Turn on thread page Beta

Should you always tell someone you like them even if... watch

you're basically 100% sure they don't like you back? Should you just do it for closure's sake and then move on? Or just move on straightaway and cut contact without saying anything? I'm having a bad case of unrequited love here (the other person doesn't know..i don't think so anyway)

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I would tell them personally... Imo, life is too short for regrets and if you tell them you wont wonder 'what if?' for the rest of your life!

ReputationRep:
    Um. I wouldn't necessarily tell them "I like you". I'd feel about 12, but I'd make it pretty obvious, and then if they're not reciprocating, leave it. Don't want to end up looking a mug.

ReputationRep:
    As above.

But you may need closure just to ensure that you don't hang on.

Plus you could be surprised.. You never know (here's hoping!)

ReputationRep:
    how do you know they don't like you back?

ReputationRep:
    why would you tell if you know they actually dont?

(Original post by hanaalou)
    how do you know they don't like you back?
    Because he calls me his little sister

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

What would you do?
    ohhhh. well yeah that probably means he sees you as a friend :/ just try a little bit of flirting and touchyfeely but don't dive straight in and be all over him because you don't want to ruin the friendship

(Original post by hanaalou)
    ohhhh. well yeah that probably means he sees you as a friend :/ just try a little bit of flirting and touchyfeely but don't dive straight in and be all over him because you don't want to ruin the friendship
    Well we've been friends for years now, it's kinda past that stage where I would even try those things lol. But thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Persoanlly, I don't tell a guy if I like him.

I've liked two guys quite seriously before. I've told neither of them how I feel. I still like one of them and have done for well over a year. I'm not planning on ever telling him.

ReputationRep:
    Well we've been friends for years now, it's kinda past that stage where I would even try those things lol. But thanks for your advice.
    ohhh. if you like really like him just own up!what's the worst that could happen
    and if it's awkward you could always pretend you were drunk

ReputationRep:
    I've gone through this, and to this day still wish I'd told him.

you're basically 100% sure they don't like you back? Should you just do it for closure's sake and then move on? Or just move on straightaway and cut contact without saying anything? I'm having a bad case of unrequited love here (the other person doesn't know..i don't think so anyway)

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. I don't know what to do.
    In my experience, and theoretically speaking, yes.

Because how would you know? What if you were wrong?

Only way to find out if you're right: ask.

OP: add a poll.

(Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Um. I wouldn't necessarily tell them "I like you". I'd feel about 12, but I'd make it pretty obvious, and then if they're not reciprocating, leave it. Don't want to end up looking a mug.
    Really depends.

Many guys reject girls, only to marry them later! :lolwut:

But, chances are is to leave it - but you still never know.

There are numerous reasons as to why he said "no" the first time around even though he's still desperate to be with you.

ReputationRep:
    'Closure', as a word/concept, is irritatingly pervasive enough without it being further abused like this..

..If you're 100% sure someone doesn't like you then this is a non-issue, they miss out, you move onto the next Juan. Simples :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I used to get my friends to slip a 'discreet' word to them about it, and then i'd be sure if they definitely didn't like me, or if there was a possibility of something. If it was a definite no, then i'd stay away, if there was a possibility i would probably say something to them.
    or do it drunk. always a good option

(Original post by QI Elf)

I've liked two guys quite seriously before. I've told neither of them how I feel. I still like one of them and have done for well over a year. I'm not planning on ever telling him.
    And what if in his mind he likes you?

You know what, it is seriously your loss.

(Original post by QI Elf)

Why not? Is it fear of losing friendship? Because I really fear that. I feel like the only way for me to move on is if I stop being friends with him...but that thought is actually killing me inside. KILLING ME. That's why I don't know what I should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Really depends.

Many guys reject girls, only to marry them later! :lolwut:

But, chances are is to leave it - but you still never know.

There are numerous reasons as to why he said "no" the first time around even though he's still desperate to be with you.
    Proof or it never happened.

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    It may be just an epithet. Men are generally more open to turning friendships into relationships; given no other options, they see it as nothing more than value-addition.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.