Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need some help!
    I'm an international student and really don't have a clue about the comparative quality of the Medicine course in various UK unis..
    I need to rank a bunch of unis on my matching form and will most likely get one of my top 3 choices, whatever they may be. (btw i've done preclinical in my country and now this is for just the clinical part)
    I have taken a look at some rankings, and there are so many of them, I'm not sure which to trust! Plus the unis with high rankings seem to have the lowest scores in Student Satisfaction Surveys

So.. please help.. how would you rank the following unis from first choice to last? (mainly based on quality of teaching)

Aberdeen
    Dundee
    Glasgow
    Keele
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Manchester
    Nottingham
    Southampton

Any comments about comparative quality of city life, etc. will also be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks very much in advance for any and all help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathcraze)
    Need some help!
    I'm an international student and really don't have a clue about the comparative quality of the Medicine course in various UK unis..
    I need to rank a bunch of unis on my matching form and will most likely get one of my top 3 choices, whatever they may be. (btw i've done preclinical in my country and now this is for just the clinical part)
    I have taken a look at some rankings, and there are so many of them, I'm not sure which to trust! Plus the unis with high rankings seem to have the lowest scores in Student Satisfaction Surveys

So.. please help.. how would you rank the following unis from first choice to last? (mainly based on quality of teaching)

Aberdeen
    Dundee
    Glasgow
    Keele
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Manchester
    Nottingham
    Southampton

Any comments about comparative quality of city life, etc. will also be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks very much in advance for any and all help!
    The teaching 'quality' at each of the universities you have listed is excellent (there really is no clear higherarchy in the uk when it comes to the quality of teaching) If you graduate form any of the above you will be able to attain GMC provisional registraton, not something they would give if the institution was anything but excellent.

You said yourself that there are so many rankings that the results mean very little.

When deciding where you should go, you should look at factors like; cost, location, teaching style (there can be a real diference) I would try to ask people that study there to get the best indication.

For your career it doesn't mater where you end up graduating from, it matters how good you are when you do

Despite what I have said Aberdeen is the best and you should definitely come here

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of any of those places. For medicine your top three should be:
    1. bath
    2. LSE
    3. university of lincoln

ReputationRep:
    :laugh::laugh:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    1. bath
    2. LSE
    3. university of lincoln

ReputationRep:
    i don't have an option to go anywhere other than the above listed. also, cost is not a factor as long as it is within those listed

provisionally i am currently considering glasgow, manchester, aberdeen as possibly my top 3, but glasgow and manchester appear to have to lowest student satisfaction on teaching in surveys i've seen, which really worries me

ReputationRep:
    1. bath
    2. LSE
    3. university of lincoln
    Lol ...talking about morning glory , it doesnt get any better than this !!

ReputationRep:
    1. bath
    2. LSE
    3. university of lincoln
    surely the idea is to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathcraze)
    N (btw i've done preclinical in my country and now this is for just the clinical part)
    are you sure any of those 'schools are going to let you do that....?

ReputationRep:
    yup, i'm in a twinning programme, (2.5+3) an agreement between my uni here in my country and the abovementioned unis.
    thus the need for a ranking - matching forms to be filled in..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    If you graduate form any of the above you will be able to attain GMC provisional registraton, not something they would give if the institution was anything but excellent.
    The OP can probably clarify but I think the malaysian deal is that they get their tuition paid but have to do a fixed number of years service back in malaysia after they graduate as repayment. So this may not necessarily lead to viable provisional registration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airtones)
    The OP can probably clarify but I think the malaysian deal is that they get their tuition paid but have to do a fixed number of years service back in malaysia after they graduate as repayment. So this may not necessarily lead to viable provisional registration.
    You may well be right, my point was that you will be allowed to practice medicine (which we all want ) as a graduate of any of the above

ReputationRep:
    We have lots of malaysian students who come to Southampton from third year onwards. I'm friends with a few of them and they all tend to enjoy it. Close to london but not as expensive, lots to do around Southampton. It seems as though you have your eye on somewhere much more north though.

Good luck whatever you decide

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.