Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've seen plenty of student houses not accepting tenants who are all male...it's pretty rare to find one that isn't like that round here...
    As for predominantly male, I've never known them not wanting mixed gender?

ReputationRep:
    What if it was a man refusing to rent to a load of women on the grounds that he had some before and they were too ditzy to pay their rent on time and unable to perform simple "man" tasks such as changing lightbulbs and rewiring plugs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Boo hoo. they chose who they want to live in THEIR property. Exactly how it should be.
    This isn't a discussion on the validity of discrimination laws, I'm not going to enter into this argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh, so what if murder is illegal. Who cares?
    Yeah, there are no relevant differences between renting a place out, or not doing so, AND murdering someone.
    And we should never break the law...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Yeah, there are no relevant differences between renting a place out, or not doing so, AND murdering someone.
    And we should never break the law...
    I'm just playing a little reductio ad absurdum in order to get my point across. Saying "it's only the law, who cares?" is a silly retort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Not true, its unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of gender etc. too when renting out a house the last time I checked.
    In light of that, how can student accommodation advertise as being 'female only' then?

If anyone else has the answer, feel free to join in!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I love how you compare wanting a certain gender tenant to beating people up. Absolutely nonsense comparison. Trying to protect your investment from bad previous experience is not the same as randomly beating up people because you hate them.

Do you also whine about and sue people specifying they only want postgrads living there? Boo hoo. they chose who they want to live in THEIR property. Exactly how it should be.
    Just tried to neg you for being retarded, but apparently I negged you only recently so I can't, so i'm just going to say your post is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I'm just playing a little reductio ad absurdum in order to get my point across. Saying "it's only the law, who cares?" is a silly retort.
    In this context yes it's a stupid argument, but your counter was as equally stupid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    In this context yes it's a stupid argument, but your counter was as equally stupid.
    Not really, it made my point quite well (evidently!).

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I love how you compare wanting a certain gender tenant to beating people up. Absolutely nonsense comparison. Trying to protect your investment from bad previous experience is not the same as randomly beating up people because you hate them.

Do you also whine about and sue people specifying they only want postgrads living there? Boo hoo. they chose who they want to live in THEIR property. Exactly how it should be.
    No, it should only be this way if the landlord is living in the property with them - this is indeed the way the law is set up. Gender has been accepted into the fold of equality. Therefore businesses are not allowed to take steps to mitigate losses from gender differences. It's rather scandalous that this is only just being legislated for in the fields of car insurance (where men lost out) and pension annuities (where women lost out).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    In light of that, how can student accommodation advertise as being 'female only' then?

If anyone else has the answer, feel free to join in!
    That's a case of providing accommodation to girls who aren't allowed to cohabit with boys because of religious/cultural reasons, as long as the university provides similar accommodation for males it's legal.

She's discriminating against males due to her attitude towards them, rather than providing a service for females who want single-sex accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    No, it should only be this way if the landlord is living in the property with them - this is indeed the way the law is set up. Gender has been accepted into the fold of equality. Therefore businesses are not allowed to take steps to mitigate losses from gender differences. It's rather scandalous that this is only just being legislated for in the fields of car insurance (where men lost out) and pension annuities (where women lost out).
    If someone buys a property and owns it, then it should be theirs to do as they want with it. Do I support discrimination against males, Jews, black people etc? No, of course not. I'd be horrified if someone I loved was discriminated against. But you shouldn't take away someone's rights over their own property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh, so what if murder is illegal. Who cares?
    Murder is both illegal and wrong.

Deciding not to offer one's services to certain subgroups, however discriminatory, may be illegal but not, as I see it, wrong. Landlords should be able to choose whom to rent their properties out to, not be forced by law to accept whomever comes along. If I don't want teenagers to stay in my property, because I believe that will reduce the probability of damage (as may well be the case), I should be allowed to so do, even if it means that teenagers who wouldn't do any damage are thereby hindered. The only other option (as we've seen with the EU's ruling on car insurance) is to increase the costs for everyone so as to cover the increased likelihood of damage, which in its indiscrimination is unjust.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Landlords should be able to choose whom to rent their properties out to, not be forced by law to accept whomever comes along.
    As I say, I'm not gonna get into an argument on political correctness/discrimination laws or whatnot because that's waaaay above and beyond the scope of this thread. Be it right or wrong, that's what the law is right now so love it or loath it; it's the best advice that can be given to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    "So what if I hate foreign people? So what if I beat them up? I had a foreign friend once in primary school, I'm not racist."
    'Im not racist ! I have a black friend .... on facebook'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    As I say, I'm not gonna get into an argument on political correctness/discrimination laws or whatnot because that's waaaay above and beyond the scope of this thread. Be it right or wrong, that's what the law is right now so love it or loath it; it's the best advice that can be given to the OP.
    Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the best advice. Taking a woman who's had her property damaged in the past to court is almost definitely not the best advice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the best advice. Taking a woman who's had her property damaged in the past to court is almost definitely not the best advice.
    What the OP's potential landlady is doing is illegal, end-of. It makes no difference my views (or indeed, your views) on the validity of the law.

ReputationRep:
    If someone buys a property and owns it, then it should be theirs to do as they want with it.
    Right. So you think people shouldn't be allowed in a shop just because they are black? Or I shouldn't be allowed on a bus because I am male?
    After all, if the shop owner / bus company has bought the property / bus and owns it, then they should be able to do what they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    What the OP's potential landlady is doing is illegal, end-of. It makes no difference my views (or indeed, your views) on the validity of the law.
    Yes, my opinion on its illegality makes no difference as to its illegality, quite right, and you might have noticed that I didn't argue any such thing. (But in a supposedly representative democracy, of course, our opinions on legislation may ultimately cause it to be rescinded or amended.)

My opinion, or your opinion, on the justice or otherwise of the law can, however, influence the OP in his actions, which was, of course, my aim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Right. So you think people shouldn't be allowed in a shop just because they are black? Or I shouldn't be allowed on a bus because I am male?
    No, of course *I* don't think that. But if someone owns a shop and only wants adults in it, or Asians in it, or females in it, then that should be theirs to decide. And decent people would hopefully protest with their wallets and not shop there. Then the business would really be punished. Instead of being forced to exist and then doing really well because they just have the image of being tolerant (when secretly they are really racist or sexist.)

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.