Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After doing a BSc in Computer Science, would going on to do an MPhil in Advanced Computer Science/Software Engineering be worth it in terms of employability? Also, the MPhil would be studied at a much more prestigious university.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know a MPhil is not really a proper degree, you're registered as MPhil when you start a PhD.
    But I think it is much better to first try to get a MSc or Research Master in your field before considering doing research.
    I'm not sure you've got enough hindsight with a BSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steepest descent)
    As far as I know a MPhil is not really a proper degree, you're registered as MPhil when you start a PhD.
    But I think it is much better to first try to get a MSc or Research Master in your field before considering doing research.
    I'm not sure you've got enough hindsight with a BSc.
    A Master Of Philosophy isn't a proper degree?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In Science, many people do a PhD and do not end up in academia... A PhD is essential as soon as you want to do research, so it also works in industry. A PhD is also not only about research, but learning a lot of different skills, usually useful for your job or more generally in life.
    That's fair enough, but the OP is a historian. A PhD in history isn't really going to improve your chances of working in industry.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Of course MPhils are proper degrees. 'MPhil' can just mean a variety of different things - it doesn't even necessarily mean a masters by research. He's clearly thinking of Cambridge, where it's a one-year taught course: http://www.cam.ac.uk/guide/pgcourses/mphil/acs.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting confused again tbh lol :P I just want to work as a writer - I was just wondering whether a postgrad degree would be useful to me, perhaps making me better able to research my books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persie)
    I'm getting confused again tbh lol :P I just want to work as a writer - I was just wondering whether a postgrad degree would be useful to me, perhaps making me better able to research my books?
    It may do - it depends on what you feel your limitations are at the moment.

There's writing and there's writing. Personally I feel that doing a postgrad degree has opened up new subject areas for me to write about. I think that I had a bit of a lack of structure before, and I tended to stick to what I knew. These days I'd be more confident about tackling more heavyweight material - development issues, media analysis, political science etc, whereas before I tended to stick either to travel or to fiction. I'm not sure it's helped improve my research skills other than giving me more practice in deploying them.

But I think the point being made is that a postgrad degree will not magically give you the ability to write academically, nor will it help particularly as an entry to writing as a career. The world of writing and publishing doesn't set quite the same store on these things as other industries.

I think a rather good example is Antony Beevor, who never went to university at all - he went to Sandhurst straight from Winchester. Of course since then he's been awarded all manner of honorary degrees and visiting professorships. But he started out writing copy for a food company as a marketing executive.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, if you want to write books, as a historian, then really you should go into academia, or at least have taken the various degrees [etc] open to you. A BA in History is nowhere near enough to make you a good historian. You get the basics, but enough to write a book? No way. A masters will develop this, and a research masters perhaps more so than a taught one. A Phd will take you further again, so you have a good understanding and knowledge of how to research, how to fomulate complex ideas and write long amounts of text. A 10,000 word dissertation at the end of your BA will hardly set you up for that.
    Not to mention, most people who work within history/have any sense of history will be interested in using material from respected academics, though I admit there is some room for 'popular history' but even those tend to be by people with a certain level of historical study behind them.
    I don't understand why you'd want to write history but not be an historian...?
    Not to mention doing a Phd will probably allow you to work out how publishing etc works, which you wont experience through a BA.

ReputationRep:
    I want to write "popular history" along the lines of Antonia Fraser, David Starkey etc. But one of them has a doctorate and the other doesn't so it leaves me none the wiser :P

ReputationRep:
    I want to write "popular history" along the lines of Antonia Fraser, David Starkey etc. But one of them has a doctorate and the other doesn't so it leaves me none the wiser :P
    Not to mention Antonia Fraser comes from a very well connected family, which would have more than helped in getting her work published
    I'd say if you want to write good history, become an historian.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the more relevant fact here is not whether one or the other has a doctorate, but that both are talented writers.

I would argue that no amount of qualifications will make you one. But if you are one then perhaps a postgrad qualification would enable you to know your subject a little better.

Then again, if I've understood correctly, you are not even at university yet. So in a sense all this is academic. Come back to it in 3 years and see how you feel.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.