The Student Room Group

Becoming a solicitor after failing to get pupillage?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bloo12
Hi guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the possibilities available for joining a law firm after doing the bar course but failing to get a pupillage.

I realise that it certainly is possible; what I was wondering really was
a) whether having done the bar course was a significant disadvantage, since it might show you don't really want to be a solicitor,

b) what people in such a position tend to say on their application forms to law firms to reconcile their BPTC qualification with their professed desire to be a solicitor and

c) whether people actually try and hide the fact they've done the bar course in such a situation, saying they just did a gap year or the like.

Thanks a lot!

Im doing that. I have worked for 2 solicitors. Going to the 1st a couple of months before OLPAS last year i was quite honest and said I did want a pupillage, I caveated that i would be comitting until at least Sep 2012 as that was when a pupillage through OLPAS would start (didn't discuss non olpas as cross bridge and all that) they were happy to take me on knowing I just wanted the experience.

Then a few months later i was enjoying it immensley, starting to do my own advocacy and becoming less interested in the bar and more interested in being a solicitor so I applied for QLTT and my boss was happy to fill in the forms for me knew thats where i was now probably headed. Then they lost their legal aid contract so i figured my days were numbered (although it was JRd in the end) and I looked for another job and came upon my current place where they wanted to start doing advocacy inhouse with fixed fees coming in so offered me a pseudo TC for the rest of my qualifying (about 6m left now). It is perfect for them and now all their trainees are BVC (well, the 2 others there are) as they dont have to register the training contract, fund PSC etc but get a 'trainee' who is able to start with simple advocacy as well.

These firms didnt have a problem but of course now the QLTT is gone its a different story - ie how would you become a solicitor without the LPC as the BPTC does not allow you to qualify as anythign but a barrister? You would have to now do the LPC (or at least some of it) AND fight for a TC.

The only option i can see is such firms just keeping inhouse paralegal advocates who eventually become filexs).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FMQ
Im doing that. I have worked for 2 solicitors. Going to the 1st a couple of months before OLPAS last year i was quite honest and said I did want a pupillage, I caveated that i would be comitting until at least Sep 2012 as that was when a pupillage through OLPAS would start (didn't discuss non olpas as cross bridge and all that) they were happy to take me on knowing I just wanted the experience.

Then a few months later i was enjoying it immensley, starting to do my own advocacy and becoming less interested in the bar and more interested in being a solicitor so I applied for QLTT and my boss was happy to fill in the forms for me knew thats where i was now probably headed. Then they lost their legal aid contract so i figured my days were numbered (although it was JRd in the end) and I looked for another job and came upon my current place where they wanted to start doing advocacy inhouse with fixed fees coming in so offered me a pseudo TC for the rest of my qualifying (about 6m left now). It is perfect for them and now all their trainees are BVC (well, the 2 others there are) as they dont have to register the training contract, fund PSC etc but get a 'trainee' who is able to start with simple advocacy as well.

These firms didnt have a problem but of course now the QLTT is gone its a different story - ie how would you become a solicitor without the LPC as the BPTC does not allow you to qualify as anythign but a barrister? You would have to now do the LPC (or at least some of it) AND fight for a TC.

The only option i can see is such firms just keeping inhouse paralegal advocates who eventually become filexs).

So you could do the QLTT without having completed a pupillage? Where does that leave you now? Are you now a solicitor?
Reply 3
Check your messages bloo12
Reply 4
Original post by tony_ron
So you could do the QLTT without having completed a pupillage? Where does that leave you now? Are you now a solicitor?

Yes until August 2010 there was a loophole in SRA transfer requirements where called BVC grads were considered "qualified" for transfer purposes - this is how bvc grads were able to apply for training contracts - they were actually pseudo TCs not registered but doing the same work etc.

I will qualify as a solicitor in about 6 months if i keep working.
Reply 5
Original post by FMQ
Yes until August 2010 there was a loophole in SRA transfer requirements where called BVC grads were considered "qualified" for transfer purposes - this is how bvc grads were able to apply for training contracts - they were actually pseudo TCs not registered but doing the same work etc.

I will qualify as a solicitor in about 6 months if i keep working.

Aha, I think I had heard something about that! Shame they closed that loop-hole - I know a few people who would have liked to go down that route.
Reply 6
It wasn't so much a loophole as just how it was done. It changed because of having to make it fair in the context of the EU. Any EU qualified lawyer can theoretically transfer under the new regulations. A barrister who hasn't done pupillage is not a qualified lawyer (after much argument within the profession a couple of years ago) and so can't transfer.
Reply 7
Aren't the BSB looking again at the issue of the BPTC to LPC conversion element though? I seem to recall reading something about that.
Original post by SevenStars
Aren't the BSB looking again at the issue of the BPTC to LPC conversion element though? I seem to recall reading something about that.

It is the SRA, who are very slowly looking at this.
Reply 9
Nulli - thank you for that. I vaguely remembered the basic info I posted above but didn't pay close attention as I won't be converting if I don't succeed at the Bar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending