Turn on thread page Beta

What salary would make you happy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Errrm. I'd probably be happy with £20,000+ a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'James Hunt')
    In these current times, i would be happy with a boring office job which pays £15,000 a year after i graduate as it would pay my bills and mortgage. By the age of 30 i would want to be on a salary of £25,000 a year though (mortgage would be cleared and id be saving about 10k a year).

So what salary would make you happy?
    £15k gross is £12,274 after the tax and student loan repayment are taken out. After living expenses and council tax and bills and everything you would not have a lot put on your mortgage; do you really think you would have paid it off by the age of 30??? Not to mention that you would need to save for a deposit to get the mortgage in the first place, which would take quite a while. Bear in mind that it is far more expensive to live as a "proper" adult than as a student because of no student discounts or tax exemptions, work clothing, transport, no student-priced bars/events etc. Not to mention that you'd probably want to start a pension plan.

£25k is £18,274 post-tax. You would have to live on £8,274 a year to save £10k with that salary.

I'm sorry if this seems rude, I am just trying to point out the possible oversights in your plan. I don't know a great deal about mortgages, but given that most people don't seem to pay theirs off until middle age (my parents are in their sixties and still have one even though we're fairly comfortably off), I'm a bit baffled as to how you think it can be so easily done with a £15k salary. Please put me right if I am wrong about any of the above though, I am happy to be corrected.

And for everyone else, I'm not dissing a £15k salary (I'm on about that at the moment!), I'm just questioning the optimism with which the OP wrote about earning that. Quite a few people in my office earn about the same and they talk about money worries a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    And for everyone else, I'm not dissing a £15k salary (I'm on about that at the moment!), I'm just questioning the optimism with which the OP wrote about earning that. Quite a few people in my office earn about the same and they talk about money worries a lot.
    Samee, when i was working full time in my gap years i was on about £12k (just a supermarket job so y'know) before tax and i can tell you it is really not a lot! i don't think you would be able to pay bills and a mortgage on 15k, i durno, i spend money like water so maybe it's just me but i personally would really struggle!

i'm not too fussed about salary, as long as i have enough money to put a roof over my head and enough to afford a couple of kids.. i'm good.

ReputationRep:
    £25k a year by the time im 25 and £30-50K by 30 and £50k or more when I am 35

ReputationRep:
    by the age of 30...I'd be happy with anything over 45K....

when I;m 40...80K+

retire at 55....

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, so long as I hit about £35k at some point in life, I'll be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I've alway set my sights on £30,000 per annum post-tax as my first career goal. I'd probably be content with £25,000 post-tax but push for the extra £5,000 as that's an extra holiday. As I get more years of experience, I'd hope to start getting up in to management and be earning £60,000 - £100,000 post-tax.

ReputationRep:
    As long as I'm making over $500K a year I'd be OK.

ReputationRep:
    £39k at the age of 25 sounds good

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with £30'000 a year. Well I'd be happy with anything right now but I'd like to be on £30k in my 30's.

ReputationRep:
    £100k.
    I may settle for a little less.

But around that mark if I want to live in a nice, decently sized house in a good area, not worry about money and be able to take care of my mum without her having to work.

ReputationRep:
    My father says that if I keep polishing his private toilet, my £3.17 a week will go up, so fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    £15k gross is £12,274 after the tax and student loan repayment are taken out. After living expenses and council tax and bills and everything you would not have a lot put on your mortgage; do you really think you would have paid it off by the age of 30??? Not to mention that you would need to save for a deposit to get the mortgage in the first place, which would take quite a while. Bear in mind that it is far more expensive to live as a "proper" adult than as a student because of no student discounts or tax exemptions, work clothing, transport, no student-priced bars/events etc. Not to mention that you'd probably want to start a pension plan.

£25k is £18,274 post-tax. You would have to live on £8,274 a year to save £10k with that salary.

I'm sorry if this seems rude, I am just trying to point out the possible oversights in your plan. I don't know a great deal about mortgages, but given that most people don't seem to pay theirs off until middle age (my parents are in their sixties and still have one even though we're fairly comfortably off), I'm a bit baffled as to how you think it can be so easily done with a £15k salary. Please put me right if I am wrong about any of the above though, I am happy to be corrected.

I was thinking something like this. Most people are lucky to have BOUGHT a house by the time they're thirty, let alone have paid off the mortgage!

Personally, I think about 30-40k would be good, but I'm preparing myself for being on the lower end of that since I want to be a teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'James Hunt')
    In these current times, i would be happy with a boring office job which pays £15,000 a year after i graduate as it would pay my bills and mortgage. By the age of 30 i would want to be on a salary of £25,000 a year though (mortgage would be cleared and id be saving about 10k a year).

So what salary would make you happy?

By the time i'm 30-40 i'd like to be on £30-40,000.
    I think it could be achievable, my mom is on £43,000 and my qualifications are already better than hers, but she does say experience is favoured more which is true, but hopefully by 30-40 i would have a fair amount of experience
    Though any job would be a blessing!

ReputationRep:
    anything £35,000 and over.

Currently on £24k.

ReputationRep:
    25k a yr is a little right? 100k a yr would be a reasonable amount (:

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be in a job that is lower paid that I enjoy than one thats higher paid that I hate, I am planning on going to nursing so its not very well paid for what you have to do, start on around £21k which isnt all that bad tbh and I would be happy earning that for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:

I should have clarified that I live with my parents and to take the pressure of paying the mortgage and bills from them i would take over the costs.

The mortgage we have to pay off is £75k with 20 years left so about £5k a year. Utilities and my personal expenses come to about £7K. As for food, my parents pay for that

Im in an asian family so the thought of living with my parents when im 30 doesn't really bother me, asian families tend place and emphasis on keeping close, it's just the way things are. The thought of 3 generations all living together under the same roof brings a smile to my face in fact!

ReputationRep:
    When at my peak £100k-150k (40 years+) would be a good amount to live very very luxuriously.

ReputationRep:
    In the direction I'm heading currently... about £70,000 p/a? In order to comfortably support myself and allow a child to live comfortably and thrive academically.
    But If I was to think about what would truly make me happy, enough to save up some money to go travelling around the world for a couple of years at least in my 20s/30s, then maybe start up a small business of my own - a farm or something in the countryside to live a humble yet comfortable lifestyle.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.