Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    True. I forget how many spoonfuls of sugar are in a can of coca-cola, but it's some ludicrous amount. Don't really drink it myself, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    lucky ol me I have really sturdy teeth, no fillings and i drink loaaaddsss of the stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy Cycling)
    True. I forget how many spoonfuls of sugar are in a can of coca-cola, but it's some ludicrous amount. Don't really drink it myself, to be honest.
    It's 110g = aprox 36 lumps = 11% of sugar per litre Coke; so take out the scales and weigh!
    Orangeade such as "Fanta" has about 100g sugar/litre.
    Your teeth are not only destroyed by the sugar but the acid in the drink is not good for the teeth's enamel.
    Apart from the risks of diabetes and the gigantic amount of calories.(1g= 4Kcal)

ReputationRep:
    My teeth are stained because of a lot of penyscilin (Sp?) When I was younger. my mother has it too. Plus I have one croked tooth cause of too many teeth in my mouth when I was younger and had to have them removed apart from that they are in good condition! I'm terrified of the dentist! The local dentist is a horrible woman and should be made to leave the profession, I've been in there when she has made old ladies come out crying!!! So I try to look after my teeth as well as I can, although I drink fizzy drinks I try to limit them to 3 cans a week and Brush regularly!

ReputationRep:
    i got fluoride drops as a kid and have had decent teeth ever since. im quite fond of irn bru...(regular drinkers of that will know about the orange plaque it creates lol) and ice cream etc but i have 1 filling.

brush twice a day (well) and you'll not do too bad.

ReputationRep:
    I have always drank coke but stuck to the diet version and since coming to uni I have become dependant on red bull I drink about 10 cans a week on average. I try to get the sugar free variety but it still can't be doing me much good.

ReputationRep:
    Its not the sweetners in cause cancer. Normal code does not have as much links to cancer but its fattening and sugary. Redbull also has high amounts of cafeine in it. However I needed caffiene to survive the student life style of staying till 2:30am studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Redbull also has high amounts of cafeine in it. However I needed caffiene to survive the student life style of staying till 2:30am studying.
    :ditto:

I think I have a problem as the barman at my halls told me excessive drinking of red bull leads to diabetes and heart palpititions. After my friends and family noticed I drink far too much of the stuff I am trying to cut down and have coffee instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Get a tooth from somewhere (I don't know where, but hey lol) and tell her to leave it in a cup of coke overnight... when she sees it's practically disolved the next morning she may think twice... lol.
    nonsense, I put a tooth in a petri dish wish coke and it didn't dissolve more than 3mg. It did however turn dark brown which was sigusting

--------------

(Original post by Jenna999)
    diet coke is sugar free though? how much diet coke is too much?

it's the acids that damage your teeth. most fizzy drinks have citic, phosphoric or ascorbic acid in them which mucks up your teeth.

--------------

I have quite a few fillings as I have my litre of irnbru a day or cola on occassion but things like orange juice are still acideic and can damage teeth! Like AT82 I have to go for an Xray in Febryary before I head to uni so my dentist can do any work beforehand. I complained that Ive never been able to bite into icecream or such and it led to an XRay!

Hope my info helped.

Daibhidh

ReputationRep:
    Right, this thread is terrifying.

My dentist always used to praise my teeth so I kept eating sweets, but then randomly I needed two fillings. So I stopped taking sugar in my tea but started drinking more diet coke. No more diet coke.

Argh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.