Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going to Thailand (2girls) for 5 weeks July to August 2011
    Anyone going at the same time?
    Anyone already been and could reccommend some good places to go? Or where to avoid?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are plenty of threads about thailand if you do a quick search. The islands are definitely the place to be though, all very beautiful with varying degrees of western party-ness and all that brings with it. Chiang mai is good for a less touristy break with elephant rides.

ReputationRep:
    Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, the former probably my favourate place in Thailand. You can stay on the river in Ayutthaya, it's absolutely idyllic, then you have the fantastic historical ruins inside. I loved staying in Kanchanaburi too, you sleep in little huts on the water. Phetchaburi was pretty nice too, bit of a pain to get to though (you can stop off there on your way from Bangkok to south Thailand).

Spoiler:
    Show

[credit http://www.flickr.com/photos/nobythai/]

If you only go to one of these places make it Ayutthaya, it's only 1 hour from Bangkok (I recommend you stay the night there though, and hire a bike).

ReputationRep:
    Chiang Mai and Pai (small hippy town, very chilled) are definitely worth a visit. Sukhothai is also great for ruins and is a nice small town as well.

Be careful of scams (I'm gonna say this to everyone going to Thailand on TSR after my experiences) and whilst that means overcharging tuktuk drivers (arrange prices before getting in) it also means don't trust TAT offices with fake government licences or other 'tourists' (of all nationalities) who seem overly enthusiastic to recommend a certain bar or jewelry store.

With Bangkok although it's incredibly touristy Khao San Road is probably the best place to stay, or at least near it. First time I went we were near the business district miles away from the tourist areas and it was full of poverty and a bit grim, second time at Khao San it was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    If you are flying to Bangkok definitely stay at the Khao San Road. My advice would be to stay in Bangkok on your way home, that way you'll have adjusted to the thai ways.

Head south, Krabi, PhiPhi etc Getting the train down south is good fun.

Avoid Pattaya & Patong (although I had one night in patong which was an experience!)

ReputationRep:
    I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above, but also Ko Samet was lovely and Chiang Mai and Rai - plus it's really easy to get across to Myanmar for like a day or continue your travels. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd say it's better to stay 2 minutes north of Khaosan Rd, in the square surrounding Wat Chana Songkhram. It's just 2 minutes walk from Khaosan & way way quieter, ie here (not specifically that hostel)

ReputationRep:
    Bangkok: Don't stay on the KSR, Th Tani just two streets up has a nice hostel called NapPark. Right opposite the hostel is a cut through to Th Rambutri and the KSR.

Ayuthaya: Deffo worth a look in, just a couple of days wondering around the ruined temples. Stopping here breaks up the mammoth train journey to Chiang Mai in the North.

Chiang Mai: My favourite city. The Wat on top of the hill is a good trip to do. 3 of us sharing an "extended" tuk tuk (can't remember the exact name) paid 80 Baht each to be taken up there and also brought back. Hire a bike and ride around the moat. Go to the night market, quite touristy but the sheer size of it is awesome. Also make sure you visit Roots Reggae Bar if you fancy a night out. It's amazing.

Koh Tao: If you fancy learning to dive, Koh Tao is the place to do it. Good night life too.

Since you have 5 weeks and the free visas are for 30 days only, you should consider going into Laos. Luang Prabang is very chilled out, visit the caves and waterfalls. Of course if you go to Laos you should probs consider doing some tubing in Vang Vieng.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Am planning to go to thailand in late july/ maybe august with my boyfriend for 2 weeks.

We want to spend probs 3 days max climbing (he's looking into places to go for that) but I'm wondering whether you can tell me a few things...

1. What airlines have you flown with at what price? I may be using airmiles...
    2. What are the best places to visit? or any places we really should visit, maybe a top 5? I've got chang mai, krabi, ko phi phi, ko tao, kanchanuri from reading this thread already
    3. Any dos/donts?
    4. we were going to just stay at diff hotels every night, as a friend did this last year and said it was relatively cheap.
    5. How is the weather in august, is it really humid?

Many Thanks, can't wait to go sounds amazing from reading people's posts! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Personally I'd say it's better to stay 2 minutes north of Khaosan Rd, in the square surrounding Wat Chana Songkhram. It's just 2 minutes walk from Khaosan & way way quieter, ie here (not specifically that hostel)
    I normally stay just across the klong about 5 mins walk north of there, off Samsen Soi 2.

Did you ever go to May Kaidee's Veggie restaurant? It's just over the bridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjumper)
    Hey guys

Am planning to go to thailand in late july/ maybe august with my boyfriend for 2 weeks.

We want to spend probs 3 days max climbing (he's looking into places to go for that) but I'm wondering whether you can tell me a few things...

1. What airlines have you flown with at what price? I may be using airmiles...
    2. What are the best places to visit? or any places we really should visit, maybe a top 5? I've got chang mai, krabi, ko phi phi, ko tao, kanchanuri from reading this thread already
    3. Any dos/donts?
    4. we were going to just stay at diff hotels every night, as a friend did this last year and said it was relatively cheap.
    5. How is the weather in august, is it really humid?

Many Thanks, can't wait to go sounds amazing from reading people's posts! X
    Climbing? There's a bit down in Ao Nang / Krabi that I've seen, Ton Sai beach and Raileh. Not done it there myself.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random one, but when I was in Thailand with some friends, we did a day trip which went to:

Kanchanaburi
    Bridge Over The River Kwai
    Saoyoknoi Waterfall
    Elephant rides (somewhere near Saoyoknoi, can't remember exact place name)
    Tiger Temple
    River Rafting, though I'm not quite sure exactly where this was. Quite a long bus journey from all the other places though.

I imagine there's info on most of these places on the internet, if any take your interest or you want to spend a bit longer there.

Also, if you are going to Bangkok, I would suggest staying on Soi Rambuttri, just to throw another name in the mix. There are quite a few cheap hostels/hotels as well as restaurants, although most are quite basic! Its quite touristy, but not as much as Khaosan Road, and not quite as noisy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjumper)
    You want to go to Railay as it has the best climbing, but read this, then read it again. Don't forget this when you're out there because otherwise you could end up dead (literally).

(Original post by Jez RR)
    I normally stay just across the klong about 5 mins walk north of there, off Samsen Soi 2.

Did you ever go to May Kaidee's Veggie restaurant? It's just over the bridge.
    Not that I recall but then it's been a few years. Most of my time in Bangkok I stayed with family just outside the city.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ewan, thats defo something to keep in mind...we will be thinking very very carefully now.

THANK YOU very much for the two other people who have posted, will definately add these to my lists now

So far sta have offered me 550 for flights return per person but BA have offered 400 both people plus airmiles...but they are having strikes throughout the summer...hmmmm

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll get much better than £400 rtn, that's a pretty damn good price, especially with an airline like BA.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.