reasoning, and then the treatment stuff will follow on later.

Main point- turn up ready to learn! I was totally bricking myself about OP, but ended up really enjoying it when I didn't think that I would

ReputationRep:
    Clinical Sports Medicine by Brukner and Khan is very useful

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much guys
    I definitely need to go over my anatomy, I think I've forgotten most of it :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.