Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not in my experience, I see a lot of these metro guys in the gym trying to put muscle on, most give up after a few weeks.They always without fail ask me for tips on building muscle . I reckon some, not all are metro because their bodies can't take it and are girly men. Makes me laugh thinking they give off this camp attitude but secretly go to the gym as they are not happy with themselves. I wonder if going to the gym for them is like a married man entering a gay bathhouse ? Do his metro mates know he goes there to butch up? I actually don't mind the guys who are camp and proud of it however. In fact a mate of mine is a bit like that.

I think a lot of girls see them as unthreatening and like other girls but with penis's,but I still get the feeling that many girls like muscles, Iam not short of attention, could be my confidence has increased since working out but before I put muscle on I get much less notice.

Also .I often find that guys who lack attention and interest from women,look at other guys with girls and automatically assume that it's their physique or style that is the reason, that the grass is greener. It is far more important to be comfortable with yourself, I suspect those metro guys I was talking about have seem jock type guys with women all over them and think building muscle will get them girls. Unless you are ugly, obese or have personal hygene issues there is no reason you can't get girls either.

wtf is wrong with skinny jeans? they were popular long before the scenexc0re ******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manc990)
    It seems now that the 'metro sexual' man is what most girls go for. When i was in high school i used to get a lot of attention from girls. Im white 6ft 2 and well built. Now it seems because i dont wear skinny jeans and cry at films im not the desired man. When did this change and when will this fad fade? I thought men were suppose to be men?!
    I'm always saying this to my friends!

I personally love tall, well -built "manly men"and yet it seems they're a dying breed It seems that so many guys these days spend more time on their appearance than I do , and so many girls seem attracted to the so called modern metro man.

I'm always being called old fashioned, but I accept that people are individuals and can be as manly or feminine as they choose. It just seems that there are less manly types about these days and that the idea of the average man is changing. Most manly types are older, which I have no problem with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Not in my experience, I see a lot of these metro guys in the gym trying to put muscle on, most give up after a few weeks.They always without fail ask me for tips on building muscle . I reckon some, not all are metro because their bodies can't take it and are girly men. Makes me laugh thinking they give off this camp attitude but secretly go to the gym as they are not happy with themselves. I wonder if going to the gym for them is like a married man entering a gay bathhouse ? Do his metro mates know he goes there to butch up? I actually don't mind the guys who are camp and proud of it however. In fact a mate of mine is a bit like that.

I think a lot of girls see them as unthreatening and like other girls but with penis's,but I still get the feeling that many girls like muscles, Iam not short of attention, could be my confidence has increased since working out but before I put muscle on I get much less notice.

Also .I often find that guys who lack attention and interest from women,look at other guys with girls and automatically assume that it's their physique or style that is the reason, that the grass is greener. It is far more important to be comfortable with yourself, I suspect those metro guys I was talking about have seem jock type guys with women all over them and think building muscle will get them girls. Unless you are ugly, obese or have personal hygene issues there is no reason you can't get girls either.
    Or short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Heather.)
    I'm always saying this to my friends!

I personally love tall, well -built "manly men"and yet it seems they're a dying breed It seems that so many guys these days spend more time on their appearance than I do , and so many girls seem attracted to the so called modern metro man.

I'm always being called old fashioned, but I accept that people are individuals and can be as manly or feminine as they choose. It just seems that there are less manly types about these days and that the idea of the average man is changing. Most manly types are older, which I have no problem with.
    So it's only tall and well-built men that are masculine?

I wonder what would happen if a guy made a similar comment about women and femininity... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~)
    haha!! Please feel free to PM me in that case lol
    :sexface:

I may just have to take you up on that offer....

haha, define smartly dressed though....cos for me it means shirt+jumper (maybe a tie depending on my mood)...and I have friends to whom smartly is jeans and a T-shirt

(Original post by aura1947)
    Hmm, so you are implying to be metro-sexual is to be gay?

Being gay is only, and only about being attracted to the same gender. Gay men don't have some sort of gene that makes them more fashionably sound or whatever.

People like you who rely so blindly on stereotypes sicken me.
    Shut up ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkel)

I wonder what would happen if a guy made a similar comment about women and femininity... :rolleyes:
    ... well, I'm bi. I am a girl. I cannot stand skinny guys (I am a size 8 and very girly) - a guy to me should be fit and definitely stronger than I am - for a guy to be unfit is not attractive (for me) because if I spend time on looking good and keeping fit to be noticed - so should the guys if they are to get noticed by me.

However girls - girls should be definitely curvy (for me). It just shows of their shape which is the best part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkel)

No, of course not I didn't mean it to come across like that, I'm pretty tired.
    Being masculine is much more about having a masculine attitude and behaving in a manly way ( as oppose to behaving in a way that is typically female etc etc).

Tall and well-built is my personal physical preference which is an entirely separate issue. It's much more important to me that a guy is manly in attitude. It just seems today that lots of girls prefer skinny and sometimes even slightly androgenous-looking guys, which I'd say is a fairly modern outlook, and the OP mentioned this in his initial post.

Hope this made sense, I really need to sleep!

ReputationRep:
    manly men :adore: :drool: :fan: :heart: :hitit: :hubba: :nutcase: :perv: :sexface: :smug: :sogood:

metrosexuals :zomg::yucky::yikes::upyours::thumbsdown::talkhand::shot::shock::sad::puke::pee::nooo::no::naughty::nn::lolwut::huff::hide::haughty::grr::hand::gunfire::gasp::frown::doh::dry::eek4::eek2::cry2::colonhash::cheeky::catfight::boring::banghead::bawling::argh::afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone think that every guy wearing skinny jeans is a wimp?
    You're all so prejudiced... :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    :sexface:

I may just have to take you up on that offer....

haha, define smartly dressed though....cos for me it means shirt+jumper (maybe a tie depending on my mood)...and I have friends to whom smartly is jeans and a T-shirt
    Sounds smart enough to me lol

ReputationRep:
    No i dont think there is anything worng with dressing good and looking after yourself but i would not cry at film so i would not be pleased if my bf did it i am a tough one when it comes to crying

crying =weekness

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.