Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Landlady won't give us the house because of our gender watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh, so what if murder is illegal. Who cares?

That's ridiculous and just plain wrong.
    I meant it in the sense that it would be a pointless exercise going down that route.

Comparing it to a criminal offence.. better yet - murder :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    In light of that, how can student accommodation advertise as being 'female only' then?

If anyone else has the answer, feel free to join in!
    There are certain circumstances where gender discrimination is allowed, but I didn't think student accomodation was one of them.

ReputationRep:
    chop your dicks off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    In light of that, how can student accommodation advertise as being 'female only' then?

If anyone else has the answer, feel free to join in!
    schedule 9 exceptions.
    same reason an elderly woman can chose to only want to advertise for a female carer.

ReputationRep:
    Sex discrimination act, she can not refuse you accommodation based purely on your gender, contact citizens advise and ask them what steps you should take if you feel your being discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum828)
    That's a case of providing accommodation to girls who aren't allowed to cohabit with boys because of religious/cultural reasons, as long as the university provides similar accommodation for males it's legal.

She's discriminating against males due to her attitude towards them, rather than providing a service for females who want single-sex accommodation.
    (Original post by Steph90)
    There are certain circumstances where gender discrimination is allowed, but I didn't think student accomodation was one of them.
    (Original post by petitflam)
    schedule 9 exceptions.
    same reason an elderly woman can chose to only want to advertise for a female carer.
    Sweet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    If someone buys a property and owns it, then it should be theirs to do as they want with it. Do I support discrimination against males, Jews, black people etc? No, of course not. I'd be horrified if someone I loved was discriminated against. But you shouldn't take away someone's rights over their own property.
    Not if they buy the property specifically to rent it out. Then it's a business venture. If you choose to register your property as a letting then it passes into the business milieu.

It's exactly like a car owner, burger van man, or anyone else buying stock and then selling it to others. They own the stock, but as soon as they decide to sell it, they are required to sell it to anyone who can stump up the cash.

It's different if the landlord lives in the property because a personal asset overwrites a business one to guard personal freedoms.

It's the difference between a house and a home.

ReputationRep:
    I hope all the people defending this discriminaton was also in support of the gay couple being refused entry into the b + b.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a no go. She's not around.. Thanks for the help guys.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.