The Student Room Group

Confusing offer

I'm applying for Bsc Zoology, and Sheffield uni was the first to get back to me on UCAS. The offer was AAA, which was a bit daunting seeing as I'm not confident I'll get more than a B in chemistry (predicted A*AB).
A few days later, I got another "something has changed on your UCAS" email, and clicked to find that Sheffield had changed my offer to AAB. No explanation, but I wasn't going to argue: I assumed that the first offer had been a mistake (they seem to only give AAA offers to students applying for the Msci).
More recently, the uni sent me an information package about the biology department, and on the first page it said "Your offer is: AAA". :confused: The offer I have on UCAS remains as AAB.
Anyone else had problems with unis making mistakes on their offers or giving conflicting information?
Reply 1
Original post by klipspringer
I'm applying for Bsc Zoology, and Sheffield uni was the first to get back to me on UCAS. The offer was AAA, which was a bit daunting seeing as I'm not confident I'll get more than a B in chemistry (predicted A*AB).
A few days later, I got another "something has changed on your UCAS" email, and clicked to find that Sheffield had changed my offer to AAB. No explanation, but I wasn't going to argue: I assumed that the first offer had been a mistake (they seem to only give AAA offers to students applying for the Msci).
More recently, the uni sent me an information package about the biology department, and on the first page it said "Your offer is: AAA". :confused: The offer I have on UCAS remains as AAB.
Anyone else had problems with unis making mistakes on their offers or giving conflicting information?

Why don't you just ring them up and ask?
Reply 2
Just go with the UCAS one. That information package was probably made before they realised they did your offer wrong. UCAS is the binding offer :smile:
Reply 3
If UCAS says AAB... then you should take that one. But to be on the safe side I would either ring up UCAS or the University and ask them to clarify for you.
If you're going to talk to UCAS, have your Personal ID Number ready, they'll ask for it.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by ily_em
Just go with the UCAS one. That information package was probably made before they realised they did your offer wrong. UCAS is the binding offer :smile:

But, if mistakenly made, can be corrected in the future. I'd call the university to check so that I knew where I stood, personally. It is better to be aware of problems at a time when they can be circumvented rather than waiting until they become an intractable issue.
Reply 5
Thanks :smile: I'll ring the uni and hope they don't go "Thanks for pointing that out, it was AAA all along! :ahee:"
Reply 6
Original post by klipspringer
Thanks :smile: I'll ring the uni and hope they don't go "Thanks for pointing that out, it was AAA all along! :ahee:"

haha, I had such a scare. I decided to ring Durham because I didn't understand my offer. I explained the situation of 43 points being weird because the Dutch standard is eight subjects and that it would mean that I could fail all of my subjects and end up still making the offer of 43 points. The woman on the phone goes: 'I do not get it, do you want us to "up" the offer to say, 70 points?' She understood what I wanted in the end, but I had a mini-heart attack for a moment :tongue:

Good luck on your query ^^
Reply 7
Thanks guys :smile: I rang them last Wednesday and was told they'd made a mistake putting it as AAA so had corrected it, andf they don't know why the package I received said otherwise. Now I can get on and accept the offer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending