Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: sorry, ingore the 'brookes' in the title.

Hello, I will be coming back to England from Turkey with my girlfriend for 1 or 2 years. We have a list of several locations in the UK where she can do her masters and where I will start an open uni course.

Cambridge is one of the places. However, I'm not familiar at all with the area nor with the availability of acommodation, jobs etc and which areas to avoid/focus on, so we really would like to find out about the following so we can compare it to other locations:

1. Names of areas for acommodation to avoid (ie full of chavs, unsafe etc)
    2. Names of areas for acommodation that are safe, recommended for students
    3. What sort of acommodation in and around Cambridge (within 30 mins) could be obtained for 2 people for not much more than 400 pounds per month, and are these areas safe/recommended?
    4. Cost of living compared to rest of UK?
    5. Part and full time employment opportunities in any job - availability?
    6. What things are there do to during free time and weekends?
    7. Is there the availability of seminaries and other similar short courses, events and educational supplements to boost the studying of someone doing a masters degree (my girlfriend)?
    8. What is the nearest airport?
    9. What are bus services like in and around Cambridge?
    10. Is there a relaible train network?

I have looked on gumtree.com for an idea of acommodation costs etc, but it seems to vary widely and I am unsure if the cheap ones I found that look okay are actually in an unsafe area ridden with chavs and the like.

If someone can provide me with some details and recommendations regarding my above queries I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is a very expensive place to live.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, i doubt that you'll get a place for two that costs under £400 unless you live in a shared house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmmyes)

Hello, I will be coming back to England from Turkey with my girlfriend for 1 or 2 years. We have a list of several locations in the UK where she can do her masters and where I will start an open uni course.

Cambridge is one of the places. However, I'm not familiar at all with the area nor with the availability of acommodation, jobs etc and which areas to avoid/focus on, so we really would like to find out about the following so we can compare it to other locations:

3. What sort of acommodation in and around Cambridge (within 30 mins) could be obtained for 2 people for not much more than 400 pounds per month, and are these areas safe/recommended?
    7. Is there the availability of seminaries and other similar short courses, events and educational supplements to boost the studying of someone doing a masters degree (my girlfriend)?

I have looked on gumtree.com for an idea of acommodation costs etc, but it seems to vary widely and I am unsure if the cheap ones I found that look okay are actually in an unsafe area ridden with chavs and the like.

If someone can provide me with some details and recommendations regarding my above queries I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance.
    I've lived in Cambridge for 18 years. To my knowledge, no place there is particularly dangerous, a lot of people say that Arbury is, but it's not really. It is very expensive to rent there though, and I'd either suggest renting just outside in one of the surrounding villages, or house sharing.

Train links are very good, there are trains to London Kings Cross which take just under 50 minutes, and trains to Stansted Airport. The closest airport is Stansted (i think), and there are trains going directly to and from that airport. Luton is another airport that stands out to me as being closeish.

Bus services are pretty awful to be fair. It's quite expensive, and they never really run on time during and just after peak hours.

I'd assume there's a fair amount of job availability, but given that we're in the recession there isn't lots of jobs around. A fair amount of professional people commute to London, but it depends on what sort of work you're after.

There are nice pubs in Cambridge, and there are plenty of festivals in the summer, such as the folk festival, beer festival, Strawberry Fair (although this may have been cancelled), midsommer common fair etc. Im not sure about educational courses though, as i didn't attend university in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Train links are very good, there are trains to London Kings Cross which take just under 50 minutes, and trains to Stansted Airport. The closest airport is Stansted (i think), and there are trains going directly to and from that airport. Luton is another airport that stands out to me as being closeish.
    Luton is close but if you don't have a car it's difficult to get to because there aren't any normal bus links or a train line there.

ReputationRep:
    [*]Is there the availability of seminaries and other similar short courses, events and educational supplements to boost the studying of someone doing a masters degree (my girlfriend)?
    There's bundles of this kind of thing if you're in the University. You can also just get a list of all the lectures and go to any that interest you. There are plenty of social, cultural and intellectual things on all the time during term (half of the year) if you are connected to the University. I get the impression that Cambridge is a bit more dull if you're not in the University, but it still seems a content, pleasant place to live relative to other places in the UK. Remember that its a town rather than a city, so you shouldn't come here if you love clubbing and that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm although it looks like a pretty city and a cultural one, it's just too expensive for us as we do not want to share with others. But we can visit it!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Try Scotland

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.

You could get a double room in a shared house in somewhere like Cherry Hinton or Kings Hedges for about £400. TBH, if you want value you're better going up North. Cambridge is eye-wateringly expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.