Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Sure, but that's your choice. Why would you force it on everyone else? Oh and did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't going to be at his interviews? I'm just a glorified taxi driver.
    No, I saw that, and I'm glad to see it. What I didn't appreciate was the insinuation that anyone who didn't want their parents there obviously had a bad relationship with them. That's just as much of a generalisation.

I don't have a problem if people want to have their parents bring them, I appreciate in many cases it's much easier than getting the train (I had the joys of changing in Birmingham in rush hour, but New Street is very easy to navigate). As a general piece of advice though - let them give you some space before and after the interview, this is YOUR moment not theirs and you need to sort your head out before tackling all their worries!

ReputationRep:
    personal preference is perhaps the best way of deciding. And if they want to come, well, htere really is no stopping some people...

I came up by train myself the day before (through London!) having walked out of a History lesson midway through to catch the train. ("Where are you going?" "cambridge. For the interview that could shape the course of the rest of my life..." I know how to make an exit!) I didn't really meet any other applicants ('cos I was antisocial and read Christopher Hill and my essays instead!) and didn't go out clubbing because at the time i didn't have the confidence.

My dad came up the next morning, and met me before the first interview before going to Starbucks in Borders, where I joined him (and had a Rocky Road and hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream!) afterwards, and kinda hung around for half an hour before the second interview. We looked around for a bit afterwards (I'd been up several times before) before going home together. Not bad.

BTW, I promised myself i'd go to the same Starbucks and have the same stuff if I got in. I did it yesterday... nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Sure, but that's your choice. Why would you force it on everyone else? Oh and did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't going to be at his interviews? I'm just a glorified taxi driver.
    Some people also find that reassurance from parents just before and after an interview can make you feel worse, particularly if they have never been to university and have no idea what the whole interview process is like. I found that at another university interview being with other students helped me calm down for a few hours before hand, and made it seem more "human", and less like a competition. Sometimes a ride on a train can give you time to collect your thoughts and take your mind off the actual interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    To be fair though if he gets in, he'll have to do all the relying on (not-so-)dodgy bus service himself.
    Well, he'll be a year older by then, won't he? Perhaps he'll feel differently about it.1

I do know someone at Girton who arrived late for her aptitude test (the same as he'll be taking) because of the problems in getting there. She said that it wasn't condusive to top performance.

If you valued the experience of travelling on your own, well and good. Just understand that not everyone is the same.

1 More likely he'll want me to transport down all his guitars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    To be fair though if he gets in, he'll have to do all the relying on (not-so-)dodgy bus service himself and wanting to go on your own doesn't mean poor relationship with parents, I get on extremely well with my Mum and Dad, but they both agreed with me that it would be better for me to go on my own. The train journey was 3 hours each way, coming down from the North West as opposed to the around 4 hours it took when I came down in October to start. Some people might think the moral support is good, but you if you do get in, you still have to cope with those times where you start wondering if you really can hack it, or coming out of a supervision for which you couldn't do half the work, without that moral support of your parents there to greet you on the way out.
    that's a familiar occurence for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    that's a familiar occurence for me
    I don't believe that, you always seem to be doing alright when I see you!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I'm fine in the sense I can *do* the questions they set (after spending 5 hrs trying to figure out a question that is supposed to take 45 mins in the exam woohoo...) Also I'm a bit worried coz I just don't talk AT ALL in my supos, just cant get myself to
    Oh well, always have Christmas to catch up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    I don't believe that, you always seem to be doing alright when I see you!
    It'll get there, eventually. Mark my word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    What I didn't appreciate was the insinuation that anyone who didn't want their parents there obviously had a bad relationship with them.
    You really need to look at what I wrote and its context. The original writer asked: "Are you sure your son would want you to be there?" What's the subtext in that? Isn't it implying: a) that the son doesn't really want you there and b) he hasn't a good enough relationship to say so. Alternatively it implies to me that the parent is ignoring the child's stated wishes.

Either way, that doesn't imply an honest and healthy relationship, but I used "I'm guessing" rather than any sort of definitive statement and I limited it to the context of the question itself. The only people I know who would write like that, have poor relationships with their parents. However, maybe it was just a clumsy piece of phrasing. I blame the English teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Also I'm a bit worried coz I just don't talk AT ALL in my supos, just cant get myself to
    Drink some whisky just beforehand

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying over the day before on my own. When I went to open days my Mum came and stayed in a B&B.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a mojito or double-vodka redbull, but otherwise agree

ReputationRep:
    apd35 - Wow you're from Warrington! I live in Widnes! Ahem, yes small things do amuse little minds.

I'm absolutely awful with public transport so my mum's going to come with me, if I ever hear about my interview date. My mum's one of my best friends anyway so we're planning on going the day before and having some fun. Er yeah, I do take my college work seriously, honest! I just take shopping more seriously...

ReputationRep:
    How do you pronounce Widnes? It's always bugged me, and now seemed a good time to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Southern Comfort with lemon slice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    random: You didn't happen to play the horn at the KCMS concert the other day, did you?
    Nope, not me. I am not at all musical sadly.

I don't think my mum would have taken the days off to drive me to Cambridge and then spend a lot on petrol for me, I paid for my own train fare and would not have expected her to do that for me either. I could manage changing four times (twice on the Underground) easily enough, so saw no reason to do otherwise. Compared the interviews, traveling is the easy bit!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of drinks, I just had a brilliant cocktail in the cow... anyway, my mum insisted on coming with me which was a bit annoying at first, as she is ill and walks very slowly which made me late for my first interview and cut into the time I had to read the extract I was given before the interview. But then we had quite a cool time in the JCR between interviews, taking the piss out of candidates that came out crying, that sort of thing. We don't normally get on but for that sort of thing we're alright. I'm glad she came. That's not to say that I couldn't have come alone, I did the journey alone many times before that. To be honest it was just an excuse to spend some quality time together; the interviews themselves were the secondary purpose of the trip really. When I was sheepdogging last year there were a couple of parents that were quite insistent that they wanted to go into the interview too, and that was just embarrassing for everyone concerned, and the parents that were left behind in the plodge during interviews just looked awkward...

ReputationRep:
    Parents wanted to go in for the interview too???
    That is just bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    I think they were just protective.... but, yes, bizzare and just not that fun for us to have to deal with

ReputationRep:
    I think mine would given half a chance.... "Oh go on, give her another go. She can do better than that". Oh the embarrassement.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.