Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will probably be starting university in sheffield in september, I have a cineworld unlimited card at home and would like to keep having one. I understand that there is a cineworld in Sheffield but not in the centre. How far out is the cineworld? I've looked at maps but can't really tell. How do you get there (from the centre, or around endcliffe village), how much is it etc?
    I am aware that there are other cinemas in Sheffields centre, but I'd like to carry on with my unlimited card.

ReputationRep:
    It's not far, I think you can take the tram from west street to it. Tram stop is straight outside the cineworld, loads of food places around there too, including a nandos. If you stay on the tram you get to meadowhall.

I drive so i've never really taken the tram just so you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielharris627)
    I will probably be starting university in sheffield in september, I have a cineworld unlimited card at home and would like to keep having one. I understand that there is a cineworld in Sheffield but not in the centre. How far out is the cineworld? I've looked at maps but can't really tell. How do you get there (from the centre, or around endcliffe village), how much is it etc?
    I am aware that there are other cinemas in Sheffields centre, but I'd like to carry on with my unlimited card.
    Obviously you can drive there but its about 10mins if that by tram (catch the one to meadowhall and get off at centertainment). It's about 1.50 I think as a single fayre, so I normally buy a stagecoach bus and tram day ticket for 3.50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Obviously you can drive there but its about 10mins if that by tram (catch the one to meadowhall and get off at centertainment). It's about 1.50 I think as a single fayre, so I normally buy a stagecoach bus and tram day ticket for 3.50.
    It's closer to 20 minutes on the tram. They have the joint largest movie screen in the whole of Europe, It is MASSIVE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conorrr)
    It's closer to 20 minutes on the tram. They have the joint largest movie screen in the whole of Europe, It is MASSIVE
    It's 20 mins to Meadowhall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    It's 20 mins to Meadowhall
    It's 16 minutes from west street and 19 minutes from the University of Sheffield tram stop to Valley Centertainment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conorrr)
    It's 16 minutes from west street and 19 minutes from the University of Sheffield tram stop to Valley Centertainment
    Oh well it would be if you catch it from up there! I normally get on at the stop outside Primark

Also, pos rep for the precision xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I love the sound of this cineworld haha.
    Do many people go to it from the university in your experience? Or do most just go to the closer cinemas?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure but I think it's the biggest cinema that's fairly easy to get to... There's also a bowling place like next door, went the other day and finished with a strike... through my legs, backwards :smug:. Tends to be rather busy.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't really like cineworld in Sheffield because I find that centertainment (which is like the complex that it is in along with a bowling alley and restaurants, as mentioned) has this really horrible feeling about it, like it just feels dead and still like this created environment. Maybe it's just me, no-one else seems to say this! But there have actually been some problems with fights in centertainment I think, which is random! And I find, I would rather go to the odeon or showroom in town which may be smaller and not have to bother getting the tram out there. But! Each to there own

ReputationRep:
    You have to keep in mind you need to get to the tram stop (20 min walk from the student accommodation or a not massively frequent bus (not frequent enough that walking isn't often the same amount of time)) then get to the cineworld. I guess it's not really that long but it is quicker to get the Odeon (which is a bit crap) or the rather marvellous Showroom cinema. Then again if you're already on a bus/tram you may as well keep going if you time everything right it would be fine. You just need to time walking the hill to the bus stop from Endcliffe, transferring to a tram and then getting to the film on time.

I've been intrigued by this cineworld unlimited and I can't really see the value. If it costs me at least 3.50 to get to cinema (over nothing to walk to the other cinemas) then if I were to see a film a week it would be £14 a month to get the cinema and £15 to for the tickets. So that's £30 a month to get the basic value from it. But then if I go to an early showing, split a Wednesday ticket or just the general student discount I can see a film for £5 which means I could see 6 films vs the 4. Now if a cineworld showed a great deal of films I wanted to see a month and I could be bothered taking the 40 minute trip (probably on my own) to see over 8 films a month I guess it would be worth. But considering the Showroom has a much better output of films I wouldn't bother and Cineworld potentially doesn't have that many films a month I really want to see and some months I would have to force myself to go the cinema when I were busy to make bank. Although Showroom often shafts you with a smaller screen, which can be irritating.

Tough call dude. I'd just spend the £30 a month on cocaine and crumpets.

ReputationRep:
    (Apologies if i just repeat what someone else has said I didn't read all the comments)

The cinema is massive but it's not walking distance from Sheffield centre, probably 15-20 minute on the tram depending on the time of day, they are every 10 minutes and then later at night they are about every 20 minutes and stop about 11:30 (or maybe 12?).

Anyway, odean is quite crap I wouldn't go to that one, theres also a vue at Meadowhall but like the other guy said with the tram fares its going to cost a fair bit.. unless you get a taxi with friends. The Sheffield cineworld shows loads of films for months after they have gone off at the other local cinemas and there's a much better selection so it basically depends if you are willing to pay £3.50 tram fare each time or not; as I student I personally wouldn't).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.