Turn on thread page Beta

Teachers over the age of 40 should be forced to retire watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with this at all. I found the best teachers i've had were the older ones, not to mention my college tutors were all 50+ and the oldest one who just retired was the best.
    It's our education on the line. I'd rather have some oldboy/woman who has been teaching for 20 odd years than some newbie fresh out of University teaching me.

ReputationRep:
    All my teachers over 40 were really strict....

And TBH strict doesn't work now days, we need fun but disciplined lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Why should teachers over the age of 40 be forced to retire when this isn't happening with any other profession? You could also mention that the age for retirement is increasing, not decreasing. (Back this up with statistics.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al45ta1r)
    Get rid of the useless teachers, of whom there are plenty (we all know of a few), rather than the older ones. One issue though, is that lots of older teachers also retire, then come back and teach as supply teachers so the NQTs can't even get decent supply work.
    A point you could use is that a lot of the best teachers are the ones who've had some life experience BEFORE becoming teachers, having done another job. It gives them something to actually speak with pupils about, and link learning into real life, rather than your typical young teacher who has left school, gone straight to uni, done teacher training and hey presto is in front of the class. Getting rid of over 40s would make transferring to teaching less viable, and subsequently end up losing a lot of the best teachers.

On the plus side, and don't be surprised if the proponents come out with this, it'll save money. This is debatable though, depends on the cost of the pensions and salary of their (cheaper) replacements.
    There's been a lot in the press about incompetent teachers in the UK.Why do you think there's no such problem in the press in any other European countries?
    Germany? Sweden?France?Norway? Could it be that it's a political issue?
    And if there are so many incompetent teachers how come they passed their teacher training postgraduate courses, which involve a lot of teaching practice and they are observed teaching many many times?How come they all passed their probationary years in schools with all the inspections and observations that involves?Why aren't the people who examined them and passed them as competent or even good ever held to account?
    When is the last time you read about incompetent teachers in Ireland? Holland?
    The cost of their pensions?Don't you read the papers?Teachers and all public sector pensions have just been massively CUT and more cuts are on the way.
    New teachers can't retire with a pension until 65 now , soon to rise up to 68 and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    My tutor is about 60, and I think she's awesome. She's well strict, which makes me think that she would have quite happily given a few of us the cane 'back in the day'! Having an older teacher kinda makes me feel connected to the teaching ways of the past. Also, I've heard people say that life begins at 40 - so why sack someone in their prime?! (Providing they are actually good at their job) I can't understand why anyone would be 'for' this arguement tbh.
    x

ReputationRep:
    My older teachers were always the best. Not just because they knew the stuff they were teaching incredibly well, but because they had a lot more life experience in general, stories to tell, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's sooo many young and fresh faced teachers to take their place. It's the most popular profession, don't you know ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    It's a bloody awful, the people you are arguing have got a really tough job.
    Mhmm. I fear for the oppositions' Speaking and Listening grade.

ReputationRep:
    they have more experience and know how well the exam system goes
    more knowledgeable as they're more likely to read up on their subject
    what about if there is a lack of teachers under 40?

i.e i need my maths and economics teachers as they're all above 40. it would create a shortage of staff and make the school have a bad rep

ReputationRep:
    Economy would be screwed - would result in millions more unemployed and the country would collapse into debt.

Pretty easy motion to oppose.

ReputationRep:
    Older teachers are generally more experienced.

This experience leads to having better control of a classes behaviour which then leads to a better learning experience. A lot of young teachers have no idea how to control a class and are just jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Age is absolutely no indication of ability, and if anything it brings life experience that students tend to warm to. My best teacher at the moment is 65.

ReputationRep:
    The opposite would actually make more sense. Make it so 40 is the minimum age for being a teacher. That way all teachers have had around 20 years experience in a profession.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers who have been teaching longer tend to be better. My favourite teachers are 40+. Basically, it is a bonkers proposal and your opponents have a very tough time.

ReputationRep:
    It would be ridiculous. They have more experience with a variety of people, and a lot of them would have adopted different teaching methods to suit different types of students. All my best teachers are the older ones!

ReputationRep:
    Lol. What a ridiculous debating topic. Who came up with it?

Unless you're the worst debater on the planet, you could probably win it in your sleep.

ReputationRep:
    More experience and usually better at keeping the class under control/getting everyone to actually do work.
    Some younger teachers chat too much. Whilst chatting is always nice, some of the younger ones do it a little too much and you don't getas much work done as you otherwise would.

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly older teachers aren't exactly "with" the younger generation ie: they are not experienced with younger people, however they've been doing this for a while and also my English teacher was around 50+ and was pretty much "with it" at secondary school. At college, most of my teachers are under 40 - the one's I don't like are around 35 and 50ish, but that's got nothing to do with age, considering my personal tutor is around 45 or so(more to do with the fact that they simply can't teach)

ReputationRep:
    This should be a bloody simple motion to win. When I was on the debating team, we debated the legalisation of all drugs. I was captain - we won! Not strictly relevant, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Expensive - they'd likely need paying off, may require state pension or benefits.

For subjects where recruiting teachers is difficult, such as the sciences, it may be difficult to replace them.

There may be a teacher shortage as if people know their career ends at 40 they wont waste time/money training.

Don't get drawn onto arguing about younger teachers being "able to connect" with pupils. Beware of such a subjective description. Age and teaching quality are independent - a good young teacher will make a good older teacher, as to a large extent its the person not the experience that makes the difference.Don't use any anecdotal evidence, and if you can avoid this line of arguement altogether then do as you'll likely slip up and contradict yourself somewhere.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.