Turn on thread page Beta

Taking 2 gap years & apply for dentistry- Glasgow & Dundee watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to take this opportunity to ask advice from dental students.

I took a gap year, and applied to medicine. During my gap year I became interested towards dentistry as I believe it suits me better in many ways.

However as my work experience was mostly medical orientated, I couldn't apply to dentistry.

Now, that I only have an unconditional to study pharmacy, I want to really pursue a career in dentistry.

My question is - will Uni's look negatively upon me taking a gap year - applying for medicine and then taking another gap year to study dentistry ? ?

Also, with me being out of education for 2 years have an affect on my application - will dental schools look negatively on that ?

On my 2nd gap year , I am planing to do work experience in the dental field, and also abroad ( where I will also do charity work ! ).

Can anyone advice me on what type of course would be useful to show evidence of manual dexterity ( I played the piano and achieved an A in music Int 2 ).

Has anyone taken 2 gap years and received an offer to study dentistry.

I know dentistry is as competitive , if not more , than medicine ! I am prepared to take another gap year, really work hard , give it my best shot. I know I have the required grades for Uni'c ( as I had phoned them up !), I know I have to really work hard towards my UKCAT ( Glasgow cut -off was 665 this year ! . I received a score of 642.5 for medicine. I am sure I will improve this upon next year .

If you could please advice , I will be very grateful !

Thank You..

ReputationRep:
    damn i posted a near identical thread (except i havent taken a gap year yet)

i think unless you apply to a Uni you already applied to (eg kings for medicine then kings for dentistry the nexxt year) they wont know what you applied for previously. could be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miscbrah)
    damn i posted a near identical thread (except i havent taken a gap year yet)

i think unless you apply to a Uni you already applied to (eg kings for medicine then kings for dentistry the nexxt year) they wont know what you applied for previously. could be wrong though
    this is true but OP could just point that they initially didnt consuder dentistry but after looking into it, they are more suited to dentistry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henrick-Wolfgang)
    this is true but OP could just point that they initially didnt consuder dentistry but after looking into it, they are more suited to dentistry!
    Thanks for your reply ... That is true of my case ... However would they not think about it as someone who failed medicine therefore applying for dentistry. Having researched both field, with the the limited spaces available, would they not consider a person who has always had an interest towards dentistry as opposed to a person who, having had researched both careers, decided that actually during his gap year, dentistry will suit him better ??

This is the only thing holding me back from applying as I know I will get the relevant work experience, I Know I have researched the field to some extent - I know how the system works ... In scotland & in England ( UDA's) ... I know I can show some form of Manual dexterity ( having done music at INT 2 A ) .. And I know I need to study/ practice really , really hard for the UKCAT ...

Do you think I could stand a chance ?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.