Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay.. please excuse the fact I have absolutely no knowledge on this, for some reason I haven't had the chance to attend any sort of finance talk. Anyway. I live in England and have applied for a scottish university. This is probably a really stupid question so no negative comments about stupidity please, but do I still get the right student loans and grants that a scottish student applying to a scottish university would? And if so, is there a set amount that everyone is entitled to or does it vary between different universities?

Rep for most helpful answer. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, England student have to apply for funding through the SLC (student loans company) and Scottish students apply through SAAS (student's award agency scotland)

Regardless of where you intend to study, I think you have to apply through your local funding authority - which in your case would be the SLC.

And that's about as far as I can stretch my basic knowledge on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh thanks for your help So, can I still apply for bursaries, the maintenance grant and such as an english student in scotland?

ReputationRep:
    You pay the English tuition fee rate (Currently its about £1500) but you can get a tuition fee loan from the SLC for that.

You can get a maintenance loan for the SLC to cover your living costs.

Bursaries depend on the conditions - some are open to people from certain areas or people studying certain subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    You pay the English tuition fee rate (Currently its about £1500) but you can get a tuition fee loan from the SLC for that.

You can get a maintenance loan for the SLC to cover your living costs.

Bursaries depend on the conditions - some are open to people from certain areas or people studying certain subjects.
    So basically even though I'm going to scotland i still use the SLC? Do i get the same amount even though the tuition fees are cheaper in Scotland for english students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    So basically even though I'm going to scotland i still use the SLC? Do i get the same amount even though the tuition fees are cheaper in Scotland for english students?
    Yes. You get the same amount of money you would get by going to an English university outside of London. Your tuition loan covers the tuition fee you need to pay (e.g if the fee is £1500, you get a £1500 loan).

The tuition fee info is only right if you're starting this year (September 2011) as the Scottish government haven't decided what to do for 2012 entrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    Yes. You get the same amount of money you would get by going to an English university outside of London. Your tuition loan covers the tuition fee you need to pay (e.g if the fee is £1500, you get a £1500 loan).

The tuition fee info is only right if you're starting this year (September 2011) as the Scottish government haven't decided what to do for 2012 entrants.
    Oh okay I understand now, so the tuition loan is always given for the amount of your own university fees? And with the maintenance loan, is there a set amount that they give out? Dependant on family income etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    Oh okay I understand now, so the tuition loan is always given for the amount of your own university fees? Yes, that is right.
    And with the maintenance loan, is there a set amount that they give out? Dependant on family income etc Once again you are correct, there is a set amount you get that is not related to family income (I believe this is £915) and then any further funding is dependent on your family income (if you are supported by your parents)
    Answers are in bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    £915 if you're in Scotland, not England.

SCL are more generous than SAAS.
    I stand corrected

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.