Turn on thread page Beta

Teachers over the age of 40 should be forced to retire watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I am doing a debate next week and am OPPOSING the above motion so do NOT agree that teachers should retire at 40. Besides ageism etc, can you think of any points to support my argument? Need some help as it is meant to last 6 minutes! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Most of my teachers were over 40. They were also the strictest and scariest ones and the most knowledgeable because they had years more experience in their subject than the younger teachers and they weren't afraid to assert their authority.

What would retired teachers at 40 do with their life anyway?

ReputationRep:
    It would be ageist and mean losing the most experienced teachers, as well as being contrary to recent court cases regarding forced retirement. It would also be a very strong disincentive to people entering the profession. Who wants a career that ends in only twenty years with no sensible provision for retirement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_bishop1)
    Hi all. I am doing a debate next week and am OPPOSING the above motion so do NOT agree that teachers should retire at 40. Besides ageism etc, can you think of any points to support my argument? Need some help as it is meant to last 6 minutes! Thanks
    well there is the fact that they will have more experiance in teaching and life

more knowledgeable about their subjects?

ReputationRep:
    More likely to have experience?

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what the proposition points would be? It's such a stupid idea their points should be pretty easy to refute and debunk.
    Ideas:
    "Older teachers are out of touch with the youth"
    Teachers are to teach, not to be friends
    "Older teachers are uncomfortable with IT"
    They're not stupid and can be taught how to use computers.

Can't think of any other pro-points actually, it's a dreadful idea.

ReputationRep:
    my teachers who are over 40 are some of the best teachers, and they have more experience with teaching. Also if they were forced to retire it would mean the government would have to pay more in pensions and lead to a shortage of teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my older teaches are definitely the best! They have experience, they can handle situations well, they've seen it all before basically. Like with predicting grades, they know what they are doing, they've seen people just like me going through before. My economics teacher who is in her 50's had me down to a T, while other teachers just saw my grades, she realised that i wasn't achieving what i could have, and in the end she saved my grades.
    They have knowledge and so much experience, and they have the ability to control a class well.
    Not to mention the shortage of teachers there would be without the over 40's teaching, leading to poor standards of teachers coming into the system.

ReputationRep:
    I have found that teachers are usually at their peak when they are 40+.
    It would be dumb for them to be forced to retire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_bishop1)
    The problem with this lies in the question itself, because it doesn't recognise what is actually going on in schools.
    Teachers over the age of 40 are already being forced to "retire", although without a pension.
    Normally, when you speak of retirement, a pension is given.
    However, teachers over 40 are being "retired" without one, and find they can't get another job because far cheaper alternatives are being used, such as classroom assistants and cover supervisors, often on minimum wage, and being left with classes for extended periods. The experience / knowledge others mention counts for nothing in modern Britain and all that matters is managing with less money and giving the superficial appearance that things are OK.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone gets into teaching in their 20s. My mum went to uni and trained in primary teaching when she was 40. What then for her?

ReputationRep:
    40 isn't even old!! Loads of my teachers were clearly older than that and not out of touch at all :erm: If you're going to debate about this, at least make the age 50 or something (still not even that old but better than 40!)...

ReputationRep:
    No one would go into teaching if they knew they would have to find a new profession once they were 40.

ReputationRep:
    What happens in schools is that experienced teachers are more expensive ie their pay is higher because they are higher up the pay scale.
    Heads then give them a few low lesson observation grades, threaten them with capability procedures and the teachers go off sick with stress and eventually leave, to be replaced by NQT's ( or much cheaper totally unqualified alternatives=literally people who no experience at all and no subject knowledge at all )who quite often don't have a clue what it's like to work in a "challenging" school with widespread bad behaviour and no support from the head.
    So the "retired" teachers have to go on the dole and their knowledge/experience goes down the drain-and that's to help pay off a deficit they didn't cause.
    The same thing is happening in hospitals;there are lots of persons in nurse looking uniforms who aren't nurses and just know how to do mundane tasks like giving out meals while the qualified nurses are run off their feet trying to make sure noone dies while being held totally responsible for the unqualified care assistants' mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say over 40s, but there are loads of older teachers sitting in positions which stop newly qualified teachers getting jobs. But to sort this, age is not the issue. Get rid of the useless teachers, of whom there are plenty (we all know of a few), rather than the older ones. One issue though, is that lots of older teachers also retire, then come back and teach as supply teachers so the NQTs can't even get decent supply work.
    A point you could use is that a lot of the best teachers are the ones who've had some life experience BEFORE becoming teachers, having done another job. It gives them something to actually speak with pupils about, and link learning into real life, rather than your typical young teacher who has left school, gone straight to uni, done teacher training and hey presto is in front of the class. Getting rid of over 40s would make transferring to teaching less viable, and subsequently end up losing a lot of the best teachers.

On the plus side, and don't be surprised if the proponents come out with this, it'll save money. This is debatable though, depends on the cost of the pensions and salary of their (cheaper) replacements.

ReputationRep:
    A lack of 'cougars' would teach the younger generation 'right' from 'wrong' :sexface:.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as the best teachers I had at school were over 40, no.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as the opposition make their case just start a siren and shout retard alert

ReputationRep:
    Well, why on earth WOULD you force teachers to retire at 40? Aside from all the above stuff about experience, it just seems a totally arbitrary cut off. Why would teachers be any different from the rest of society? Why 40? etc. Perhaps there is good reason to have great performance assessment for late-career teachers, but that proposal is bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bloody awful, the people you are arguing have got a really tough job.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.