The Student Room Group

how to stop being jealous of 20 friends who all managed to be doctors/dentists.......

Scroll to see replies

Comiserations, I do genuinely feel bad for you, but... try to see the good side of it... you have a break from acedemia for a year, you're on the verge of adulthood/independence... enjoy it! Party hard! Do some work experience (possibly overseas) and apply again next year :smile:
Reply 21
stop hanging round asian circles?
jeez; you had 20 people get in from your college alone? that's ridiculous
Original post by modem
literally all my friends from my school got in and i can say ps wise and grade wise we were all very similar.
i even had 2 interviews...i feel like a failure and just really unhappy sometimes.

I know the temptation is high, but stop comparing yourself! Start counting your OWN blessings! When you see that whatever you have is much more substantial than what you're missing, then you can be focused on whatever it is that you really want to do with your life.

Good luck! (:
I definitely empathise, I'm a graduate, see the sig... :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by Jacktri
Private schooled stop crying because you didn't get to be a doctor or a dentist you are richer than most and will most likely remain richer than most you are part of a privileged minority.

im not even rich-it was a good school but not private?
Reply 25
Original post by modem
im not even rich-it was a good school but not private?

20 people doing dentistry/medicine in a state school is unheard of especially considering they will need all As at A level for this to happen you must have gotten all the good teachers by pure chance
Reply 26
Original post by jacktri
20 people doing dentistry/medicine in a state school is unheard of especially considering they will need all as at a level for this to happen you must have gotten all the good teachers by pure chance

best state schl in city
Two of my closest friends also applied to medicine. One of them got in and the other one didn't and we are always together and I notice how when we talk about what we are going to in medical school (if we get in grade wise:P) she feels a bit left out however she is happy for us and she is looking to go into graduate medicine so even though she is upset she knows its not our fault and there is nothing we can do so she does not seem jealous of us or anything.

You just have to remember that there is also the 'luck' factor when you apply to medicine and you friends probably had better luck than you did. It does not mean anything really, if you get in next year it does not mean that they will be better doctors because they got in the first time or anything.

Right now all you can do is think about what you are going to do next year and be happy for their success.
Original post by Jacktri
20 people doing dentistry/medicine in a state school is unheard of especially considering they will need all As at A level for this to happen you must have gotten all the good teachers by pure chance

state grammar :cool:
Reply 29
Original post by thisismycatch22
state grammar :cool:

YES?
Reply 30
Medicine can be a difficult course to get accepted for, not everybody gets in on their first try. Here's a little story.

At the beginning of year 12, there were 9 of us who wanted to study Medicine. However, at the end of year 12 a few gave up. Three didn't feel that they'd get the grades, another 2 got sick of the competition. That left us at 4. One of the 4 decided she'd go the postgrad route, dropping it down to 3.

One was incredibly bright, also very motivated and hardworking. She managed to get an offer from Cambridge, which she thoroughly deserved. Another was also enthusiastic, his family also had a history at Imperial. He didn't make it there but got an offer from BSMS, also deserved.

I wasn't either of them! After straight rejections, the last arriving on my birthday, I felt that I'd done something wrong. I flunked UCL's interview and got a generic "goodbye" from Imperial. Every other person in our year held offers for something somewhere. Slightly demoralising, especially when people said "but you're so clever!".

However, I focused on my A-Levels - making sure I had the grades to be in a good position next year (A*AAA for those interested). I reapplied, chose my choices carefully and learned from where I went wrong the previous year. However, Imperial rejected me again after another mediocre interview. Thankfully Southampton gave me an offer, which I'm gladly taking up.

It may be tough, seeing everyone else succeed where you didn't. However, it's not a race or a talent show. If you're serious about Medicine, get your grades and some experience. A gap year isn't the end of the world by any means. If I knew how mine would turn out, I'd have gone for deferred entry.

Sorry for the life story! I just felt I'd share a little something. Remember, gap years can be cool.
Reply 31
at least half, probably more of the successful applicants in your 20 didnt want to do medicin, so its satisfying in a way that they've ruined their lives so young, whereas you havent.
Original post by MillerTraub
Easy, med students:
- have 5 years of hard work and long hours
- get dicked over by where you are placed (leading to 1.5 hour commutes to and from placements)
- no real holidays from year 2 onwards
- insufficient loans (only get an extra £400 to cover the 3 additional months and no real maintenance in final year)

Exactly, why would anyone want to put themselves through that?
I know how you feel. Most of the people that get into medicine do not deserve it. Only a select few do and I know plenty of people with rejections that would make excellent doctors, but never get into medicine.

Nothing we can do about it. First of all, they should scrap the ukcat test and certainly have a more fairer selection process.

I also think that they should let in more people from low income backgrounds, as they have it a thousand times tougher than someone from a well-off background. I have loads of cousins that went to private school and getting into medicine was a very easy process for them. Getting the grades is easy for them, arranging work experience, preparation for interviews for them, etc. They get everything handed down to them. Whereas, people from **** schools and poor families have to work their ass off and usually do not even get in. Something is really wrong with the system.

Sadly, I do not see the above ever changing. Life is very unfair.
well i guess the first step is to stop being jealous of the people who managed to be dentists. i mean, teeth, really?
im in the same position as the original poster and like Thracia said above its very demoralizing. as you can expect my parents are extremely worried and in fact my dad is coming into college to speak to my head of year soon. I just dont know what to do tbh. should i go into clearing/use ucas extra offer ?? i dnt think im good enough for medicine now, and im considering a different career altogether, preferably one which pays well. any recommendations ?? and is going down the Apprenticeships route worthwhile??
Reply 36
Without wanting to sound repetitive, I know how you feel and I've been in your situation. Both at school, and then again at uni seeing all my course mates get onto GEM courses but getting 4 rejections myself.

If you do get 4 rejections this year, then I would take a gap year, get some work experience/travel/whatever you'd like to do, then reapply. You'll have learnt a lot, and it will put you at such an advantage!

But most of all, I would say be happy for your friends, and don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending