Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I asked my college to enter me for STEP 1 this year (currently in year 12), have just got the response that I cannot take the exam because the “STEP 1 is not part of university offer”. Is this true? I am quite surprised by this as I have heard of people doing step early or without any unis asking for it.
    If it is not true, are there any links/sources which confirm that I am eligible to take the paper (need some evidence to persuade the teacher...)?

Maybe they just mean that they wont pay for it because you dont need it for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Maybe they just mean that they wont pay for it because you dont need it for uni.
    They made me pay for it when I tried to enter for it.

ReputationRep:
    I took STEP I in Year 12. Try browsing the STEP website (google for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I took STEP I in Year 12. Try browsing the STEP website (google for it)
    Do you feel like you benefited from taking STEP I in year 12? Would you recommend doing it in year 12? At the moment I'm sort of on the fence as to whether or not I should have a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    I asked my college to enter me for STEP 1 this year (currently in year 12), have just got the response that I cannot take the exam because the “STEP 1 is not part of university offer”. Is this true? I am quite surprised by this as I have heard of people doing step early or without any unis asking for it.
    If it is not true, are there any links/sources which confirm that I am eligible to take the paper (need some evidence to persuade the teacher...)?
    That's a rubbish excuse from them. All you need is some evidence to convince them that you're good enough to do STEP early. Back in early year 12, I was told to come along to a one-off lunch time session with the second years to take a look at some STEP and BMO problems for fun. I was feeling reasonably happy with it so I approached them about STEP and they suggested that I could take it early. So that's what I did.

You are definitely eligible to take the paper as many people across the country also do the same thing. The benefits of doing STEP early are obvious and it will develop you as a mathematician. Don't expect it to be a ticket into your first choice University though.

ReputationRep:
    Your college may not have the funding to enter you into an exam which isn't 'necessary' for you - this is, I think, why you have to pay to take resits and extra modules. They may only get funding for you to take that exam when it's actively required by the conditions of a university offer. If you offer to pay yourself, it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    That's a rubbish excuse from them. All you need is some evidence to convince them that you're good enough to do STEP early. Back in early year 12, I was told to come along to a one-off lunch time session with the second years to take a look at some STEP and BMO problems for fun. I was feeling reasonably happy with it so I approached them about STEP and they suggested that I could take it early. So that's what I did.

You are definitely eligible to take the paper as many people across the country also do the same thing. The benefits of doing STEP early are obvious and it will develop you as a mathematician. Don't expect it to be a ticket into your first choice University though.
    Phew, so it is allowed; I panicked after reading this thread as I was considering doing it in Year 12 but now it is fine! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Not true. I did STEP I in Year 12.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by twig)
    It is certainly allowed but STEP does not attract any funding or lead to a recognised qualification so they probably cannot afford to pay for it from the examination fees budget. Budgets are really tight. You could ask your Head of Maths whether they have access to a separate pot for Gifted and Talented students.

ReputationRep:
    Even as part of my offer, I still needed to pay for entry into STEPs II and III (in Y13).

Will STEP I particularly benefit you in Y12, or are you a good enough mathematician that your current A-level grades and ability in an interview-esque situation will be enough to give you a good enough shot at the offers required? I can see a school being dubious about paying for an (expensive) exam that may or may not be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDavibob)
    Will STEP I particularly benefit you in Y12, or are you a good enough mathematician that your current A-level grades and ability in an interview-esque situation will be enough to give you a good enough shot at the offers required? I can see a school being dubious about paying for an (expensive) exam that may or may not be necessary.
    How leading is that?

Taking STEP early and doing well gives you a significant edge applying to Oxbridge. A-level grades in maths are pretty much meaningless, and interviews can always go awry due to factors on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    How leading is that?

Taking STEP early and doing well gives you a significant edge applying to Oxbridge. A-level grades in maths are pretty much meaningless, and interviews can always go awry due to factors on the day.
    Although it is important to stress that a good grade in STEP early is not necessarily enough to merit an offer if other factors such as A-Levels are weaker. I took it early and did reasonably well (state school so very little assistance). According to my feedback, I also did reasonably well in my interview (7.5, 8, 8.5 out of 10 for the interview scores) but, also according to my feedback, my grades let me down. That was down to me screwing up one AS module (M1 with 73 UMS) with C1-C4 averaging out to 98%. I further had a B in AS economics but since this is pretty much unrelated to maths, I can't imagine that this was too much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

I emailed sent an email to the STEP website, and they have also said it is allowed. Now just have to persuade my head of maths and exam admins in my school to enter me...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the persuasion. Even though it was part of my offer, I still had to pay nearly £80 to take STEP II & III at my college.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.