Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Libya No Fly Zone- I can no longer support the "savings". watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well seeing as it would be illegal and more importantly there is no stomach for a ground invasion I doubt it will happen.
    Yeah, because the legality of the Iraq war was [B]so[B] unquestionable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Doesn't matter. Firstly, there's no guarantee we won't invade Libya. And secondly, we are not the international police. Why shouldn't China do it? I can't say I agree with anyone interfering, but they're the ones with the booming economy
    If you haven't noticed China's Human Rights laws are not exactly at the forefront and it would be rather hipocritical of a communist state to try and help oust a dictator.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tufc)
    Yeah, because the legality of the Iraq war was [B]so[B] unquestionable...
    Well done for missing the key point. No one wants to see a ground invasion. Not Britain not the US and not France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Nice of you to ignore my other points. You want me to look through the eyes of an ordinary Libyan. I tell you what I see.

I see that for decades there has been support for Gadaffi. Weapons were provided to Gadaffi. From the very people who are now so concerned with my well-being.
    Do I want help from them? NO!

I look at their so called moral view. I wonder why my brothers and sisters in Yemen and Bahrain are suffering for carrying out the same acts of protest as me. Perhaps like Gadaiffi, their leaders enjoy that support and still are. Gadaffi on the other hand is condemned. They tell me they offered support to Gadaffi for peace.
    What peace? Tell that to my family and friends who have been hurt by this tyrant. That isn't peace.

Are they really concerned? I look to Iraq (which before invasion had a no-fly zone implemented). I see a slippery slope towards boots on the ground on this soil.

I look at the soil, and I look at the tv, I look Gadaffi boasting that underneath this soil, oil is present. Perhaps this is the reason? Hence my suspicion.
    There has been support for Gaddafi and arms sales, this is wrong. It is time to rectify the mistakes and protect the Libyan people from the mistakes we have made. If we had not sold these weapons Gaddafi would not be as well armed as he is and would not be as much a threat to his people. The Libyans even if they are rightly angry at us for doing this cannot defeat Gaddafi on their own, so need our help or they will die.

There will be no troops on the ground, already we are seeing that Libya is implementing a cease fire. This is early days on the front I admit but the signs are good so far.

I think the same think would have happened with Egypt had the situation got to this point. We are slowly but surely learning how to move to international law/politics and this can only be a good thing that in the long run will stop these bouts of bloodshed and genocide.

ReputationRep:
    Because the UK and USA, and about every western nation are so superior and are representatives of Human Rights. Don't make me laugh.
    They are worse than China.
    No more hypocritical than Britain, USA or even France wanting to overturn a dictator.
    This is true there is an element of hipocrasy more so from America.

But tell me where the UK falls foul of HR laws. We even just acepted changes to make womens car insurance more expensive to match men in order to meet the ECHR ruling.

ReputationRep:
    To all the peopl saying the no fly zone has "no support in britain" i would say that pretty much everyone i've spoken to on the issue agrees that it's the right thing to do.
    Whether it's to the benefit of the economy and the people of the UK or not is completely irrelevant; it is the humanitarian thing to do; a powerful nation supporting a fight for democracy and against mass murder. The fact the UN backs this effort is further confirmation that this is the right course of action.

Think about it, would you pay a few pounds to stop the murder of a stranger under attack? Because this is an identical situation, albeit on a much larger scale.

ReputationRep:
    Savings are going to mean squat if we don't have a libyan source of oil. Also how selfish is putting our luxuries first over a humanitarian crisis where people are dying, not every country can afford free education, free healthcare and free money (benefits).

ReputationRep:
    It was also used.

Of course, Gadaffi forces are superior- who gave him the weapons? The very people concerned with the well-being of the libyan people.

It has no support from the British public- the government should answer to that.
    Even the arab people (not their government) THE PEOPLE, don't want foreign intervention.
    I support it. I'm sure many others do too. Don't be so blinkered in your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to the US deciding they don't really fancy a regime change anymore if the rebels decide they want to reduce their links with Western arms companies and would like to nationalise the oil industry. Bet the same hippies will be all for bringing "freedom and democracy" and "in solidarity" with Libya then.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, why should we help other countries when our own education and NHS is being cut.

I don't get it, are we the equivalent of the noob that wins the lottery, then gives it all to his friends/ charities, and ends up in poverty?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.