Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,

I came out of college with top grades, but still felt undecided what I wanted to do. So my parents forced me into a degree, which I stated was useless for me, but they saw that uni is a golden ticket and said I had to go. I'm now in second year and want to get out of the degree and completely change my career goals. Problem they've taken all my money from day one, they forced me to go onto uni, but gave my only sister a year to think about what she wanted to do. I feel like I'm just a piggybank for them. I say it was unfair that she got a gap year to see what career she wanted. They blank me every time I say why didn't I get a gap year..

Any advice would be most appreciated on the situation, like would should I do? Say screw you and leave and take a part time job whilst re-doing career goals?

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Your almost near the finish-line just one more year left till you graduate, finish that (assuming ur doing a 3yr course), then choose what you actually want to do. A degree can't do any harm, and there's nothing soo worthwhile you could do in that one year really.
    So I would say bite your teeth and finish the degree, then go into whatever career you want, because a year will fly by.

What course you on?

ReputationRep:
    They've taken all your money? What? Why are you letting your parents do this. Leave uni if you want to and make your own life.

ReputationRep:
    Finish the degree. Then when you tell you're parents that you want to change career choice you can say that you gave their degree choice a go. If you quit now then you have noting to persuade your parents with.

ReputationRep:
    Would asking if you're Asian be a stupid question?

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with Student. Its really sad and horrible whats happened to you and your parents need a reality ckeck, but you're 15 months away from getting the degree. Im assuming you'll be 21 when you finish, so you still have loads of time to do another degree or take time out and find your career path. Plus, whether you finish this degree and get another or decided to take time out, your salary prosepects are hugely imporved as a grauate so atleast you'll be able to enjoy yor time off!

BTW, what degree are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your course and age, I'd probably say, finish the degree so you have something to fall back onto first, even though your parents 'forced' you into university.
    You should have stood your ground in the first place but I agree that it is very unfair of them to use you like this.

Then, once you have something to fall back on, go on and pursue your true dreams, without your parents trying to force you into an occupation you don't want.

Kind regards,
    Fox

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it sounds a crappy situation, but I would have to say, you will probably thank yourself later if you finish the degree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.