Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Landlady won't give us the house because of our gender watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've visited a house with 2 of my mates who are both boys. It's a 5 man house, 2 girls and us 3. It's in a fantastic location and with people I could really get on with. The only obstacle was the landlady who doesn't want to give the house to a majority of males because two years back there were 5 males who puked on her carpet and trashed the house/disturbed the neighbours etc.

One of the girls already lives there and therefore knows the landlady. She seems incredibly sensible so I hoped that would have been enough. She rang her up and the reply was that she would think about it. 2 days later the girl got back to us saying that the landlady had said no and the reason was that we were male (obviously fearful of a repeat situation which is understandable).

I'm wondering if I should try to get the number of the landlady, to try and get us to meet her and thus see that the chance of us being ***** of titanic proportions is basically nil. Because all she is going off is that we are boys. I''m pretty sure once she met me she would at least reconsider for a moment. I'm extremely shy and polite. The chances of a ******** repeat are nil.

Do you think I should do this or just cut my losses and look elsewhere? If it's still a no I'd respect that, her house - her decision.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Natsworthy)
    If it's still a no I'd respect that, her house - her decision.
    I am 90% sure that if she is running a business (which really, she is) she has to follow all the relevant regulation, which includes discrimination laws. Look back at that case of the B&B owner that turned away gay couples - they got taken to court and won. I am pretty sure it's illegal to refuse a house based on your gender, surely?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pretty sure thats Illegal.

ReputationRep:
    My landlord decided on having only female tenants too, until he realised that they're just as dirty (if not dirtier) than some men. Next year he's letting some males in.

Keep trying to convince the landlady that you're a sensible bunch. Perhaps get some references?

ReputationRep:
    Actually you are allowed to be as discriminative as you like, apart from to do with Race. Everything else they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natsworthy)
    Okay, I've visited a house with 2 of my mates who are both boys. It's a 5 man house, 2 girls and us 3. It's in a fantastic location and with people I could really get on with. The only obstacle was the landlady who doesn't want to give the house to a majority of males because two years back there were 5 males who puked on her carpet and trashed the house/disturbed the neighbours etc.

One of the girls already lives there and therefore knows the landlady. She seems incredibly sensible so I hoped that would have been enough. She rang her up and the reply was that she would think about it. 2 days later the girl got back to us saying that the landlady had said no and the reason was that we were male (obviously fearful of a repeat situation which is understandable).

I'm wondering if I should try to get the number of the landlady, to try and get us to meet her and thus see that the chance of us being ***** of titanic proportions is basically nil. Because all she is going off is that we are boys. I''m pretty sure once she met me she would at least reconsider for a moment. I'm extremely shy and polite. The chances of a ******** repeat are nil.

Do you think I should do this or just cut my losses and look elsewhere? If it's still a no I'd respect that, her house - her decision.
    Ignore the posters above, so what if its unlawful to discriminate. You're not going to gain anything out of it and would you really want to live in her property if she is like that?

She just seems apprehensive about it. I would go with your plan - arrange to see her, be yourself and she will probably reconsider. Tell her you know one of the girls living there etc. and that you won't cause any trouble. I'm sure if she is reasonable, she will let you stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    xx
    Not true, its unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of gender etc. too when renting out a house the last time I checked.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her if you can meet her face-to-face, like an interview, because you want to prove that you're really not like that. And get a reference from the place you're currently living and anywhere you previously lived (including uni halls) to back this up. But wouldn't this be illegal?

ReputationRep:
    Find another house. Stop flogging that dead horse. You said it yourself, you'll "respect her decision". Shes made her decision. Stick by your word!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Ignore the posters above, so what if its unlawful to discriminate.
    Yeh, so what if murder is illegal. Who cares?

Actually you are allowed to be as discriminative as you like, apart from to do with Race. Everything else they can.
    That's ridiculous and just plain wrong.

ReputationRep:
    would obviously be hassle to sort out and possibly easier to find another house but what she's doing is sex discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 she is not allowed to distinguish based on gender during the provision of goods and services.

ReputationRep:
    People sure do like making stuff up around here.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if she's being like this, do you want her as your landlord for the next year?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    Tbh, if she's being like this, do you want her as your landlord for the next year?
    Litigate, get your point across, move on. I hate how people think it's fine to be casually racist/sexist/ageist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Litigate, get your point across, move on. I hate how people think it's fine to be casually racist/sexist/ageist.
    She's clearly not that much of a sexist if she rented to males before.

ReputationRep:
    Try to reason with her and say you won't do the things she fears.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    She's clearly not that much of a sexist if she rented to males before.
    "So what if I hate foreign people? So what if I beat them up? I had a foreign friend once in primary school, I'm not racist."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Not true, its unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of gender etc. too when renting out a house the last time I checked.
    This is very true, unfortunately this would be nearly impossible to prove, so it is really a mute point! I think your idea of calling and meeting her is the best and as you say if she is not willing to reconsider then you will just have to accept it and look elsewhere.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    "So what if I hate foreign people? So what if I beat them up? I had a foreign friend once in primary school, I'm not racist."
    LOL, I love how you compare wanting a certain gender tenant to beating people up. Absolutely nonsense comparison. Trying to protect your investment from bad previous experience is not the same as randomly beating up people because you hate them.

Do you also whine about and sue people specifying they only want postgrads living there? Boo hoo. they chose who they want to live in THEIR property. Exactly how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    I hope to god you never become a politician.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.