Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

King's vs Southampton vs Barts vs Leeds watch

• View Poll Results: Which University Would You Choose for Medicine?
    King's
    25.86%
    Southampton
    20.69%
    Barts
    34.48%
    Leeds
    18.97%

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I've received offers from King's, Southampton, Barts and Leeds for Medicine. Really happy of course, but I now have to decide between 4 great universities!

I really love King's, partly due to its location(London!).

When I visited Southampton, I fell in love with the campus. Only thing is that it is not in a large bustling global city like King's is. Do I want to spend 5 years in a small-ish city?

Please advise/ give opinions! Anybody studying in any of these universities? How are they like? Quality of living wise as well as academically etc. Inputs much appreciated!

edit: AHHHHHH why have I been negged???

ReputationRep:
    Can't say that I have any experience of the other universities but Barts is very good. At first I was a bit "meh" especially with the course but after our "standardising" module, everything got much better.

We do the body systems in blocks of 3 weeks each (cardiorespiratory, metabolism, locomotor etc.), and I have to say PBL is done very well, it really reinforces your core knowledge as well as applying it to a clinical setting (example being when we were doing CR, there was a PBL on heart failure and at the time our lectures were on the heart, so not only did doing that PBL reinforce all we learnt on the heart but we could apply our knowledge to a clinical setting (heart failure))

Also there is a very good choice of student selected components, I just did mine on the pharmacology of the the autonomic nervous system which was very interesting.

As far as the area goes, it's based in Whitechapel & Mile End, personally I am not keen on the area and I'm slowly getting used to it but it is very cheap. Kings is based near London Bridge area which is all very nice indeed, however I'm unsure on what their course is like (think it's more traditionally focussed) so it's really up to you, depending on what course you like and what area you prefer living in...but choose Barts :p:

ReputationRep:
    im going to be biased and ofc say kings

but in fairness all are very good medical schools and im pretty sure you'll enjoy yourself at whichever one you pick

good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1. PBL or not? Yes then Barts, no then continue:
    2. Traditionalish or systems? If the former, Kings, otherwise continue:
    3. A party city or not a party city? If the former, Leeds, otherwise Soton.

:teeth:

Afaik Kings is subjects-based, so significantly more traditional than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

Afaik Kings is subjects-based, so significantly more traditional than the others.
    man, where has that orange mask gone
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Organ)
    man, where has that orange mask gone
    Fancied something different... not sure about it though, might change it back. Don't like it?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you should go with Kings because I was in the Open Day and it was amazing but it all depends on what you are looking to get out of medical school. I don't know much from Leeds and Southampton but I think Barts and Kings are very different in terms of being only with medical students or not, their teaching and the course structure so maybe you should start choosing taking in mind those factors.

Good luck and I am sure you will love anywhere you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

What is systems? :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by happy-pink-gecko)
    What is systems? :confused:
    I mean systems-based-learning, sorry for not being clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I mean systems-based-learning, sorry for not being clear.
    ohhhhh, okay

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did my undergraduate degree at Leeds, and I absolutely loved it. It's such an amazing city, I could faff on about it all day. :love:

If you don't have especially strong feelings about the course structure then I suppose the next most important factor is geography and whether you like the city or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.