Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should you always tell someone you like them even if... Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I liked someone and knew they didn't like me for sure I wouldn't tell them, I'd probably stop liking them if I knew they didn't like me and find someone else.

(Original post by im so academic)
    In my experience, and theoretically speaking, yes.

Because how would you know? What if you were wrong?

Only way to find out if you're right: ask.

OP: add a poll.
    How do I add a poll?

(Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Proof or it never happened.
    It does happen, but not everyone records their lives on the internet. What am I supposed to do?

Just because I can't give you a link, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What a close-minded view. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    tell him no matter what, you may feel silly doing it and get rejected but think how happy you would be if he likes you, find out now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    If I liked someone and knew they didn't like me for sure I wouldn't tell them, I'd probably stop liking them if I knew they didn't like me and find someone else.
    This. Op, move on. :sadnod:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    How do I add a poll?
    Click on thread tools on the left hand side of the thread. It's an orange button, you'll see.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell him. If he doesn't reciprocate at least it's somewhat flattering to be told by your best girl mate that you're found attractive?
    If he does, you've got yourself a new... Boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    It does happen, but not everyone records their lives on the internet. What am I supposed to do?

Just because I can't give you a link, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What a close-minded view. :hmmm:
    1. I was joking.
    2. Then how do you know of these multiple-rejected peoples that end up married through pure persistence?
    3. I still refuse to believe there is a significant number of people that end up being wed to someone they have been rejected by/have rejected.

(Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    1. I was joking.
    2. Then how do you know of these multiple-rejected peoples that end up married through pure persistence?
    3. I still refuse to believe there is a significant number of people that end up being wed to someone they have been rejected by/have rejected.
    Because it does happen; although rare.

Click on thread tools on the left hand side of the thread. It's an orange button, you'll see.
    I don't think I can make one cos I'm anon

ReputationRep:
    I didn't tell him, when I was in your situation until after I'd gotten well over him. I pretty much just took a break from spending time with him, barely saw him over the holidays, went to a different country, met new people - that kind of thing.

In your case, though, he might like you, you never know. Just because you think he doesn't, doesn't necessarily mean he has no feelings for you. I found it painful to keep the secret, so I'd advise you to go for it, tell him how you feel and see what happens. If you are that good friends, you can always explain everything to him and work it out between you where to go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Closure is the best thing you can get, that way your brain can't niggle you about it.

Even if you get rejected you get a certain sense of satisfaction, knowing that you were brave enough to actually do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd mention it, just to be sure, no point always wondering about it as other people have said!

I am in the same situation.

(refering to above) However, she MIGHT like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    you're basically 100% sure they don't like you back? Should you just do it for closure's sake and then move on? Or just move on straightaway and cut contact without saying anything? I'm having a bad case of unrequited love here (the other person doesn't know..i don't think so anyway)

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. I don't know what to do.
    Yes! Tell them for closure's sake, otherwise even when your 60 you'l still have that ''What if...?'' question at the back of your mind.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to hear that a girl likes you even if you don't like her back. It's flattering. (But then again he might take advantage of your feelings and make you be his slave.)

ReputationRep:
    Try it. He might feel the same way and you'll never know and then it might one day be too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    And 'closure' is such an overused term these days. You need closure at the end of a relationship, and that closure comes from becoming confident enough in yourself that you don't need him. You don't need closure just because you've got a crush and he doesn't reciprocate, you just need to get over yourself.
    Just to point out, 'get over yourself' is also a rather overused term. She doesn't need to get over herself just because she has a crush on someone. It's not as if she has a massive ego and is complaining that the guy should reciprocate because 'who is he to not like her?'. She needs to accept it and move on, two entirely different things.

By the sounds of it OP, you're not sure whether this guy likes you or not. If you can muster the courage, then tell him. If you're good friends, it shouldn't ruin your current friendship with him, and he will probably be flattered, even if he doesn't reciprocate. At least then you know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I once pretended to be drunk just to tell someone that I liked him.

You could try doing that. If he rejects you, then it's not gonna be an issue because you could always pretend that you don't remember doing anything absurd. If he fancies you back, then don't worry, he'll come to you.

And don't be put off even if he is calling you little sister.

Two of my exes used to call me that way, before they grew the balls to ask me out on a date. :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.