Turn on thread page Beta

Red Nose Day - I don't think so watch

ReputationRep:
    The RND merchandise is rather awesome - I'm wearing one of their t-shirts right now, and ate some Stephen Fry Up crisps :awesome:. Plus, I actually like all the gimmicks surrounding it - it's all just a bit of fun. I reckon if they didn't have this sort of event, Comic Relief wouldn't be raising nearly as much money, especially since things like this really get kids in particular involved and more interested in charity :yep:

OP, you have every right not to get involved if you wish, but your complaint is rather unwarranted as Red Nose Day does no harm at all

ReputationRep:
    Comic Relief, so that a B rate comic can leave his dying stand up career and go on an all-expenses paid trip to Africa. Its like being a on gap yah.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be donating anything, but that's because I'm a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    You got it bang on OP, sorry you had to be subject to the narrow minded humans of TSR.

It's funny how many people seem to change their morals depending on context.
    Tell me about it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Comic Relief, so that a B rate comic can leave his dying stand up career and go on an all-expenses paid trip to Africa. Its like being a on gap yah.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure they get paid for it as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good cause and all that but it is exploited by some bands/celebrities in order to further their own causes. I mean the boyband Blue were on it this year, what the ****?

ReputationRep:
    after rednose day has raised over 650 million in the past 23 years, and its still not enough, surely throwing money at the problems a lot of these countries face just is not the answer, what does UN stand for anyway nowadays unbelievably naive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    It's a good cause and all that but it is exploited by some bands/celebrities in order to further their own causes. I mean the boyband Blue were on it this year, what the ****?
    I fail to see how anyone apart from the so-called 'artist' stands to gain anything by appearing on the show.

Furthermore, I fail to see how someone would feel compelled to donate money after seeing one of these artists perform on tv. I certainly wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurtfultruths)
    after rednose day has raised over 650 million in the past 23 years, and its still not enough, surely throwing money at the problems a lot of these countries face just is not the answer, what does UN stand for anyway nowadays unbelievably naive?
    Hear hear. I guess its much easier to raise money and make yourself look good than to actually address the problems these countries face first hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurtfultruths)
    comic relief helps a lot of people in the UK to and if you talk to some of them people you will realize that they really do make a big impact on peoples lives. comic relief has nothing to do with the UN and is not trying to sort out whole countries just help the people that it can and I think the fact that countless peoples lives have been completely turned around by them in the UK and across the world is worthwhile. if you were every in sure a dire situation would you think "god I hope someone doesn't waste there time trying to help me personally because they haven't fixed the country so what would be the point"... or would you be thankful to have someone provide you with somewhere to live/ food/ medicine so that your life could be about more than survival. individual people do matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    -rep very rude.

I don't believe in giving to the same country for charity when the government doesn't help out. How on earth is a country meant to get on their feet when they don't get help from their own people?
    and of course it's their fault their government won't help them, so we should just let them die, right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would give my life for charity but euthansia is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    how much do celebs contribute of their own money 1k max? which is nothing compared to what they earn

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.