Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Teachers over the age of 40 should be forced to retire watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My best teacher is really old. Age is irrelevant to how good a teacher is.

ReputationRep:
    There's only one reason the powers that be would want to enforce a maximum age for teaching - COST!!!

For the price of a 50+ aged experienced teacher (who will have climbed the ranks) you can get 2 graduates, straight from uni/college who will soon realise that the majority of the idealistic crap they are taught at uni is not applicable.

A major UK university was awarded multi-millions for modernisation last year. THey chose to spend the money on offering voluntary redundancy to all lecturers who were aged 55+. Replaced with graduates with NO teaching experience or qualifications, at the lowest of the low grades.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just me but if I do not have a good rapport with a younger teacher, I do not respect them. Then again, I am 18 and I have an older brother around that sort of age.

For younger students it is different.

ReputationRep:
    The older teachers I have seem to be much more passionate about their subject and make it seem a lot more interesting than the younger ones who are more worried about how they are teaching rather than what they are teaching, in my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdywuk)
    There's only one reason the powers that be would want to enforce a maximum age for teaching - COST!!!

For the price of a 50+ aged experienced teacher (who will have climbed the ranks) you can get 2 graduates, straight from uni/college who will soon realise that the majority of the idealistic crap they are taught at uni is not applicable.

A major UK university was awarded multi-millions for modernisation last year. THey chose to spend the money on offering voluntary redundancy to all lecturers who were aged 55+. Replaced with graduates with NO teaching experience or qualifications, at the lowest of the low grades.

That sounds awful. I expect the teaching really suffered and standards of degrees dropped.

ReputationRep:
    My head teacher in school was quality. He must have been later 50's, early 60's and he was such a laugh. When we got sent to him by younger teachers trying to force their authority over petty things he'd just say to us 'boys will be boys' and let us go! He used to watch us play football and rugby and he used to give us tips on rugby as he used to play when he was younger at semi professional level. It resulted in our school winning the school league four years in a row because of the time he put in to help us achieve things. Fair play to him, what a lad!

I think anyone with common sense agrees this proposal is a joke. Age does not determine ability, neither does it mean you are out of touch with the younger age groups. I had younger teachers who tried so hard to be a teenager and it ended up in them just getting the mickey taking out of them. No teenager wants an adult trying to be something they're not to get people to like them, they want someone who understands them regardless of age and who can support them through their education. As far as im concerned, I'd rather someone who has been teaching a subject for longer than someone new to the profession. No offense to teachers just starting off but I think all new teachers should sit in on lessons more often before actually going on to teach a class by themselves.

Seriously, I've been in IT lessons that are taught by young teachers and I knew more than them myself already through self teaching and I have had to correct them a few times. It seems to me like older teachers have put more time in self learning whereas younger teachers are far more likely to just want to get paid and go on the razz! I actually had one 24 year old teacher tell me at the beginning of the year 'if you turn up then you turn up, if you dont then I dont give two hoots because I still get paid at the end of the week and im happy. The only person who's going to affected by you not turning up to lessons is yourself. im not going to pretend I care' which basically shows he didn't give a ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_bishop1)
    Hi all. I am doing a debate next week and am OPPOSING the above motion so do NOT agree that teachers should retire at 40. Besides ageism etc, can you think of any points to support my argument? Need some help as it is meant to last 6 minutes! Thanks
    -Life experience is highly beneficial in teaching kids about more than just the syllabus.
    -Expensive to retrain them to do something else.
    -Not many people would go into teaching knowing they would have to retire 25 years before almost any other career.
    -A good 'older' teacher can prove to kids who don't come into contact with many older people, that the older generation are not all stuffy moaners.

ReputationRep:
    If you look beyond all the reasons to oppose this motion on a personal level, ageism for example, teachers retiring at 40 would also have a negative impact on the economy in Britain in the long term. Obviously at the moment there is a distinct lack of teachers in some areas such as maths and science, so to make teachers redundant at 40 would be extremely detremental to the education system as it would mean a sub-standard maths and science education for many, particuarly within state schools.

10 years or so down the line, it would mean that the people of Great Britain are intellectually inferior (in regards to the effected subjects) in comparrison to other countries. This would result in many other countries over taking Great Britian in fields such as engineering, manufacturing, finance etc.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my best A level teachers at over 40. Learn more from their lessons than from any younger teacher who still writes learning objectives. Wtf.

ReputationRep:
    - Young teachers talk too much as some think it's cool and want to be friends with the students

- Young teachers (esp. female teachers) will get pregnant, go on maternity leave and not leave any work behind. And we'll get a rubbish supply teacher instead

- Young teachers have less experience with teaching and so will not be able to enforce discipline effectively, not mark work quickly and will lack knowledge on teaching skills

- Older teachers will have seen more mistakes in students during their time teaching and so will be more helpful to students.

- Older teachers show more passion as they've been in the career for longer and have stayed in it.

- Older teachers simply have more entertaining stories and very helpful advice, unlike the younger teachers who can't advise you because they haven't lived much of their life yet.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would be focusing on why 40, a figure that would appear to have been plucked at random from thin air, is the appropriate age for teachers to retire. What magically changes on a 40th birthday that suddenly affects teaching quality? The answer is nothing, so you have a very easy case to argue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    Any idea what the proposition points would be? It's such a stupid idea their points should be pretty easy to refute and debunk.
    Ideas:
    "Older teachers are out of touch with the youth"
    There is a fair chance that many teachers over 40 will have children of their own and will in fact have a far better understanding of "the youth"
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    "Older teachers are uncomfortable with IT"
    Many teachers over 40 were there at "the beginning" so to speak and will have a wide variety of knowledge on the "Personal computer" evolution. Many of the teachers I know would run rings around "the youth" in terms of tech know how....

ReputationRep:
    Older teacher's will have more experience in terms of teaching students, experience is a key factor upon helping a student(s) with their education. In my opinion, teacher's who are over 40 will know what is best for a student, seeing as they have been through the same procedure over a great sum of years.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a really old teacher, I'm really quite touched by your support. Thanks, kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    - Young teachers (esp. female teachers) will get pregnant, go on maternity leave and not leave any work behind. And we'll get a rubbish supply teacher instead
    Yeah, as if working with you little brats isn't at all offputting.

I'm so sick of the assumption all women want kids. You should watch your words, it's stupid and stereotypical.

ReputationRep:
    - It will discourage people entering the profession as they'll know they'll just have to retire in under 20 years which would mean a reduction of teachers, which in turn leads to schools being closed down/merged due to lack of teachers, which leads to a messed up education system
    - If teaching has a cut-off point so low, then for equality's sake, every profession will have to have one, which is just absurd
    - Unless they are provided with one hell of a pension starting from age 40, you can't just force people out of a job because they are deemed 'too old'; even so, these pensions would cost the government, and therefore the taxpayer, an awful lot of money
    - The older you are, the more experience you have (generally) and these teachers have (hopefully) got to the stage where they know what teaching methods work as opposed to the young, new ones who come in with fresh yet insubstantial ideas. You need a balance
    - They are usually better at remaining professional when they are older and know how to act appropriately if/when a student comes to them with any concerns

There's probably more but there you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

I'm so sick of the assumption all women want kids. You should watch your words, it's stupid and stereotypical.
    Chill out, they're only making a suggestion to help the OP.

Besides I think it stands to reason that younger women are more likely to be off on maternity leave than older women so relatively speaking it's a fair point

If you disagree, fine, but there's absolutely no need to jump in with an ad hominem argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

Gee, I didn't mean it like that. It's just sometimes a disadvantage of having a younger teacher. I didn't assume all women want kids. It's just when teachers do have a baby, they go on maternity/paternity leave. Also, older women (aged around 45+) don't tend to get pregnant. It's called an argument and I'm so sorry if I offended you.

ReputationRep:
    All of my best teachers were over 40
    Experienced, wise, smart, talented, motivational

ReputationRep:
    A quality teacher with a broad education (p.h.d, uni lecturing ect) will only enter 12-18 teaching at around 31 32 - therefore the best teachers will have only had 8 years - with obviously won't get their moneys worth.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.