Parents And Interviews Watch

visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Back in the day, my mum drove me in and spent the day just shopping/hanging out at Starbucks during and between my interviews.
matthewr05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Charlottie)
My parents are ace, it didn't bother me that they were there, they were hardly being pushy anyway, but it did mean that I didn't have to pay for the train or worry about finding my way from the train station.
I came on my own, and missed my train back to Edinburgh. £56 poorer thanks to that.
Katie J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What's all this talk of 'coming down', learn now, you only ever 'come up' to Cambridge!

The possibility of bringing my mum didn't even register when I came, I just assumed everyone would get a train...how wrong I was! Mum drove me to one open day, and that was because I had family up north she wanted to see and I was too jet lagged. It didn't occur to her either.

I rang home after my interview because I managed to get horribly lost so ringing home seemed like a good idea, my mum just laughed at me, she'd been to Cambridge only once herself and predictably wasn't at all helpful!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
What's all this talk of 'coming down', learn now, you only ever 'come up' to Cambridge!

The possibility of bringing my mum didn't even register when I came, I just assumed everyone would get a train...how wrong I was! Mum drove me to one open day, and that was because I had family up north she wanted to see and I was too jet lagged. It didn't occur to her either.

I rang home after my interview because I managed to get horribly lost so ringing home seemed like a good idea, my mum just laughed at me, she'd been to Cambridge only once herself and predictably wasn't at all helpful!
random: You didn't happen to play the horn at the KCMS concert the other day, did you?
groovy_moose
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got a lift with my mum, since it's really the only feasible way of getting there. I then did my test and hung around with the others, met her for dinner, then didn't see her until after my interviews the next day - it was quite good to have someone to talk to about it afterwards - and better than complicated train routes involving switching lines half way across london...
**noooni**
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just wondering how long does it take to get to Cambridge by car from london? I have only ever been by train but i dont know which way is fastest.
THnx
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
depends where you are starting from in london...
http://rp.rac.co.uk/routeplanner may help (but be careful, everytime ive used it its taken us some quite strange routes
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm driving my son down then staying in a local B&B and picking him up in the morning after his interviews. It's a 2.5 hour drive each way and maybe 4 hours plus on the train. I'm taking him so that he has less stress in travelling (just how bad would it feel to miss a connection in London?) but them I'm going away so that he can hang out with the other applicants. I'll go sit in a library somewhere and read. Shopping? Pah!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by grumballcake)
I'm driving my son down then staying in a local B&B and picking him up in the morning after his interviews. It's a 2.5 hour drive each way and maybe 4 hours plus on the train. I'm taking him so that he has less stress in travelling (just how bad would it feel to miss a connection in London?) but them I'm going away so that he can hang out with the other applicants. I'll go sit in a library somewhere and read. Shopping? Pah!
There's not much shopping you can do in cambridge anyway. Tell you what, go ride the Jesus horse.

I went to interview on my own. I wouldn't say there was much stress in the travelling. Then again, there is a direct train running between Leicester and Cambridge. Finding the college once you are in Cambridge is stressful especially if you got here when it's dark (and cold).
**noooni**
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by notyourpunk)
depends where you are starting from in london...
http://rp.rac.co.uk/routeplanner may help (but be careful, everytime ive used it its taken us some quite strange routes
thnx for the link
bob_54321
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
surely, if like me, you are coming from further north than cambridge (yes, there are places north of cambridge!), then i will be going down to cambridge . . . its not the capital or anything which i think you have to go up to for some reason. meh.
apd35
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bob_54321)
surely, if like me, you are coming from further north than cambridge (yes, there are places north of cambridge!), then i will be going down to cambridge . . . its not the capital or anything which i think you have to go up to for some reason. meh.
Wait and see what happens if you get in, I keep on hearing about people referring to Birmmingham and Wolverhampton as really far up North, then when I say where I'm from, blank looks. I don't think some of them had ever met anyone who actually is from up North (i.e. North West or further North)
__WiZaRD__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Are you sure your son would want you to be there?
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bob_54321)
you never go "down" on cambridge... you go "up". Always.
apd35
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know I much preferred doing the whole interview process on my own, coming from a ood distance, I got the train down on my interview day, met some students, who now I get on really well with, and chatted to other interviewees. It also allowed me to chill out in the Student bar after the interview afterwards, stay in college overnight and get the train home next day. It was really cool, and let's face it once you get to Uni you have to be independent, so doing things like this on your own, I believe is better.
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
Are you sure your son would want you to be there?
Be where? I'm dropping him at Girton (which is otherwise a ***** to find) then I'm pushing off again until I pick him up. I'm guessing that you don't get on with your parents from the question, but let me assure you that lots of 18 year olds do have a decent relationship with their parents. If my son didn't want me there, he'd say so and he'd make his own way on the train. However, he is smart enough to realise that a trip in the car (which has the bonus of an hour's driving practice each way) is much better than a four hour train trip with several changes, to arrive several miles from your destination and rely on a dodgy bus service. Maybe that's why he's applying to Cambridge in the first place.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Be where? I'm dropping him at Girton (which is otherwise a ***** to find) then I'm pushing off again until I pick him up. I'm guessing that you don't get on with your parents from the question, but let me assure you that lots of 18 year olds do have a decent relationship with their parents. If my son didn't want me there, he'd say so and he'd make his own way on the train. However, he is smart enough to realise that a trip in the car (which has the bonus of an hour's driving practice each way) is much better than a four hour train trip with several changes, to arrive several miles from your destination and rely on a dodgy bus service. Maybe that's why he's applying to Cambridge in the first place.
I get on very well with my parents, but that doesn't mean I wanted either of them at any of my interviews.
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by apd35)
doing things like this on your own, I believe is better.
Are you aware that you're dictating how everyone should behave? What about the peope who value the support and encouragement of others?

The essence of being a good parent is knowing when and how to let go. I have five children who have very different temperaments and who need individual treatment, not a one-size-fits-all prescription.

I recall my own trip to Cambridge (many years ago) when I misjudged the rail timetable and was late, then had to walk miles to Churchill in the rain, missed my interview with the Dean and finally lost my return ticket. A most miserable day indeed. Had either of my parents offered to take me, I'd have jumped at it.

Having said that - if he had wanted to make his own way, I'd have simply helped him with his scheduling and probably taken him to the train. I even offered as much to him. He politely declined and said he'd rather have a lift.
apd35
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be fair though if he gets in, he'll have to do all the relying on (not-so-)dodgy bus service himself and wanting to go on your own doesn't mean poor relationship with parents, I get on extremely well with my Mum and Dad, but they both agreed with me that it would be better for me to go on my own. The train journey was 3 hours each way, coming down from the North West as opposed to the around 4 hours it took when I came down in October to start. Some people might think the moral support is good, but you if you do get in, you still have to cope with those times where you start wondering if you really can hack it, or coming out of a supervision for which you couldn't do half the work, without that moral support of your parents there to greet you on the way out.
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I get on very well with my parents, but that doesn't mean I wanted either of them at any of my interviews.
Sure, but that's your choice. Why would you force it on everyone else? Oh and did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't going to be at his interviews? I'm just a glorified taxi driver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)